Intel owns Itanium completely now

HP has sold off its chip design team to Intel. It is now Intel's
complete responsibility to develop Itanium.

EE Times -Intel, HP part ways in Itanium 64-bit processor pact
http://www.eetimes.com/semi/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=55800328

Yousuf Khan
14 answers Last reply
More about intel owns itanium completely
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

    Yousuf Khan wrote:
    > HP has sold off its chip design team to Intel. It is now Intel's
    > complete responsibility to develop Itanium.
    >
    > EE Times -Intel, HP part ways in Itanium 64-bit processor pact
    > http://www.eetimes.com/semi/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=55800328
    >
    > Yousuf Khan

    Now they can reassign those people without fanfare.

  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

    Yousuf Khan <bbbl67@ezrs.com> wrote:

    >HP has sold off its chip design team to Intel. It is now Intel's
    >complete responsibility to develop Itanium.
    >
    >EE Times -Intel, HP part ways in Itanium 64-bit processor pact
    >http://www.eetimes.com/semi/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=55800328

    The vultures are circling the Itanic, as it staggers on.
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

    CJT wrote:

    > Yousuf Khan wrote:
    >
    >> HP has sold off its chip design team to Intel. It is now Intel's
    >> complete responsibility to develop Itanium.
    >>
    >> EE Times -Intel, HP part ways in Itanium 64-bit processor pact
    >> http://www.eetimes.com/semi/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=55800328
    >
    > Now they can reassign those people without fanfare.

    "Under the terms with Intel, HP's Itanium development team, which
    includes several hundred engineers, will be acquired by Intel and
    remain in Ft. Collins, Colo., according to the report."

    It seems they've been reassigned to Intel :-)

    --
    Regards, Grumble
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

    In article <0da3s0dv8i0fm1n1coaage4favu068f0ll@4ax.com>,
    chrisv@nospam.invalid says...
    > Yousuf Khan <bbbl67@ezrs.com> wrote:
    >
    > >HP has sold off its chip design team to Intel. It is now Intel's
    > >complete responsibility to develop Itanium.
    > >
    > >EE Times -Intel, HP part ways in Itanium 64-bit processor pact
    > >http://www.eetimes.com/semi/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=55800328
    >

    > The vultures are circling the Itanic, as it staggers on.

    "Damn the Icebergs! Full speed ahead!" (or something like that)

    --
    Keith
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

    I honestly think this just gave Itanium new life. It actually has a chance
    now. Having HP draped all over this was the worst thing that ever happened
    to it.

    "Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67@ezrs.com> wrote in message
    > HP has sold off its chip design team to Intel. It is now Intel's
    > complete responsibility to develop Itanium.
    >
    > EE Times -Intel, HP part ways in Itanium 64-bit processor pact
    > http://www.eetimes.com/semi/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=55800328
    >
    > Yousuf Khan
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

    Grumble wrote:
    > CJT wrote:
    >
    >> Yousuf Khan wrote:
    >>
    >>> HP has sold off its chip design team to Intel. It is now Intel's
    >>> complete responsibility to develop Itanium.
    >>>
    >>> EE Times -Intel, HP part ways in Itanium 64-bit processor pact
    >>> http://www.eetimes.com/semi/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=55800328
    >>

    >> Now they can reassign those people without fanfare.
    >

    > "Under the terms with Intel, HP's Itanium development team, which
    > includes several hundred engineers, will be acquired by Intel and
    > remain in Ft. Collins, Colo., according to the report."
    >
    > It seems they've been reassigned to Intel :-)

    That's what I mean. They can shift them within Intel. If they were
    still inside HP, that would be a lot harder, because there aren't any
    other big processor projects (that I know of) to which they could be
    silently moved. A layoff would be noticed.

  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

    In article <10s3o86nefkpk43@corp.supernews.com>, IhateSpam@stopspam.com
    says...
    > I honestly think this just gave Itanium new life. It actually has a chance
    > now. Having HP draped all over this was the worst thing that ever happened
    > to it.

    I'd love to hear your reasons for believing this! From all reports the
    architecture grew out of HP. ...unless you're saying that the "worst
    thing that ever happened" was to start work on it. ;-)

    --
    Keith
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

    "Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67@ezrs.com> wrote in message
    > HP has sold off its chip design team to Intel. It is now Intel's
    > complete responsibility to develop Itanium.

    According to today's Silicon Strategies (SJ Merc News) article, HP had
    to pledge $3B (that's _billion_) toward future development of Itanium
    servers as part of its price to get out of Dodge. ;-) Is that what
    you mean by "it is now Intel's complete responsibility to develop
    Itanium"?

