  • Video Games
Last response: in PC Gaming
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 9:47:15 PM

When is the first helicopter available? I'm trying to find an easier way to
get the rocket launcher from the top of the building in Los Santos. I can
get up and off the building with the Dodo but it would be a lot easier with
a copter. Anyone know where to find one during In the Beginning? Thanks.

More about : gta helicopter

Anonymous
May 16, 2005 2:01:57 AM

Corey Simonator wrote:

> When is the first helicopter available? I'm trying to find an easier way to
> get the rocket launcher from the top of the building in Los Santos. I can
> get up and off the building with the Dodo but it would be a lot easier with
> a copter. Anyone know where to find one during In the Beginning? Thanks.

I think there's one up by the dam and there's an open one on San Fiero
airport (There are three, it is the small Maverick) but this would
mean flying or swimming into areas where you will become a very wanted
person. Might not be worth the risk

To be honest although they're fun you shouldn't need the rocket
launcher this early in the game. There are missions later where it or
the heat seeker are needed but I can't think of a mission at the start
that needed one

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look

"Corey Simonator" <smashmouth@option.com> wrote in message
news:D 68g20$hni$1@domitilla.aioe.org...
> When is the first helicopter available? I'm trying to find an easier way
> get the rocket launcher from the top of the building in Los Santos. I can
> get up and off the building with the Dodo but it would be a lot easier
> with
> a copter. Anyone know where to find one during In the Beginning? Thanks.

Try this.

Get a couple of parachutes (from the top of the World's Tallest Building in
LS) and use one to descend to the roof that has the rocket launcher. (Yes,
you can reach it by parachute.) Get the launcher, then use the second chute
to get down. (I think you can have more than one parachute in inventory,
right?)

If you want plenty of rockets, stay on the roof for awhile and wait for the
launcher to keep re-spawning.

--cleve
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 7:30:55 PM

In article <d68g20$hni$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
Corey Simonator <smashmouth@option.com> wrote:
>When is the first helicopter available?

There's an unlocked one in San Fierro airport from the begning. Involves
stealing it with a huge wanted level, but it's not far from there back to
Red County. Just watch out for that Hydra!
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 9:39:17 PM

Chris Brown wrote:

> In article <d68g20$hni$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
> Corey Simonator <smashmouth@option.com> wrote:
> >When is the first helicopter available?
>
> There's an unlocked one in San Fierro airport from the begning. Involves
> stealing it with a huge wanted level, but it's not far from there back to
> Red County. Just watch out for that Hydra!

not to mention mountains and trees etc leaping up for you to hit
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 12:30:29 AM

In article <B45ie.81345$tQ.28921@fed1read06>, Cleve <clevens@cox.net> wrote:

>Get a couple of parachutes (from the top of the World's Tallest Building in
>LS) and use one to descend to the roof that has the rocket launcher. (Yes,
>you can reach it by parachute.) Get the launcher, then use the second chute
>to get down. (I think you can have more than one parachute in inventory,
>right?)

'fraid not.
May 17, 2005 2:33:04 AM

Cleve wrote:
> "Corey Simonator" <smashmouth@option.com> wrote in message
> news:D 68g20$hni$1@domitilla.aioe.org...
>> When is the first helicopter available? I'm trying to find an easier
>> way to
>> get the rocket launcher from the top of the building in Los Santos.
>> I can get up and off the building with the Dodo but it would be a
>> lot easier with
>> a copter. Anyone know where to find one during In the Beginning?
>> Thanks.
>>

> Try this.
>
> Get a couple of parachutes (from the top of the World's Tallest
> Building in LS) and use one to descend to the roof that has the
> rocket launcher. (Yes, you can reach it by parachute.) Get the
> launcher, then use the second chute to get down. (I think you can
> have more than one parachute in inventory, right?)
>

> If you want plenty of rockets, stay on the roof for awhile and wait
> for the launcher to keep re-spawning.
>

> --cleve

Have you actually tried this Cleve? IIRC once you use a parachute it/ they
are gone until you pick another one up........

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 12:35:47 AM

In message <d68g20$hni$1@domitilla.aioe.org>
"Corey Simonator" <smashmouth@option.com> wrote:

> When is the first helicopter available? I'm trying to find an easier way to
> get the rocket launcher from the top of the building in Los Santos. I can
> get up and off the building with the Dodo but it would be a lot easier with
> a copter. Anyone know where to find one during In the Beginning? Thanks.

The first available helicopter to my knowledge is at Easter Bay Airport
in San Fierro. You'll need a car to jump on top of the security booth
and gain access to the airport runways though, plus the Leviathan,
Raindance, Dodo, Shamal and that Juank Air plane are all locked. The
humble Maverick served me very well though :o )

You don't have to do the pilot school to gain early access to a chopper
in Los Santos either. After Toreno's last mission and the last garage
mission for Cesar in San Fierro (Which unlocks the Desert), you can
claim a Sea Sparrow from the bottom of the Sherman Dam.

