GTA3: 100 hidden packages while before unlocking Staunton?

I know about getting to Staunton and Shoreside before they are
unlocked, via the broken bridge girder jumping and then either taking
the tunnels or jumping a boat onto land and pushing it across land past
Phil's.

It would be great to start the game with all 100 hidden packages so you
could get the rocket launcher early. 99 of the hidden packages seem to
be fairly easy once you know how to get across, but the hard one is the
one on the Shoreside lift bridge. It doesn't seem accessible in anyway
by climbing up on the bridge.

I've finally figured out how to fly the Dodo properly and I was
wondering if anyone had managed to fly the Dodo up to the lift in its
"up" position and grab that 100th package? If so, any tips on what
angle to take or where to land?
4 answers Last reply
More about gta3 hidden packages unlocking staunton

    Of course, as soon as I post the message I manage to do it. Just fly in
    through the girders from either the north or the south, and aim to run
    into the girders on the other side so the Dodo stays on the bridge.
    Then jump up on the Dodo and onto the median. Sweet! Plus you can
    easily jump back onto either side. Make sure the Dodo isn't damaged too
    much that it catches on fire when you hit the bridge because you need
    it to jump onto the median.

    In message <1115862389.653014.165360@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>
    dze27@yahoo.com wrote:

    > I've finally figured out how to fly the Dodo properly and I was
    > wondering if anyone had managed to fly the Dodo up to the lift in its
    > "up" position and grab that 100th package? If so, any tips on what
    > angle to take or where to land?

    It's surprisingly easy when you realise that most of the top of that
    structure, namely the red coloured "heavy" girders and the blue piping,
    can be travelled through.

    The hardest thing I found is getting enough height, but I eventually
    got it with this method. (By the way, in the strictest term of
    completing it without cheating, don't just spawn a Rhino to fly, it's
    probably easier with the Dodo).

    OK, take advantage of the games physics and get to Shoreside Vale to
    jack a Dodo. Park it in your garage in Staunton Island and save (This
    saves a lot of kerfuffle).

    Go to the Callahan bridge and line up the Dodo on the LEFT side
    (Oncoming traffic side). back up all the way to the huge hole and take
    off as you would normally. Fly straight until the end of the road, but
    just before you reach it start turning right. The bridge should pop
    into view just after turning the corner, and you want to aim the Dodo
    for the middle of those four tall girders-type things sticking up.

    If you've got enough height, great, release the X button to slow your
    air-speed and try to land on the deck of the bridge. The instant you
    touch down mash the triangle and square buttons to exit the vehicle
    before you fall of the other side.
    Another method that works is thus: when you just get over the bridge,
    release X and simply hold back to make the plane point it's nose to sky
    and then run out of airspeed. There's no danger of overshooting the
    mark then.

    You can now simply run/jump on to the bridge median and claim your
    prize package. You could also try jumping on the Dodo if it takes a few
    tries.

    If you haven't got enough height, fly past the bridge (As if you were
    heading for Cedar Grove in SV) and then swing left towards the airport.
    The idea is to simply circle until you've got enough height, but this
    is quite tricky in the Dodo. I'd also suggest using the directional
    stick as opposed to the button. The stick gives you "true" aircraft
    control (Down to ascend, up to descend) which makes it much more easy
    to control. The amount of times I went into a tailspin and/or ran out
    of airspeed just plain isn't funny :o)

    If I can find another video lead, I'll try and digitise a movie of me
    doing it to give you an idea of what not to do.

    Keep at it chief, you'll get it eventually. Bet those mafia men in
    Portland didn't know you could get your mitts on a rocket launcher....

    Cheers,
    Rob

    Great advice man, thanks for posting!

    Now to think of creative uses for the rocket launcher in Portland... :-)

    In message <1116197307.378071.58890@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>
    dze27@yahoo.com wrote:

    > Great advice man, thanks for posting!
    >
    > Now to think of creative uses for the rocket launcher in Portland... :-)

    One of my favourites:

    1. Grab a tall vehicle, like a Mule or Ambulance.

    2. Go to the bistro in St. Marks and drive the vehicle up the stairs.

    3. Jump on top of the vehicle then jump on to the roof. (By the way,
    these buildings seem to have an invisible floor about two feet above
    them, no idea why).

    4. Use the launcher to take out the police. My record for shooting down
    choppers is 39, the police on the ground can't touch you so you just
    have to avoid the machine gun fire for the helicopter.

    You'll also notice that the area around the bistro has been slightly
    modified for San Andreas. It is possible to get over that tall wall in
    the alley next to it, and there's a ramp to get out, but you never go
    there playing through the game. Could've been a good (Read:
    Frustrating) place to have hidden a package :o)

    Cheers,
    Rob

Games Video Games