Intel Chipset

Hello,
What are the advantages of Intel Chipset E7221 ?
Thanks.

---------------
http://www.eurobastion.net/
9 answers Last reply
More about intel chipset

    Over what else?

    Yousuf Khan

    George Macdonald wrote:
    > >over 925
    >
    > It's just a different market segment - server. For a workstation,
    > especially CAD, I'd say the i925 would be better, with separate x16
    > PCI-Express. The E7221 has a x8 PCI-Express for connection of a 3rd
    > controller chip for PCI-X/PCI. With its integrated graphics it's
    really
    > only of interest for a low-cost server. It also supports DDR memory
    so,
    > with the right mbrd, if you wanted to fill it up, you could save a
    few $$
    > with current prices.

    Actually, since it's a server motherboard, it's likely to require
    registered DDR, so you won't save any money over DDR2.

    Yousuf Khan

    YKhan wrote:
    > Over what else?
    >
    > Yousuf Khan

    over 925

    On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 22:36:56 +0100, David Nguyen <pppswing@yahoo.fr> wrote:

    >YKhan wrote:
    >> Over what else?
    >>
    >> Yousuf Khan
    >>
    >over 925

    It's just a different market segment - server. For a workstation,
    especially CAD, I'd say the i925 would be better, with separate x16
    PCI-Express. The E7221 has a x8 PCI-Express for connection of a 3rd
    controller chip for PCI-X/PCI. With its integrated graphics it's really
    only of interest for a low-cost server. It also supports DDR memory so,
    with the right mbrd, if you wanted to fill it up, you could save a few $$
    with current prices.

    Rgds, George Macdonald

    YKhan wrote:
    > Over what else?
    >
    > Yousuf Khan

    over Intel 925

    ---------------
    http://www.eurobastion.net/

    On 22 Dec 2004 15:50:12 -0800, "YKhan" <yjkhan@gmail.com> wrote:

    >George Macdonald wrote:
    >> >over 925
    >>
    >> It's just a different market segment - server. For a workstation,
    >> especially CAD, I'd say the i925 would be better, with separate x16
    >> PCI-Express. The E7221 has a x8 PCI-Express for connection of a 3rd
    >> controller chip for PCI-X/PCI. With its integrated graphics it's
    >really
    >> only of interest for a low-cost server. It also supports DDR memory
    >so,
    >> with the right mbrd, if you wanted to fill it up, you could save a
    >few $$
    >> with current prices.
    >
    >Actually, since it's a server motherboard, it's likely to require
    >registered DDR, so you won't save any money over DDR2.

    Nope - "Supports unbuffered DIMMs only". This is entry level server.:-)

    Rgds, George Macdonald

    On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 17:38:21 +0100, David Nguyen <pppswing@yahoo.fr>
    wrote:

    >Hello,
    >What are the advantages of Intel Chipset E7221 ?

    For lack of a more specific question, here's a page that provides a
    fairly general answer:

    http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/linecard/svr_wkstn.htm

    -------------
    Tony Hill

    wrote:

    >YKhan wrote:
    >> Over what else?
    >>
    >> Yousuf Khan
    >>
    >over 925

    E7221 adds:

    1. Can connect to a 64-bit PCI and/or PCI-X hub
    2. Support for DDR memory (the i925 ONLY supports DDR2)
    3. Support for ECC memory
    4. Has an integrated watchdog timer

    On the down side it lacks a PCI-Express 16x port for graphics (though
    the 64-bit PCI and PCI-X hubs connect via an PCI-Express 8x port).

    Otherwise they are very similar chipsets. The ICH components of these
    two chips is identical (both are designed for use with the ICH6R) and
    the MCH's look more than a bit similar. In fact, I wouldn't be overly
    surprised if they turned out to be identical designs just
    differentiated at testing and bin-split time rather than during
    manufacturing.

    -------------
    Tony Hill

    Tony Hill wrote:
    > On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 17:38:21 +0100, David Nguyen <pppswing@yahoo.fr>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Hello,
    >>What are the advantages of Intel Chipset E7221 ?
    >

    > For lack of a more specific question, here's a page that provides a
    > fairly general answer:
    >
    > http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/linecard/svr_wkstn.htm

    Thanks Tony, very good for a favorite link about intel chipset !

    http://www.eurobastion.net/

CPUs Hardware Chipsets Intel IBM