At the same time; a Maverick will also spawn at the SF police HQ,
another on top of one of the tallest buildings in LS and a Raindance
will appear at Santa Monica beach (Directly south of one of your
hideouts).

This comes in VERY handy for dating Helena.

Cheers,
Rob
May 18, 2005 2:51:25 AM

"M" <spam@spamme.com> wrote in message
> Cleve wrote:
>> "Corey Simonator" <smashmouth@option.com> wrote in message
>> news:D 68g20$hni$1@domitilla.aioe.org...
>>> When is the first helicopter available? I'm trying to find an easier
>>> way to
>>> get the rocket launcher from the top of the building in Los Santos.
>>> I can get up and off the building with the Dodo but it would be a
>>> lot easier with
>>> a copter. Anyone know where to find one during In the Beginning?
>>> Thanks.
>>>

>> Try this.
>>
>> Get a couple of parachutes (from the top of the World's Tallest
>> Building in LS) and use one to descend to the roof that has the
>> rocket launcher. (Yes, you can reach it by parachute.) Get the
>> launcher, then use the second chute to get down. (I think you can
>> have more than one parachute in inventory, right?)
>>

>> If you want plenty of rockets, stay on the roof for awhile and wait
>> for the launcher to keep re-spawning.
>>

>> --cleve
>
> Have you actually tried this Cleve? IIRC once you use a parachute it/ they
> are gone until you pick another one up........

Getting to the rocket launcher this way, yes. Using two chutes, no.

You can't have more than one chute in inventory? Ooo -- nasty on Rockstar's
part! You can get to the rocket launcher with a parachute -- but you can't
get off the building alive! Bastards.

Oh well. Use the Dodo. It's not that hard to land on that roof and take
off again. (Or, get a chute, fly the Dodo over, bail out low without using
the chute, get the launcher, parachute off the building. There are ways.)

--cleve
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 3:01:13 AM

"Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Corey Simonator wrote:
>
> To be honest although they're fun you shouldn't need the rocket
> launcher this early in the game. There are missions later where it or
> the heat seeker are needed but I can't think of a mission at the start
> that needed one

There's "need" -- and then there's "want".

In my second play-through, I've weathered the 4-star to get a heat-seeker
from LV near the beginning of the game. (Took some trying.)

It's humorous to look at my map. Everything's grayed out except parts of
LS -- and the bee-line I made up into LV to retrieve the heat-seeker.

(Can't seem to knock down the airliner that periodically flies over LS
(especially when you've just come out of a safe-house like CJ's place).
Don't think you can.)

--cleve
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 7:06:43 AM

I just land on the roof. It's a challenge, and if you don't make the
landing, there's the parachute option.

I usually approach the roof from slightly below, and lose a little
speed by flying up to the roof level doing a land-by-stalling
manoeuver.

I know you don't need rocket launchers for much, but since when did
"need" come into it? :-)

Phil Hibbs.
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 7:14:43 AM

Yes, but he has his guns out here in reality, whereas ours are safely
locked away in a fantasy world.

Phil Hibbs.
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 11:13:56 AM

Cleve wrote:

> "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Corey Simonator wrote:
> >
> > To be honest although they're fun you shouldn't need the rocket
> > launcher this early in the game. There are missions later where it or
> > the heat seeker are needed but I can't think of a mission at the start
> > that needed one
> >

> There's "need" -- and then there's "want".
>
> In my second play-through, I've weathered the 4-star to get a heat-seeker
> from LV near the beginning of the game. (Took some trying.)
>
> It's humorous to look at my map. Everything's grayed out except parts of
> LS -- and the bee-line I made up into LV to retrieve the heat-seeker.
>
> (Can't seem to knock down the airliner that periodically flies over LS
> (especially when you've just come out of a safe-house like CJ's place).
> Don't think you can.)
>
> --cleve

:o ) reminds me of when I first started playing GTA3 and spent ages
trying to shoot them down, finally getting access to the airport and
driving straight towards one on the runway just to go straight through
it. I guess some objects are probably still just for looks and not
part of the play
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 5:13:23 PM

On 18 May 2005 03:14:43 -0700,
snarks@gmail.com <snarks@gmail.com> wrote
in Msg. <1116411283.230307.72670@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>
> Yes, but he has his guns out here in reality, whereas ours are safely
> locked away in a fantasy world.

That's the problem with the gun nuts: They live in a (quite scary) fantasy
world of their own, yet their guns are real.

What pisses me off is that by mid-game I had collected about 100 HSRs for
no good reason but hadn't used them yet for lack of a good mayhem vantage
point. A short while ago I noticed that my launcher had vanished for some
reason or other (maybe some mission had replaced it by another gun). Now
that I know I about this cool spot I must go and re-collect all those damn
rockets again.

It's sad that only so few road vehicles make it to the pond (compared to
helis). And from the way I understand it, the game can keep track of only
so many vehicles at a time -- active or wrecks --, so I wonder if all
those zombie helicopters stay there in the pond, won't they stop coming in
sooner or later?

