GTA3: 100 hidden packages while before unlocking Staunton?

Last response: in Video Games
May 11, 2005 10:46:29 PM

I know about getting to Staunton and Shoreside before they are
unlocked, via the broken bridge girder jumping and then either taking
the tunnels or jumping a boat onto land and pushing it across land past
Phil's.

It would be great to start the game with all 100 hidden packages so you
could get the rocket launcher early. 99 of the hidden packages seem to
be fairly easy once you know how to get across, but the hard one is the
one on the Shoreside lift bridge. It doesn't seem accessible in anyway
by climbing up on the bridge.

I've finally figured out how to fly the Dodo properly and I was
wondering if anyone had managed to fly the Dodo up to the lift in its
"up" position and grab that 100th package? If so, any tips on what
angle to take or where to land?
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 1:09:49 AM

Of course, as soon as I post the message I manage to do it. Just fly in
through the girders from either the north or the south, and aim to run
into the girders on the other side so the Dodo stays on the bridge.
Then jump up on the Dodo and onto the median. Sweet! Plus you can
easily jump back onto either side. Make sure the Dodo isn't damaged too
much that it catches on fire when you hit the bridge because you need
it to jump onto the median.
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 12:57:16 PM

In message <1115862389.653014.165360@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>
dze27@yahoo.com wrote:

> I've finally figured out how to fly the Dodo properly and I was
> wondering if anyone had managed to fly the Dodo up to the lift in its
> "up" position and grab that 100th package? If so, any tips on what
> angle to take or where to land?

It's surprisingly easy when you realise that most of the top of that
structure, namely the red coloured "heavy" girders and the blue piping,
can be travelled through.

The hardest thing I found is getting enough height, but I eventually
got it with this method. (By the way, in the strictest term of
completing it without cheating, don't just spawn a Rhino to fly, it's
probably easier with the Dodo).

OK, take advantage of the games physics and get to Shoreside Vale to
jack a Dodo. Park it in your garage in Staunton Island and save (This
saves a lot of kerfuffle).

Go to the Callahan bridge and line up the Dodo on the LEFT side
(Oncoming traffic side). back up all the way to the huge hole and take
off as you would normally. Fly straight until the end of the road, but
just before you reach it start turning right. The bridge should pop
into view just after turning the corner, and you want to aim the Dodo
for the middle of those four tall girders-type things sticking up.

If you've got enough height, great, release the X button to slow your
air-speed and try to land on the deck of the bridge. The instant you
touch down mash the triangle and square buttons to exit the vehicle
before you fall of the other side.
Another method that works is thus: when you just get over the bridge,
release X and simply hold back to make the plane point it's nose to sky
and then run out of airspeed. There's no danger of overshooting the
mark then.

You can now simply run/jump on to the bridge median and claim your
prize package. You could also try jumping on the Dodo if it takes a few
tries.

If you haven't got enough height, fly past the bridge (As if you were
heading for Cedar Grove in SV) and then swing left towards the airport.
The idea is to simply circle until you've got enough height, but this
is quite tricky in the Dodo. I'd also suggest using the directional
stick as opposed to the button. The stick gives you "true" aircraft
control (Down to ascend, up to descend) which makes it much more easy
to control. The amount of times I went into a tailspin and/or ran out
of airspeed just plain isn't funny :o )

If I can find another video lead, I'll try and digitise a movie of me
doing it to give you an idea of what not to do.

Keep at it chief, you'll get it eventually. Bet those mafia men in
Portland didn't know you could get your mitts on a rocket launcher....

Cheers,
Rob
May 15, 2005 7:48:27 PM

Great advice man, thanks for posting!

Now to think of creative uses for the rocket launcher in Portland... :-)
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 12:56:38 AM

In message <1116197307.378071.58890@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>
dze27@yahoo.com wrote:

> Great advice man, thanks for posting!
>
> Now to think of creative uses for the rocket launcher in Portland... :-)

One of my favourites:

1. Grab a tall vehicle, like a Mule or Ambulance.

2. Go to the bistro in St. Marks and drive the vehicle up the stairs.

3. Jump on top of the vehicle then jump on to the roof. (By the way,
these buildings seem to have an invisible floor about two feet above
them, no idea why).

4. Use the launcher to take out the police. My record for shooting down
choppers is 39, the police on the ground can't touch you so you just
have to avoid the machine gun fire for the helicopter.

You'll also notice that the area around the bistro has been slightly
modified for San Andreas. It is possible to get over that tall wall in
the alley next to it, and there's a ramp to get out, but you never go
there playing through the game. Could've been a good (Read:
Frustrating) place to have hidden a package :o )

Cheers,
Rob