Thank you all for your previous advice but I need more...

I'm persuaded to discard the idea of upgrading this computer at any
time. I'm pretty much settled on the cpu I think. I hope to
overclock it from 1.8GHz to 2.5GHz Total cost is ~$740.00 Canadian.

This is the set up I'm thinking about:

Mobo: $126.00USD newegg
EPoX "EP-9NDA3+" NVIDIA nForce3 ULTRA Chipset Motherboard For AMD
Socket 939 CPU -RETAIL
nForce3 Ultra chipset, ATX size 2.0 GTs HT FSB / DDR 400 / AGP-8X /
8ch audio/ 8 USB2.0 GbE LAN / 4 SATA-RAID / 1394
Support Socket-939 based AMD Athlon-64/ Athlon-64 FX up to 3600+ with
2.0GTs Hyper Transport
Support System Memory:
Four 184-pin DDR SDRAM DIMM sockets
Support single-sided or double-sided 2.5v DDR-333/400 DIMMs with dual
channel architecture in 128/256/512Mb technologies
Support Asynchronous clocking mode between FSB and DIMM
Support up to 4GB system memory
Expansion Slots:
Five PCI connectors compliant with PCI v2.2
One 1.5v AGP- 8X/4X connector compliant with AGP v3.0
PowerBIOS for excellent over clocking features:
Support Asynchronous FSB/DIMM timing mode and 1MHz fine tuning on AGP
clock
Support BIOS adjustable CPU clock and voltage, AGP voltage, DIMM
frequency and voltage settings.
more- http://www.epox.com.tw/eng/products_content.php?ps=322

CPU:$185.00CD
Athlon64 3000+ S939 512K Athlon64 3000+ (1.8GHz) S939 512K 800FSB HS &
FAN (hope to oc to 2.5GHz) (need to get wenchester core)
dual channel mem controller.

Video Card:$240.00CD
N368 6600GT 128M PCX eVGA 6600GT 128M DDR TV-o, DVi-i PCI-Express

Ram:$135.00USD newegg
Corsair Value Select (Dual Pack) 184 Pin 512MBx2 DDR PC-3200 - OEM

1) Since the mobo doesn't seem to have pci-e should I change the video
card and save some money instead of getting a useless feature?
Suggestions?

2) Does anything look totally out of whack? Is the video card too
much for the cpu? Am I wasting money on a component?

3) Is it worth the money to get high end ram at twice the cost? Like,
G.skill (Samsung TCCD) Dual Channel Kit 184-Pin 1GB(512MB x 2) DDR
PC-4400, Model F1-3200DSU2-1GBLE - Retail $275.00 USD.

Thanks again for your help
Eric
3 answers Last reply
More about thank previous advice more

    On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 17:17:09 GMT, Eric <1@1.com> wrote:

    >I'm persuaded to discard the idea of upgrading this computer at any
    >time. I'm pretty much settled on the cpu I think. I hope to
    >overclock it from 1.8GHz to 2.5GHz Total cost is ~$740.00 Canadian.

    Hmm.. didn't realize you were also up here in The Great White North..

    >This is the set up I'm thinking about:
    >
    >Mobo: $126.00USD newegg
    >EPoX "EP-9NDA3+" NVIDIA nForce3 ULTRA Chipset Motherboard For AMD

    That could work, though www.ncix.com currently has a very similar MSI
    K8N Neo2 on sale at $174CDN (click on the "boxing day sale" banner at
    the top of the screen, though note that it's pretty much the same as
    the "sale" they have every week :> ). Having owned both Epox and MSI
    boards in the past, my money would be on the MSI one.

    Sadly Athlon64 boards with PCI-Express slots do not seem to be
    available yet up here.

    >CPU:$185.00CD
    >Athlon64 3000+ S939 512K Athlon64 3000+ (1.8GHz) S939 512K 800FSB HS &
    >FAN (hope to oc to 2.5GHz) (need to get wenchester core)
    >dual channel mem controller.

    Not a bad choice if you're looking to save some cash. This one is
    listed on sale at NCIX for $180.

    >Video Card:$240.00CD
    >N368 6600GT 128M PCX eVGA 6600GT 128M DDR TV-o, DVi-i PCI-Express

    This card will not work in the board you have selected.

    >Ram:$135.00USD newegg
    >Corsair Value Select (Dual Pack) 184 Pin 512MBx2 DDR PC-3200 - OEM

    Should be fine.

    >1) Since the mobo doesn't seem to have pci-e should I change the video
    >card and save some money instead of getting a useless feature?
    >Suggestions?

    Replace "useless feature" with "unusable card". You've got a
    PCI-Express video card but a motherboard without a PCI-Express slot to
    stuff the thing in. This flat out will not work (what was it that
    Keith said about parts requiring a hammer to install being a bad
    thing? :> ).

    NCIX has an AGP card with the 6600GT chipset listed at $280CDN (again,
    part of their boxing week sale).

    >2) Does anything look totally out of whack? Is the video card too
    >much for the cpu? Am I wasting money on a component?

    Other than the video card not working in the motherboard, seems ok.

    >3) Is it worth the money to get high end ram at twice the cost? Like,
    >G.skill (Samsung TCCD) Dual Channel Kit 184-Pin 1GB(512MB x 2) DDR
    >PC-4400, Model F1-3200DSU2-1GBLE - Retail $275.00 USD.

    In a word: No.