Ohh -- so much to find out. But let's first get some more rockets.

bob
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 5:13:24 PM

"Robert Latest" <boblatest@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> It's sad that only so few road vehicles make it to the pond (compared to
> helis). And from the way I understand it, the game can keep track of only
> so many vehicles at a time -- active or wrecks --, so I wonder if all
> those zombie helicopters stay there in the pond, won't they stop coming in
> sooner or later?

Right. You reach a point where no more come (or only rarely). But it's
entertaining to watch the ones that have crashed near the edge of the pond
try to take off again.

--cleve
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 8:44:30 PM

In message <3f0tbjF5dat9U1@individual.net>
Robert Latest <boblatest@yahoo.com> wrote:

> That's the problem with the gun nuts: They live in a (quite scary) fantasy
> world of their own, yet their guns are real.

To quote Chatterbox from GTAIII;

"Guns don't kill people, bullets kill people".

Cheers,
Rob
May 19, 2005 12:15:11 AM

"Robert Latest" <boblatest@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On 18 May 2005 03:14:43 -0700,
> snarks@gmail.com <snarks@gmail.com> wrote
> in Msg. <1116411283.230307.72670@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>
>> Yes, but he has his guns out here in reality, whereas ours are safely
>> locked away in a fantasy world.
>
> That's the problem with the gun nuts: They live in a (quite scary) fantasy
> world of their own, yet their guns are real.
>
> What pisses me off is that by mid-game I had collected about 100 HSRs for
> no good reason but hadn't used them yet for lack of a good mayhem vantage
> point. A short while ago I noticed that my launcher had vanished for some
> reason or other (maybe some mission had replaced it by another gun). Now
> that I know I about this cool spot I must go and re-collect all those damn
> rockets again.
>
> It's sad that only so few road vehicles make it to the pond (compared to
> helis). And from the way I understand it, the game can keep track of only
> so many vehicles at a time -- active or wrecks --, so I wonder if all
> those zombie helicopters stay there in the pond, won't they stop coming in
> sooner or later?
>
> Ohh -- so much to find out. But let's first get some more rockets.
>
> bob

My heatseekers disappear at times too. Usually I don't notice until after
I've saved.
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 9:16:49 AM

On Tue, 17 May 2005 23:01:13 -0700, "Cleve" <clevens@cox.net> wrote:

>"Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Corey Simonator wrote:
>>
>> To be honest although they're fun you shouldn't need the rocket
>> launcher this early in the game. There are missions later where it or
>> the heat seeker are needed but I can't think of a mission at the start
>> that needed one
>>

>There's "need" -- and then there's "want".
>
>In my second play-through, I've weathered the 4-star to get a heat-seeker
>from LV near the beginning of the game. (Took some trying.)
>
>It's humorous to look at my map. Everything's grayed out except parts of
>LS -- and the bee-line I made up into LV to retrieve the heat-seeker.
>
>(Can't seem to knock down the airliner that periodically flies over LS
>(especially when you've just come out of a safe-house like CJ's place).
>Don't think you can.)
>
>--cleve

I just had this conversation with someone.
Can HS-RPG down other planes, but haven't heard of the
large overhaed plane. AT-400 perhaps.
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 9:16:50 AM

"Luke §ynchronizer" <Luke @TheForce.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 17 May 2005 23:01:13 -0700, "Cleve" <clevens@cox.net> wrote:
>

>>"Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> Corey Simonator wrote:
>>>
>>> To be honest although they're fun you shouldn't need the rocket
>>> launcher this early in the game. There are missions later where it or
>>> the heat seeker are needed but I can't think of a mission at the start
>>> that needed one
>>>

>>There's "need" -- and then there's "want".
>>
>>In my second play-through, I've weathered the 4-star to get a heat-seeker
>>from LV near the beginning of the game. (Took some trying.)
>>
>>It's humorous to look at my map. Everything's grayed out except parts of
>>LS -- and the bee-line I made up into LV to retrieve the heat-seeker.
>>
>>(Can't seem to knock down the airliner that periodically flies over LS
>>(especially when you've just come out of a safe-house like CJ's place).
>>Don't think you can.)
>>
>>--cleve
>>

> I just had this conversation with someone.
> Can HS-RPG down other planes, but haven't heard of the
> large overhaed plane. AT-400 perhaps.

I know the heat-seeker can take out the random copters that patrol LS, as
well as the periodic planes that fly over (about every two minutes) when
you're out in the country. It appears to lock onto the airliner in LS (I
don't know if it's an AT-400), but it doesn't sound right when it fires, and
I've never been able to actually hit the airliner. I'm guessing you can't.
(You can target trolleys and train cars, too. You can "destroy" them
according to the targeting icon -- but they keep on going and never actually
blow up.)

The airliner is a "periodic plane", too, in LS. When you leave a Safe-House
(like CJ's home), look up in the sky and listen for it. The periodic
aircraft often spawn right when you come out of a Safe House, food place,
Ammu-Nation, etc., and then repeatedly every 2-3 minutes.

--cleve