Intel owns Itanium completely now

cjt

Yousuf Khan wrote:
> HP has sold off its chip design team to Intel. It is now Intel's
> complete responsibility to develop Itanium.
>
> EE Times -Intel, HP part ways in Itanium 64-bit processor pact
> http://www.eetimes.com/semi/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=55800328
>
> Yousuf Khan

Now they can reassign those people without fanfare.

Yousuf Khan <bbbl67@ezrs.com> wrote:

>HP has sold off its chip design team to Intel. It is now Intel's
>complete responsibility to develop Itanium.
>
>EE Times -Intel, HP part ways in Itanium 64-bit processor pact
>http://www.eetimes.com/semi/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=55800328

The vultures are circling the Itanic, as it staggers on.

CJT wrote:

> Yousuf Khan wrote:
>
>> HP has sold off its chip design team to Intel. It is now Intel's
>> complete responsibility to develop Itanium.
>>
>> EE Times -Intel, HP part ways in Itanium 64-bit processor pact
>> http://www.eetimes.com/semi/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=55800328
>
> Now they can reassign those people without fanfare.

"Under the terms with Intel, HP's Itanium development team, which
includes several hundred engineers, will be acquired by Intel and
remain in Ft. Collins, Colo., according to the report."

It seems they've been reassigned to Intel :)

--
Regards, Grumble

In article <0da3s0dv8i0fm1n1coaage4favu068f0ll@4ax.com>,
chrisv@nospam.invalid says...
> Yousuf Khan <bbbl67@ezrs.com> wrote:
>
> >HP has sold off its chip design team to Intel. It is now Intel's
> >complete responsibility to develop Itanium.
> >
> >EE Times -Intel, HP part ways in Itanium 64-bit processor pact
> >http://www.eetimes.com/semi/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=55800328
>

> The vultures are circling the Itanic, as it staggers on.

"Damn the Icebergs! Full speed ahead!" (or something like that)

--
Keith

I honestly think this just gave Itanium new life. It actually has a chance
now. Having HP draped all over this was the worst thing that ever happened
to it.

"Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67@ezrs.com> wrote in message
> HP has sold off its chip design team to Intel. It is now Intel's
> complete responsibility to develop Itanium.
>
> EE Times -Intel, HP part ways in Itanium 64-bit processor pact
> http://www.eetimes.com/semi/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=55800328
>
> Yousuf Khan

cjt

Grumble wrote:
> CJT wrote:
>
>> Yousuf Khan wrote:
>>
>>> HP has sold off its chip design team to Intel. It is now Intel's
>>> complete responsibility to develop Itanium.
>>>
>>> EE Times -Intel, HP part ways in Itanium 64-bit processor pact
>>> http://www.eetimes.com/semi/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=55800328
>>

>> Now they can reassign those people without fanfare.
>

> "Under the terms with Intel, HP's Itanium development team, which
> includes several hundred engineers, will be acquired by Intel and
> remain in Ft. Collins, Colo., according to the report."
>
> It seems they've been reassigned to Intel :)

That's what I mean. They can shift them within Intel. If they were
still inside HP, that would be a lot harder, because there aren't any
other big processor projects (that I know of) to which they could be
silently moved. A layoff would be noticed.

In article <10s3o86nefkpk43@corp.supernews.com>, IhateSpam@stopspam.com
says...
> I honestly think this just gave Itanium new life. It actually has a chance
> now. Having HP draped all over this was the worst thing that ever happened
> to it.

I'd love to hear your reasons for believing this! From all reports the
architecture grew out of HP. ...unless you're saying that the "worst
thing that ever happened" was to start work on it. ;-)

--
Keith

"Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67@ezrs.com> wrote in message
> HP has sold off its chip design team to Intel. It is now Intel's
> complete responsibility to develop Itanium.

According to today's Silicon Strategies (SJ Merc News) article, HP had
to pledge $3B (that's _billion_) toward future development of Itanium
servers as part of its price to get out of Dodge. ;-) Is that what
you mean by "it is now Intel's complete responsibility to develop
Itanium"?

