  • Internet Access
  • Internet Service Providers
Last response: in Network Providers
July 16, 2005 10:55:02 PM

I probably should have asked sooner, but hesitate to see this topic brought
up again.

However, tomorrow I leave for a several days of camping at a state park. And
I'm wondering if I will be able to use Minutes of Use access as I did last
summer, through my America's Choice plan. A while back, there was much
discussion about claims that now doing this would result in a large bill for
it. Has anything really changed on this? I'm still on the same contract as
last year, same phone, etc.

--
Tom McCune
http://www.McCune.cc

More about : internet access america choice

Anonymous
July 16, 2005 10:55:03 PM

>Tom McCune <news1@DELETE_THISmccune.cc> wrote:

>I probably should have asked sooner, but hesitate to see this topic brought
>up again.
>
>However, tomorrow I leave for a several days of camping at a state park. And
>I'm wondering if I will be able to use Minutes of Use access as I did last
>summer, through my America's Choice plan. A while back, there was much
>discussion about claims that now doing this would result in a large bill for
>it. Has anything really changed on this? I'm still on the same contract as
>last year, same phone, etc.

Nothing has changed. The same rumors that AC accounts would be cut off
from National Access service you heard last year are still around, and
the same "experts" are claiming it will never change.

BTW, access via the slower 14.4 kbps Quick 2 Net is explicitly permitted
on AC accounts. All for Minutes of Use.

--
DD
Anonymous

Dapper Dave <expurgated@gmail.com> wrote:
>Nothing has changed. The same rumors that AC accounts
>would be cut off from National Access service you heard
>last year are still around, and the same "experts" are
>claiming it will never change.
>
>BTW, access via the slower 14.4 kbps Quick 2 Net is
>explicitly permitted on AC accounts. All for Minutes
>of Use.

Not on all America's Choice accounts.

If you switch to a new PDA phone like Treo 650 Verizon will
start charging you for data usage no matter how you connect
(unless you find an exceptional rep to let you stay on MOU).

I have America's Choice 400 and they're charging me $15/MB
even for connecting to Earthlink's local access number.
July 17, 2005 1:23:31 AM

Dapper Dave <expurgated@gmail.com> wrote in

> Nothing has changed. The same rumors that AC accounts would be cut off
> from National Access service you heard last year are still around, and
> the same "experts" are claiming it will never change.

Thank you very much. I was thinking that I might possibly have to switch to
using Road Runner's dial up, which I believe was slower way back when I tried
it.

> BTW, access via the slower 14.4 kbps Quick 2 Net is explicitly permitted
> on AC accounts. All for Minutes of Use.

I've only tried this a few times, but have never been able to make this
connection. Everybody has always provided the same settings for me to use
for this, so I can't explain why. But since the faster connection works,
I'll stick with it.

--
Tom McCune
http://www.McCune.cc

On 2005-07-16, Treo Leo <treoleo@gmail.com> wrote:
> If you switch to a new PDA phone like Treo 650 Verizon will
> start charging you for data usage no matter how you connect
> (unless you find an exceptional rep to let you stay on MOU).

Good to know. Thanks.

--
Sick of USENET postwhores? Trolls? Flamers?
Read the Killfile FAQ for Newsgroups to learn

Try at home if it even allows you to connect at the 1xrtt rate. My
connection was cut off, and only QNC still works (one of the reasons
why I'm leaving Verizon in 2 months when my contract runs out).

But it was cut off in all areas, so if it still works for you at home,
there's a good chance it will work while camping.

-MVL
!