IBM to buy Apple?

Well here's a rumour that's bringing a glint to the eyes of
Mac-crack-addicts: IBM might be selling its PC business to buyout Apple
instead. Apparently it's all got something to do with anti-trust laws or
something that IBM can't simply buy Apple right now, without first
getting rid of its PC business.

Apple of IBM's eye? | The Register
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/12/06/ibm_apple_speculation/

Yousuf Khan

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 00:16:46 -0500, Yousuf Khan <bbbl67@ezrs.com>
wrote:

>Well here's a rumour that's bringing a glint to the eyes of
>Mac-crack-addicts: IBM might be selling its PC business to buyout Apple
>instead. Apparently it's all got something to do with anti-trust laws or
>something that IBM can't simply buy Apple right now, without first
>getting rid of its PC business.
>
>Apple of IBM's eye? | The Register
>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/12/06/ibm_apple_speculation/

Pure fantasy. Can you imagine Steve Jobs preparing transparencies for
his presentation to the Board of Directors in Armonk? Can you imagine
IBM, eager to rid itself of support for end-users, dealing with tech
support calls from artsy-types who can't transfer files from their
iPod to their iMac?

Since the PowerPC CPU will be used in the next XBox, perhaps IBM is
planning to buy Microsoft. Actually, they should have done that 22
years ago. Or better yet, since IBM is involved in the design of the
cell CPU in the next Play Station, perhaps IBM plans to buy Sony.
- -
Gary L.
Reply to the newsgroup only

wrote:

>Well here's a rumour that's bringing a glint to the eyes of
>Mac-crack-addicts: IBM might be selling its PC business to buyout Apple
>instead. Apparently it's all got something to do with anti-trust laws or
>something that IBM can't simply buy Apple right now, without first
>getting rid of its PC business.
>
>Apple of IBM's eye? | The Register
>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/12/06/ibm_apple_speculation/

Uhh... I think this one might be even a little to much for your
standard Mac addict... more of an emphasis on the 'crack addict' part
above..

I suppose it's possible, but I'd give this one about a
one-in-a-million chance of happening. Who knows though, I've been
wrong before.

-------------
Tony Hill

Gary L. wrote:
> Pure fantasy. Can you imagine Steve Jobs preparing transparencies for
> his presentation to the Board of Directors in Armonk? Can you imagine
> IBM, eager to rid itself of support for end-users, dealing with tech
> support calls from artsy-types who can't transfer files from their
> iPod to their iMac?

I definitely can't see Jobs putting himself in a subservient position.
However, all of the rest I can see happening. Apple has its own support
lines, which would seem to be ideally suited to help out Mac and Ipod
users. IBM might be interested in the consumer electronics aspect of
Apple. I guess these days computers also fall into the category of CE.

Of course Macintoshes have remained spectacularly expensive over the
years, maybe 3 to 5 times more expensive than average PCs, which would
make this a business that IBM could be interested in.

> Since the PowerPC CPU will be used in the next XBox, perhaps IBM is
> planning to buy Microsoft. Actually, they should have done that 22
> years ago. Or better yet, since IBM is involved in the design of the
> cell CPU in the next Play Station, perhaps IBM plans to buy Sony.

Apparently this Apple-IBM is a story that seems to reemerge every few
years. In the early days, IBM was considered the Macintosh's enemy
number one, when it was in charge of the x86 standards. These days IBM
is just another victim of x86 and Wintel, just the same as Apple.
Yousuf Khan

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 00:16:46 -0500, Yousuf Khan <bbbl67@ezrs.com> wrote:

>Well here's a rumour that's bringing a glint to the eyes of
>Mac-crack-addicts: IBM might be selling its PC business to buyout Apple
>instead. Apparently it's all got something to do with anti-trust laws or
>something that IBM can't simply buy Apple right now, without first
>getting rid of its PC business.
>
>Apple of IBM's eye? | The Register
>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/12/06/ibm_apple_speculation/

<chuckle>A slow news day at The Register? Obviously Apple's price is far
too high right now.

Rgds, George Macdonald

"Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67@ezrs.com> a écrit dans le message de

> Well here's a rumour that's bringing a glint to the eyes of
> Mac-crack-addicts: IBM might be selling its PC business to buyout
> Apple instead. Apparently it's all got something to do with anti-trust
> laws or something that IBM can't simply buy Apple right now, without
> first getting rid of its PC business.
>
> Apple of IBM's eye? | The Register
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/12/06/ibm_apple_speculation/

Anyway, the market share of IBM in the PC business must be very slim.
Many companies showed they are better in the home computer market, which
gave rise to the standard. Probably, IBM want to focus on the corporate
sector, where reputation is more important than price.

--
~~~~ clmasse at free dot F-country
Free technical support at : http://www.protonic.com/