"HP will continue to use Itanium chips in its servers and will pledge
$3 billion over the next three years in developing Itanium as a
competitor in the $20 billion high-end server market," according to
the report.

cjt

Felger Carbon wrote:
> "Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67@ezrs.com> wrote in message
>
>>HP has sold off its chip design team to Intel. It is now Intel's
>>complete responsibility to develop Itanium.
>

> According to today's Silicon Strategies (SJ Merc News) article, HP had
> to pledge $3B (that's _billion_) toward future development of Itanium
> servers as part of its price to get out of Dodge. ;-) Is that what
> you mean by "it is now Intel's complete responsibility to develop
> Itanium"?
>

> "HP will continue to use Itanium chips in its servers and will pledge
> $3 billion over the next three years in developing Itanium as a
> competitor in the $20 billion high-end server market," according to
> the report.

I don't think that money is going to develop Itanium _chips_. Instead,
it's going to develop systems based on those chips.

Which gives some indication of how easy to use the Itanium is.

Felger Carbon wrote:
> According to today's Silicon Strategies (SJ Merc News) article, HP had
> to pledge $3B (that's _billion_) toward future development of Itanium
> servers as part of its price to get out of Dodge. ;-) Is that what
> you mean by "it is now Intel's complete responsibility to develop
> Itanium"?

Yeah, but that's simply to sustain its own Itanium server division for
the next few years, so Intel doesn't look like Don Quixote. It's like
Intel can continue to point out that it's still got real customers for
its chip, and that it isn't simply stubbornly continuing to produce
Itaniums just to spite the world.

Yousuf Khan

Judd wrote:
> I honestly think this just gave Itanium new life. It actually has a chance
> now. Having HP draped all over this was the worst thing that ever happened
> to it.

How so?

Yousuf Khan

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 17:12:14 GMT, CJT <abujlehc@prodigy.net> wrote:

>Felger Carbon wrote:
>> "Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67@ezrs.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>HP has sold off its chip design team to Intel. It is now Intel's
>>>complete responsibility to develop Itanium.
>>

>> According to today's Silicon Strategies (SJ Merc News) article, HP had
>> to pledge $3B (that's _billion_) toward future development of Itanium
>> servers as part of its price to get out of Dodge. ;-) Is that what
>> you mean by "it is now Intel's complete responsibility to develop
>> Itanium"?
>>

>> "HP will continue to use Itanium chips in its servers and will pledge
>> $3 billion over the next three years in developing Itanium as a
>> competitor in the $20 billion high-end server market," according to
>> the report.
>>

>I don't think that money is going to develop Itanium _chips_. Instead,
>it's going to develop systems based on those chips.
>
>Which gives some indication of how easy to use the Itanium is.

otoh, it may represent the total value of Itanium-based business HP marketing
is signing up to generate over the next three years...

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 14:39:24 -0500, Keith R. Williams <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:

>In article <10s3o86nefkpk43@corp.supernews.com>, IhateSpam@stopspam.com
>says...
>> I honestly think this just gave Itanium new life. It actually has a chance
>> now. Having HP draped all over this was the worst thing that ever happened
>> to it.
>
>I'd love to hear your reasons for believing this! From all reports the
>architecture grew out of HP. ...unless you're saying that the "worst
>thing that ever happened" was to start work on it. ;-)

You gotta believe there are a whole bunch of HP engineers that feel that way
right about now :-(

/daytripper (frankly, I thought he was trying to be "ironical" and probably
should have put quotes around the body of his post ;-)

keith

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 00:22:44 +0000, daytripper wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 14:39:24 -0500, Keith R. Williams <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:
>
>>In article <10s3o86nefkpk43@corp.supernews.com>, IhateSpam@stopspam.com
>>says...
>>> I honestly think this just gave Itanium new life. It actually has a chance
>>> now. Having HP draped all over this was the worst thing that ever happened
>>> to it.
>>
>>I'd love to hear your reasons for believing this! From all reports the
>>architecture grew out of HP. ...unless you're saying that the "worst
>>thing that ever happened" was to start work on it. ;-)
>
> You gotta believe there are a whole bunch of HP engineers that feel that way
> right about now :-(

Fully agree. However, unfortunate as it is, that's life in the fast lane.
Been there - done that, but somehow survived (and if I knew how, I'd sell
it and live next to Billy).

> /daytripper (frankly, I thought he was trying to be "ironical" and
> probably should have put quotes around the body of his post ;-)

I'll let him tell me I'm all wet in my reading, but I didn't see any irony
at all. "I honestly think" and "having HP draped all over" doesn't imply
irony at all. ...rather I infer ignorance.

--
Keith