Intel discontinues Pentium II

.... and I thought that Intel stopped making P2's years ago.

"It's amazing to see these things are still around, but this week
Intel told its customers that it is to formally discontinue production
of the Pentium II at 266, 333, 366 and 466MHz."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/12/03/intel_eol_p2/

http://slashdot.org/articles/04/12/07/1521250.shtml?tid=118

jw

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 15:48:03 -0600 lyon_wonder <lyon_wonder@yahoo.com>
wrote in Message id: <u39cr0passeha8tq3432fef7au93c5ldj6@4ax.com>:

>... and I thought that Intel stopped making P2's years ago.
>
>"It's amazing to see these things are still around, but this week
>Intel told its customers that it is to formally discontinue production
>of the Pentium II at 266, 333, 366 and 466MHz."
>
>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/12/03/intel_eol_p2/
>
>http://slashdot.org/articles/04/12/07/1521250.shtml?tid=118

Yeah, I thought I was seeing things when I got this in my email:

> PCN INDEX NEWS UPDATE
>
>Per your request, you are receiving Intel(R) product change notifications (PCN).
>You can obtain the details of this change at the Internet address listed below.
>
>PCNs will be moved to the ARCHIVE area 60 days after the implementation date.
>You can visit the ARCHIVE area by clicking on the 'Archive Area' link on the
>product change notification home page.

>Click on 'Login Form', fill out your Email/Password, click to continue,
>go to the top of the page and un-check 'Send me email' Check Box.

>1. Intel(R) Pentium(R) II Processor at 266MHz, 333MHz, 366MHz, and 466MHz, PCN 104599-00, PD
>
> ABSTRACT
>
>Due to a shift in demand, Intel's Infrastructure Processor Division (IPD) is announcing the discontinuance of the Intel(R) Pentium(R) II Processor at 266MHz, 333MHz, 366MHz, and 466MHz

Even stranger was that I never knew that there were P2s at 366 and 466MHz.
Were these slot processors or mobile parts?

Intel may have dropped the Pentium II from current production but they're
still making and selling 80186 & 80188 CPU's in the "embedded" market.
They're available up to 25 MHz, far beyond what was available when they
first became popular in the '80s. If you want to buy one, DigiKey has them
in their catalog.

AFAICT they're also still marketing (and I presume making from time to time)
'386 and '486 CPU's for the same "embedded" crowd.

Norm