    Mind you, I don't go for super overclocking, so I'm not sure what
    you're looking at will handle being overclocked or not. I haven't
    really looked into how the memory controller's clock division in
    Athlon64 chips works when overclocked. I would guess though that
    there are some options to keep the memory more or less clocked right
    even if the chip is hugely overclocked.

    FWIW I only mentioned NCIX in this post as that is where I buy pretty
    much all of my computer equipment. They seem to be a very reliable
    vendor with good selection and good prices, though you could probably
    find something cheaper if you hunt around enough.

    -------------
    Tony Hill

    On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 17:17:09 GMT, Eric <1@1.com> wrote:

    >I'm persuaded to discard the idea of upgrading this computer at any
    >time. I'm pretty much settled on the cpu I think. I hope to
    >overclock it from 1.8GHz to 2.5GHz Total cost is ~$740.00 Canadian.
    >
    >This is the set up I'm thinking about:
    >
    >Mobo: $126.00USD newegg
    >EPoX "EP-9NDA3+" NVIDIA nForce3 ULTRA Chipset Motherboard For AMD
    >Socket 939 CPU -RETAIL
    >nForce3 Ultra chipset, ATX size 2.0 GTs HT FSB / DDR 400 / AGP-8X /
    >8ch audio/ 8 USB2.0 GbE LAN / 4 SATA-RAID / 1394
    >Support Socket-939 based AMD Athlon-64/ Athlon-64 FX up to 3600+ with
    >2.0GTs Hyper Transport
    >Support System Memory:
    >Four 184-pin DDR SDRAM DIMM sockets
    >Support single-sided or double-sided 2.5v DDR-333/400 DIMMs with dual
    >channel architecture in 128/256/512Mb technologies
    >Support Asynchronous clocking mode between FSB and DIMM
    >Support up to 4GB system memory
    >Expansion Slots:
    >Five PCI connectors compliant with PCI v2.2
    >One 1.5v AGP- 8X/4X connector compliant with AGP v3.0
    >PowerBIOS for excellent over clocking features:
    >Support Asynchronous FSB/DIMM timing mode and 1MHz fine tuning on AGP
    >clock
    >Support BIOS adjustable CPU clock and voltage, AGP voltage, DIMM
    >frequency and voltage settings.
    >more- http://www.epox.com.tw/eng/products_content.php?ps=322

    No need to give details on mbrd specs here.

    >CPU:$185.00CD
    >Athlon64 3000+ S939 512K Athlon64 3000+ (1.8GHz) S939 512K 800FSB HS &
    >FAN (hope to oc to 2.5GHz) (need to get wenchester core)
    >dual channel mem controller.
    >
    >Video Card:$240.00CD
    >N368 6600GT 128M PCX eVGA 6600GT 128M DDR TV-o, DVi-i PCI-Express
    >
    >Ram:$135.00USD newegg
    >Corsair Value Select (Dual Pack) 184 Pin 512MBx2 DDR PC-3200 - OEM
    >
    >1) Since the mobo doesn't seem to have pci-e should I change the video
    >card and save some money instead of getting a useless feature?
    >Suggestions?
    >
    >2) Does anything look totally out of whack? Is the video card too
    >much for the cpu? Am I wasting money on a component?

    What's out of whack is that a PCI-Express video card will not fit in a mbrd
    with AGP 8x. You can either spend more to get the AGP 8x version of the
    video card or get a PCI-Express mbrd.. which are in the early stages of
    distribution right now... your choice.

    >3) Is it worth the money to get high end ram at twice the cost? Like,
    >G.skill (Samsung TCCD) Dual Channel Kit 184-Pin 1GB(512MB x 2) DDR
    >PC-4400, Model F1-3200DSU2-1GBLE - Retail $275.00 USD.

    Personally I wouldn't. The key to memory performance on an Athlon64 is the
    1T command timing, which you're more likely to get with 512M-bit chips...
    IOW get 512MB DIMMs with only 8 chips on one side. I got the Crucial
    PC3200 8T parts and they work fine at 3-3-3-8-1T. 2T timing loses ~1GB/s
    on bandwidth testing speed; lower latency on CAS, Trcd etc., which you get
    from the high end DIMMs has marginal gains.

    Rgds, George Macdonald

    Eric <1@1.com> wrote :

    > overclock it from 1.8GHz to 2.5GHz

    on nforce 3 ? nope you dont

    > Mobo: $126.00USD newegg
    > EPoX "EP-9NDA3+" NVIDIA nForce3

    there are nforce 4 boards available, go for them (PCIe)

    > Video Card:$240.00CD
    > N368 6600GT 128M PCX eVGA 6600GT 128M DDR TV-o, DVi-i PCI-Express

    wonder how your gonna fit that in AGP sslot :P

    > 1) Since the mobo doesn't seem to have pci-e should I change the
    > video card and save some money instead of getting a useless
    > feature? Suggestions?

    no, get a hammer and work on it ..

    > 2) Does anything look totally out of whack? Is the video card too
    > much for the cpu? Am I wasting money on a component?

    with BOX cooler you wont reach >2.2GHz

    > 3) Is it worth the money to get high end ram at twice the cost?
    > Like, G.skill (Samsung TCCD) Dual Channel Kit 184-Pin 1GB(512MB x
    > 2) DDR PC-4400, Model F1-3200DSU2-1GBLE - Retail $275.00 USD.

    lol no

    Pozdrawiam.
    --
    RusH //