Foxconn 865A01-PE-6EKRS + Celeron D ?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

Hi,

Is anybody using the Foxconn 865A01-PE-6EKRS mobo (chipset Intel
865PE) with the Celeron D Prescott (in particular, Celeron D320
2.4GHz)? The mobo user's manual doesn't mention the Celeron D. On
the other hand, this very board is listed on the Intel web page as
supporting Celeron D ("for information purposes only", says Intel).

If yes - what are your impressions (stability, performance etc.)? I
am planning to get either the Foxconn or the MSI 865PE Neo2-PFS.

Thanks,

Wojtek

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

On 13 Dec 2004 21:08:05 -0500, Wojciech Cencek
<cencek@physics.udel.edu> wrote:

>Is anybody using the Foxconn 865A01-PE-6EKRS mobo (chipset Intel
>865PE) with the Celeron D Prescott (in particular, Celeron D320
>2.4GHz)? The mobo user's manual doesn't mention the Celeron D. On
>the other hand, this very board is listed on the Intel web page as
>supporting Celeron D ("for information purposes only", says Intel).
>
>If yes - what are your impressions (stability, performance etc.)? I
>am planning to get either the Foxconn or the MSI 865PE Neo2-PFS.

Last I checked Foxconn was just another the MANY PC Chips rebadgers.
Bargain basement prices due to very cheap designs and basically no
quality control.

MSI, on the other hand, is one of the top motherboard manufacturers in
the world. If I were you I would definitely spend the extra $5 and
get the MSI board. Err... well actually if I were you I would be
ignoring the Celeron D altogether due to the rather poor
price/performance ratio relative to AMD's Sempron and AthlonXP chips,
but that's another flame war that "JK" will probably bring up.

-------------
Tony Hill

Wojciech Cencek Wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is anybody using the Foxconn 865A01-PE-6EKRS mobo (chipset Intel
> 865PE) with the Celeron D Prescott (in particular, Celeron D320
> 2.4GHz)? The mobo user's manual doesn't mention the Celeron D. On
> the other hand, this very board is listed on the Intel web page as
> supporting Celeron D ("for information purposes only", says Intel).
>
> If yes - what are your impressions (stability, performance etc.)? I
> am planning to get either the Foxconn or the MSI 865PE Neo2-PFS.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Wojtek

Hello,
I currently am running a Foxconn 865A01-PE-6EKRS with a Celeron D 330
2.66Ghz. The board supports prescott core processors. Celeron Ds are
based on the Prescott core although they are only 533 mhz front bus. I
have had no problems with this board. It does allow for some
overclocking capability but nothing serious. The bios does not allow
for cpu votage changes and I can only go up to 165 front side bus in
the bios (it does have a software utility that allows you to take it up
higher) I am currently running stable overclocked to 192 mhz FSB @ 3.84
Ghz. Why overclock? Celerons have long been known for their
overclocking capabilities BUT!! although running at 3.84 ghz is
impressive you have to overclock a celeron to get any true performance
from them (due to a small on-chip cache of only 256K on the celeron
d... the prescott 800 FSB cpus have 1mb). If you are going to run any
type of prescott core cpu make sure you have a good heatsink and fan or
watercooling. I am currently running watercooling and my celeron D
processor runs at 38 C normal and overclocked. That may not seem that
high but compared to the 2.53 northwood core I was running before at
3.14 Ghz and 25C thats alot of difference w/air cooling the 2.53 only
ran @ 34 C. If you want a cheap setup or cannot afford much else, for
normal everyday use this is an ok setup. My recomendation for a pentium
processor would be to get a P4 2.53-3.0ghz 533 fsb 512k cache or P4
2.4c-3.2c 800fsb 512k cache if you don't want to overclock and want to
use a Intel processor. AMD Semperon or XP would be another option and a
very good buy for the money (they perform great and you don't have to
overclock their guts out to make them perform). This motherboard was
given to me so I am making the best of it and for $51 on ebay I bought
the celeron D and feel thats not bad for 3.84 Ghz.
Gerald

--
GeraldH