Lenovo will be using AMD processors in IBM PCs!

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

Here's something I found interesting. Lenovo will be using AMD
processors in its business-class IBM PC line. A few years ago, they
wouldn't have even thought of using AMD processors inside business PCs,
for fear that businessmen wouldn't understand who AMD were.

Forbes.com: Lenovo CEO Looks Ahead
http://www.forbes.com/2004/12/17/cz_rf_1217lenovo.html

"Yang says one area the two haven't talked about in terms of working
together is microprocessors. That will disappoint some electronics
industry analysts who have speculated otherwise. Yang says Lenovo
currently plans to use only Intel (nasdaq: INTC - news - people ) and
Advanced Micro Devices (nyse: AMD - news - people ) products. "

Yousuf Khan

keith

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 23:28:02 -0500, Yousuf Khan wrote:

> Here's something I found interesting. Lenovo will be using AMD
> processors in its business-class IBM PC line. A few years ago, they
> wouldn't have even thought of using AMD processors inside business PCs,
> for fear that businessmen wouldn't understand who AMD were.

Umm, IBM used *both* AMD K6's and Cyrix M2's in some desktop units.
....perhaps not too many, but some. This isn't quite like Dell swearing
off Intel. ;-)

> Forbes.com: Lenovo CEO Looks Ahead
> http://www.forbes.com/2004/12/17/cz_rf_1217lenovo.html
>
> "Yang says one area the two haven't talked about in terms of working
> together is microprocessors. That will disappoint some electronics
> industry analysts who have speculated otherwise. Yang says Lenovo
> currently plans to use only Intel (nasdaq: INTC - news - people ) and
> Advanced Micro Devices (nyse: AMD - news - people ) products. "

Since IBM no longer plays in the x86 market, I don't see anything too
surprising here.

--
Keith

"keith" <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote in message
> On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 23:28:02 -0500, Yousuf Khan wrote:
>
> Umm, IBM used *both* AMD K6's and Cyrix M2's in some desktop units.
> ...perhaps not too many, but some. This isn't quite like Dell swearing
> off Intel. ;-)
>
> --
> Keith

Yeah, but were they using AMD/Cyrix processesor's in their *business* line
of computers before? Perhaps not earth shattering but it is nice to see
competition creep into the corporate sector assuming they do go ahead and
offer an AMD choice in their business line.

Carlo

keith

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 22:54:40 -0500, Carlo Razzeto wrote:

> "keith" <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 23:28:02 -0500, Yousuf Khan wrote:
>>
>> Umm, IBM used *both* AMD K6's and Cyrix M2's in some desktop units.
>> ...perhaps not too many, but some. This isn't quite like Dell swearing
>> off Intel. ;-)
>>
>> --
>> Keith
>
> Yeah, but were they using AMD/Cyrix processesor's in their *business* line
> of computers before? Perhaps not earth shattering but it is nice to see
> competition creep into the corporate sector assuming they do go ahead and
> offer an AMD choice in their business line.

No, not "business line", but note that most of IBM's "business line"
didn't go with this deal. Only the "Think" branded stuff went to Lenovo.
IBM kept all server lines and the "business line" workstations
(IntelliStation). Of course ThinkPads have always been Intel, AFAIK.

My point is that IBM *has* used other's processors in the desktop arena.

--
Keith

keith wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 23:28:02 -0500, Yousuf Khan wrote:
>

>>Here's something I found interesting. Lenovo will be using AMD
>>processors in its business-class IBM PC line. A few years ago, they
>>wouldn't have even thought of using AMD processors inside business PCs,
>>for fear that businessmen wouldn't understand who AMD were.
>

> Umm, IBM used *both* AMD K6's and Cyrix M2's in some desktop units.
> ...perhaps not too many, but some. This isn't quite like Dell swearing
> off Intel. ;-)

That was a long, long time ago, possibly in a Galaxy far, far away even. :)

Modern IBM PCs were Intel-only.

Yousuf Khan

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 13:04:48 -0500, Yousuf Khan wrote:

> keith wrote:
>> On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 23:28:02 -0500, Yousuf Khan wrote:
>>

>>>Here's something I found interesting. Lenovo will be using AMD
>>>processors in its business-class IBM PC line. A few years ago, they
>>>wouldn't have even thought of using AMD processors inside business PCs,
>>>for fear that businessmen wouldn't understand who AMD were.
>>

>> Umm, IBM used *both* AMD K6's and Cyrix M2's in some desktop units.
>> ...perhaps not too many, but some. This isn't quite like Dell swearing
>> off Intel. ;-)
>
> That was a long, long time ago, possibly in a Galaxy far, far away even. :)
>
> Modern IBM PCs were Intel-only.
>
> Yousuf Khan

IBM sells Opteron servers,

http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/opteron/325/index.html

General Schvantzkoph wrote:

>>That was a long, long time ago, possibly in a Galaxy far, far away even. :)
>>
>>Modern IBM PCs were Intel-only.
>>
>> Yousuf Khan
>

> IBM sells Opteron servers,

They're not PCs.

Yousuf Khan

mygarbage2000

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2002
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 22:54:40 -0500, "Carlo Razzeto"
<crazzeto@hotmail.com> wrote:
....snip...

>Yeah, but were they using AMD/Cyrix processesor's in their *business* line
>of computers before? Perhaps not earth shattering but it is nice to see
>competition creep into the corporate sector assuming they do go ahead and
>offer an AMD choice in their business line.
>
>Carlo

I remember seing around 2000 an ad for NetVista based on Athlon (was
it 1200 mhz? - could not remember.) AFAIK, NetVista _was_ a business
PC line (or so believed my then-employer - but they bought only
P3-based models)