Gateway 1800 acting up II

I posted the following a few weeks ago and it was answered by Mr Neth
who said it was "housekeeping". I have done everything as far as
scan for virus, spywhere, updates, etc and it has not changed. Any
other suggestions would be appreciated. (and thank you for the
response Mr Neth) Unfortunately it did not improve.

I have a Gateway 1800CX Performance Computer which is about 3 to 4
years old. Over a period of the last month or so, it has started to
take a long long time from the time you press the power button until
it boots up and finally gets to the Windows XP main screen. I am
talking about 4 to 5 minutes sometimes. Also, during some of these
bootups, the screen will go black for about 3-4 minutes before it
boots up to the normal opening screen. Anyone know what this could
be?

I am running Windows XP. Originally it had Windows 98 then I used an
upgrade disk to get Windows XP Home. It worked fine for years and
now it is doing these things. Any help would be appreciated.

How much RAM do you have -- and have you scanned the drive with gwscan or
the utility that the driv maker supplies for that purpose?

"Maria Brown" <mbrown2@rgv.rr.com> wrote in message

> I posted the following a few weeks ago and it was answered by Mr Neth
> who said it was "housekeeping". I have done everything as far as
> scan for virus, spywhere, updates, etc and it has not changed. Any
> other suggestions would be appreciated. (and thank you for the
> response Mr Neth) Unfortunately it did not improve.
>

> I have a Gateway 1800CX Performance Computer which is about 3 to 4
> years old. Over a period of the last month or so, it has started to
> take a long long time from the time you press the power button until
> it boots up and finally gets to the Windows XP main screen. I am
> talking about 4 to 5 minutes sometimes. Also, during some of these
> bootups, the screen will go black for about 3-4 minutes before it
> boots up to the normal opening screen. Anyone know what this could
> be?
>
> I am running Windows XP. Originally it had Windows 98 then I used an
> upgrade disk to get Windows XP Home. It worked fine for years and
> now it is doing these things. Any help would be appreciated.

Yes. I ran gwscan and I have 512 MB RAM. THis all started several
weeks ago.

One question, would the system battery cause anything like this? I
have tried everything I can think of.

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 04:11:55 GMT, Maria Brown <mbrown2@rgv.rr.com>
wrote:

>Yes. I ran gwscan and I have 512 MB RAM. THis all started several
>weeks ago.
>
>One question, would the system battery cause anything like this? I
>have tried everything I can think of.

No I very much doubt the system battery is the problem.

How long since you've done a complete reformat and re-install of
Windows? You could just be weiged down with accumulated junk over the
years.

Albert Alcoceba
<><
alberta@REMOVE.ihug.com.au
http://aussietrains.fotopic.net/
Remove REMOVE

I reformatted about 3 months ago!

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 17:06:14 +1000, Albert Alcoceba
<alberta@REMOVE.ihug.com.au> wrote:

>On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 04:11:55 GMT, Maria Brown <mbrown2@rgv.rr.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Yes. I ran gwscan and I have 512 MB RAM. THis all started several
>>weeks ago.
>>
>>One question, would the system battery cause anything like this? I
>>have tried everything I can think of.
>
>No I very much doubt the system battery is the problem.
>
>How long since you've done a complete reformat and re-install of
>Windows? You could just be weiged down with accumulated junk over the
>years.
>

>Albert Alcoceba
> <><
>alberta@REMOVE.ihug.com.au