Need DVI Video Card?

I'm setting up a GW E-3200, 700 mhz Pentium with integrated
128mb Rage video card. I'm looking at a Samsung 17" 173P
LCD monitor with both analog and digital inputs. This computer
will be used extensively for scanning and editing slides and digital
photos. I assume I'll need a video card that supports DVI?
If so, what card would be good for this? I don't mind paying
a little more for a good video card.

Thanks!
Scott
4 answers Last reply
More about need video card

    Analog means it has a standard 15-pin VGA connector in addition to the
    DVI -- most flat panels, except for the economy models, do.

    You should need nothing to use the flat panel.

    "Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
    > I'm setting up a GW E-3200, 700 mhz Pentium with integrated
    > 128mb Rage video card. I'm looking at a Samsung 17" 173P
    > LCD monitor with both analog and digital inputs. This computer
    > will be used extensively for scanning and editing slides and digital
    > photos. I assume I'll need a video card that supports DVI?
    > If so, what card would be good for this? I don't mind paying
    > a little more for a good video card.
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Scott

    Scott,

    If the Samsung had only a DVI connector, you could also use a VGA-DVI adapter
    rather than another video card. You can connect it to your system and use it
    with the usual analog SVGA 15-pin connector, too.

    "integrated 128mb Rage"? Seems to me that 128MB integrated onto a motherboard
    would be a bit much, especially for a Pentium III era computer... Ben Myers

    On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 13:54:10 -0600, Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote:

    >I'm setting up a GW E-3200, 700 mhz Pentium with integrated
    >128mb Rage video card. I'm looking at a Samsung 17" 173P
    >LCD monitor with both analog and digital inputs. This computer
    >will be used extensively for scanning and editing slides and digital
    >photos. I assume I'll need a video card that supports DVI?
    >If so, what card would be good for this? I don't mind paying
    >a little more for a good video card.
    >
    >Thanks!
    >Scott

    Ben,

    Oops, I stand corrected. It's an integrated "Rage 128 VR".

    Would a better video card improve the flat panel's performance
    at all?

    Thanks!
    Scoots

    Ben Myers wrote:

    > Scott,
    >
    > If the Samsung had only a DVI connector, you could also use a VGA-DVI adapter
    > rather than another video card. You can connect it to your system and use it
    > with the usual analog SVGA 15-pin connector, too.
    >
    > "integrated 128mb Rage"? Seems to me that 128MB integrated onto a motherboard
    > would be a bit much, especially for a Pentium III era computer... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 13:54:10 -0600, Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote:
    >
    > >I'm setting up a GW E-3200, 700 mhz Pentium with integrated
    > >128mb Rage video card. I'm looking at a Samsung 17" 173P
    > >LCD monitor with both analog and digital inputs. This computer
    > >will be used extensively for scanning and editing slides and digital
    > >photos. I assume I'll need a video card that supports DVI?
    > >If so, what card would be good for this? I don't mind paying
    > >a little more for a good video card.
    > >
    > >Thanks!
    > >Scott

    If the computer has an AGP slot, a decent AGP card could do a lot. Otherwise,
    iIt depends on how you use the computer. If you do a lot of gaming, a PCI card
    with large memory may help quite a bit. For other uses like the web or typical
    office products, I'd have to say little or no improvement... Ben Myers

    On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 23:45:15 -0500, Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote:

    >Ben,
    >
    >Oops, I stand corrected. It's an integrated "Rage 128 VR".
    >
    >Would a better video card improve the flat panel's performance
    >at all?
    >
    >Thanks!
    >Scoots
    >
    >Ben Myers wrote:
    >
    >> Scott,
    >>
    >> If the Samsung had only a DVI connector, you could also use a VGA-DVI adapter
    >> rather than another video card. You can connect it to your system and use it
    >> with the usual analog SVGA 15-pin connector, too.
    >>
    >> "integrated 128mb Rage"? Seems to me that 128MB integrated onto a motherboard
    >> would be a bit much, especially for a Pentium III era computer... Ben Myers
    >>
    >> On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 13:54:10 -0600, Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I'm setting up a GW E-3200, 700 mhz Pentium with integrated
    >> >128mb Rage video card. I'm looking at a Samsung 17" 173P
    >> >LCD monitor with both analog and digital inputs. This computer
    >> >will be used extensively for scanning and editing slides and digital
    >> >photos. I assume I'll need a video card that supports DVI?
    >> >If so, what card would be good for this? I don't mind paying
    >> >a little more for a good video card.
    >> >
    >> >Thanks!
    >> >Scott

Gateway DVI Graphics Cards LCD Monitor Computers