    "HP will continue to use Itanium chips in its servers and will pledge
    $3 billion over the next three years in developing Itanium as a
    competitor in the $20 billion high-end server market," according to
    the report.
  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

    Felger Carbon wrote:
    > "Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67@ezrs.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>HP has sold off its chip design team to Intel. It is now Intel's
    >>complete responsibility to develop Itanium.
    >

    > According to today's Silicon Strategies (SJ Merc News) article, HP had
    > to pledge $3B (that's _billion_) toward future development of Itanium
    > servers as part of its price to get out of Dodge. ;-) Is that what
    > you mean by "it is now Intel's complete responsibility to develop
    > Itanium"?
    >

    > "HP will continue to use Itanium chips in its servers and will pledge
    > $3 billion over the next three years in developing Itanium as a
    > competitor in the $20 billion high-end server market," according to
    > the report.

    I don't think that money is going to develop Itanium _chips_. Instead,
    it's going to develop systems based on those chips.

    Which gives some indication of how easy to use the Itanium is.

  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

    Felger Carbon wrote:
    > According to today's Silicon Strategies (SJ Merc News) article, HP had
    > to pledge $3B (that's _billion_) toward future development of Itanium
    > servers as part of its price to get out of Dodge. ;-) Is that what
    > you mean by "it is now Intel's complete responsibility to develop
    > Itanium"?

    Yeah, but that's simply to sustain its own Itanium server division for
    the next few years, so Intel doesn't look like Don Quixote. It's like
    Intel can continue to point out that it's still got real customers for
    its chip, and that it isn't simply stubbornly continuing to produce
    Itaniums just to spite the world.

    Yousuf Khan
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

    Judd wrote:
    > I honestly think this just gave Itanium new life. It actually has a chance
    > now. Having HP draped all over this was the worst thing that ever happened
    > to it.

    How so?

    Yousuf Khan
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

    On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 17:12:14 GMT, CJT <abujlehc@prodigy.net> wrote:

    >Felger Carbon wrote:
    >> "Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67@ezrs.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>HP has sold off its chip design team to Intel. It is now Intel's
    >>>complete responsibility to develop Itanium.
    >>

    >> According to today's Silicon Strategies (SJ Merc News) article, HP had
    >> to pledge $3B (that's _billion_) toward future development of Itanium
    >> servers as part of its price to get out of Dodge. ;-) Is that what
    >> you mean by "it is now Intel's complete responsibility to develop
    >> Itanium"?
    >>

    >> "HP will continue to use Itanium chips in its servers and will pledge
    >> $3 billion over the next three years in developing Itanium as a
    >> competitor in the $20 billion high-end server market," according to
    >> the report.
    >>

    >I don't think that money is going to develop Itanium _chips_. Instead,
    >it's going to develop systems based on those chips.
    >
    >Which gives some indication of how easy to use the Itanium is.

    otoh, it may represent the total value of Itanium-based business HP marketing
    is signing up to generate over the next three years...
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

    On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 14:39:24 -0500, Keith R. Williams <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:

    >In article <10s3o86nefkpk43@corp.supernews.com>, IhateSpam@stopspam.com
    >says...
    >> I honestly think this just gave Itanium new life. It actually has a chance
    >> now. Having HP draped all over this was the worst thing that ever happened
    >> to it.
    >
    >I'd love to hear your reasons for believing this! From all reports the
    >architecture grew out of HP. ...unless you're saying that the "worst
    >thing that ever happened" was to start work on it. ;-)

    You gotta believe there are a whole bunch of HP engineers that feel that way
    right about now :-(

    /daytripper (frankly, I thought he was trying to be "ironical" and probably
    should have put quotes around the body of his post ;-)
  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

    On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 00:22:44 +0000, daytripper wrote:

    > On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 14:39:24 -0500, Keith R. Williams <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <10s3o86nefkpk43@corp.supernews.com>, IhateSpam@stopspam.com
    >>says...
    >>> I honestly think this just gave Itanium new life. It actually has a chance
    >>> now. Having HP draped all over this was the worst thing that ever happened
    >>> to it.
    >>
    >>I'd love to hear your reasons for believing this! From all reports the
    >>architecture grew out of HP. ...unless you're saying that the "worst
    >>thing that ever happened" was to start work on it. ;-)
    >
    > You gotta believe there are a whole bunch of HP engineers that feel that way
    > right about now :-(

    Fully agree. However, unfortunate as it is, that's life in the fast lane.
    Been there - done that, but somehow survived (and if I knew how, I'd sell
    it and live next to Billy).

    > /daytripper (frankly, I thought he was trying to be "ironical" and
    > probably should have put quotes around the body of his post ;-)

    I'll let him tell me I'm all wet in my reading, but I didn't see any irony
    at all. "I honestly think" and "having HP draped all over" doesn't imply
    irony at all. ...rather I infer ignorance.

    --
    Keith

CPUs Hewlett Packard Intel Product