Which processor to choose..

Alec

Distinguished
May 31, 2004

Hello,
I have an old PC :
motherboard: ELITE P6BAP-ME
processor: INTEL Pentium3 733Mhz
Now I'd like to put on this old motherboard a better processor.
Which one can be suitable? Ex. Celeron D 320?
Thank you for help.
AK

rush

"Alec" <caspionet@hotmail.com> wrote :

> Hello,
> I have an old PC :
> motherboard: ELITE P6BAP-ME
> processor: INTEL Pentium3 733Mhz
> Now I'd like to put on this old motherboard a better processor.
> Which one can be suitable? Ex. Celeron D 320?

this is a throw away computer now (or better charity)
You need a new mobo, ram, processor and powersupply (thats a bare
minimum)
Go for AMD, Intel is making a full of himselfe latelly selling house
heaters instead of processors.

Pozdrawiam.
--
RusH //
http://randki.o2.pl/profil.php?id_r=352019

"Alec" <caspionet@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I have an old PC :
> motherboard: ELITE P6BAP-ME
> processor: INTEL Pentium3 733Mhz
> Now I'd like to put on this old motherboard a better processor.
> Which one can be suitable? Ex. Celeron D 320?
> Thank you for help.
> AK

Other than mere prejudices, it's just about impossible to answer this
question without knowing some other things like:
1. What's the fastest CPU the mobo will take
2. Can you select the FSB speed on it?
3. Exactly what are you trying to accomplish?
For the last question, keep in mind that most users won't even notice a 50%
increase in speed for normal applications, though games are usually an
exception, as is any program that has a large amount of calculation like CAD
programs or large spreadsheets.

Norm

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 10:36:02 +0100, "Alec" <caspionet@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Hello,
>I have an old PC :
>motherboard: ELITE P6BAP-ME
>processor: INTEL Pentium3 733Mhz
>Now I'd like to put on this old motherboard a better processor.
>Which one can be suitable? Ex. Celeron D 320?
>Thank you for help.

www.powerleap.com lists a 1.4GHz Celeron for $100 as being compatible
with the ECS P6BAT-ME, which I would assume is the same motherboard.
That is the absolute faster processor you are going to get to work in
this system.

The Celeron D, P4, Athlon, Athlon64, etc. etc., all use a totally
different bus and architecture. Even if they would physically fit
(they won't), the differences in the bus are so great that there is
absolutely no reasonable way to get them to work together.

Keep in mind that a new ECS motherboard will only set you back about
$40 (they're pretty much a bottom-feeder brand), so it may well be
cheaper for you to purchase both a new motherboard and processor
rather than trying to upgrade this thing. As a general rule,
upgrading computers usually isn't worthwhile; replacing them is
cheaper/better more often than not.

My personal recommendation (considering that I'm guessing your on a
fairly tight budget), grab something like the following:

AMD Sempron 2400+ $60
Chaintech 7NJL6 $46.50
2 x 256MB PC3200 $85.27
Sapphire Radeon 9550 $59
------
Total: $250.77

(all prices care of www.newegg.com)

If needed, throw in a new power supply, case and hard drive. All in
all, you should be able to get a fairly decent setup that is MUCH
faster than any upgrades for your current system, and probably for not
much more expensive.

Tony Hill

Alec

Distinguished
May 31, 2004

THANK YOU very much to all of you!

Especially to those who gave me more detailed answers.

AK67