  • Computers
Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
August 2, 2004 7:48:08 PM

I have a file that has shown up in my root directory of my GW 450
Laptop that I don’t know what it is but am a bit suspicious of. Except
for hardware, my laptop and desktop have the same OS (XP Home Full
Installs, not upgrades), Personal Files, Programs and Application on
them. But… the desktop does not have this file in the root directory.
The file name is:

XPHOME.T

And this is what’s in it:

; Microsoft Windows Codename Whistler Personal, Professional, Server,
Advanced Server and Datacenter
; (c) 1994 - 2000 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
;
; Sample Unattended Setup Answer File
;
; This file contains information about how to automate the
installation
; or upgrade of Windows Codename Whistler so the
; Setup program runs without requiring user input.
;
[Unattended]
Unattendmode = FullUnattended
OemPreinstall = NO
TargetPath = *
Filesystem = ConvertNTFS
UnattendSwitch=Yes
OemSkipEula=Yes

[UserData]
FullName = Gateway_User
OrgName = Gateway
ComputerName = *
ProductKey= "JX4XP-TTPF9-JQX8J-GYGK3-6X6WD"

[GuiUnattended]
; Sets the Timezone to the Pacific Northwest
; Sets the Admin Password to NULL
; Turn AutoLogon ON and login once
TimeZone = "020"
AdminPassword = *
AutoLogon = Yes
AutoLogonCount = 1
OEMSkipWelcome = 1

[LicenseFilePrintData]
; For Server installs
AutoMode = "PerServer"
AutoUsers = "5"

[GuiRunOnce]
; List the programs that you want to lauch when the machine is logged
into for the first time "c:\pinsert.exe"

[Display]
BitsPerPel = 32
XResolution = 1024
YResolution = 768
VRefresh = 70

[Networking]

[Identification]
JoinWorkgroup = Workgroup

As you can see, it seems to be a script file that is used for the
unattended installation of Whistler. Forgive me if I am wrong but
wasn’t Whistler the beta of XP???? And if I am already running XP
then why this script on my system to do an upgrade to it if this is a
legitimate MS file that has made its way onto my laptop?

In the file, it shows that FullName = Gateway_User, OrgName = Gateway,
ComputerName = * and ProductKey= "JX4XP-TTPF9-JQX8J-GYGK3-6X6WD".
Okay, my FullName and OrgName is as shown but there is a ComputerName
that is NOT “*” and the ProductKey they show is NOT the actual
ProductKey. So they only got half of it right.

I have had no viruses on this machine and NAV is always up-to-date and
I do a full scan once a week. I also run AdAware, SpyBot S&D,
SpySweeper and PestPatrol once a week and every time I install a new
piece of software. I did find a keylogger a couple of weeks ago and
it was on both machines (Laptop and Desktop) but again, the Desktop
does not have this file in the root so that means the files is not
associated with that finding. Also, the desktop is the one that’s on
broadband all the time with the laptop only going on for needed
program/OS updates.

A search engine look for the file name comes up with nothing also….

Any Ideas……

Regards,
TR

More about : strange file showed day

Anonymous
August 4, 2004 2:17:18 AM

On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 15:48:08 -0400, TR <fakeaddress@forspammers.com>
wrote:

>I have a file that has shown up in my root directory of my GW 450
>Laptop that I don’t know what it is but am a bit suspicious of. Except
>for hardware, my laptop and desktop have the same OS (XP Home Full
>Installs, not upgrades), Personal Files, Programs and Application on
>them. But… the desktop does not have this file in the root directory.
>The file name is:
>
>XPHOME.T

Looks like the auto install sript file that Gateway would use on their
system CDs to semi-automate the re-install of the OS. Whistler was
not the BETA for XP - it's the internal Microsoft working name for XP.

It's nothing sinister.

Albert Alcoceba
<><
alberta@REMOVE.ihug.com.au
http://aussietrains.fotopic.net/
Remove REMOVE
August 4, 2004 2:17:19 AM

On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 22:17:18 +1000, Albert Alcoceba
<alberta@REMOVE.ihug.com.au> wrote:

>Looks like the auto install sript file that Gateway would use on their
>system CDs to semi-automate the re-install of the OS.

Okay, I can live with that but why, all of a sudden, has this thing
shown up on a 1.5 year old gateway system (actually, it has been 1
year since a full restoration was done on this computer).

> Whistler was
>not the BETA for XP - it's the internal Microsoft working name for XP.

And, this system was built/purchased a few years after XP hit the
market so you would have thought the name "Whistler" would not have
been associated with the OS in any MS or GW scripts that MS or GW
decided to put on my computer. And, why only one of my GW computers
and not both?

>It's nothing sinister.

Okay, good to hear. I just get troubled when stuff just shows up out
of nowhere on my computer, especially in the root directory. Did I
forget to mention that I am a security nut about my systems?

Thanks for the reply and Regards,
TR
!