Thank you all for your previous advice but I need more...

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Share
December 29, 2004 8:17:09 PM

I'm persuaded to discard the idea of upgrading this computer at any
time. I'm pretty much settled on the cpu I think. I hope to
overclock it from 1.8GHz to 2.5GHz Total cost is ~$740.00 Canadian.

This is the set up I'm thinking about:

Mobo: $126.00USD newegg
EPoX "EP-9NDA3+" NVIDIA nForce3 ULTRA Chipset Motherboard For AMD
Socket 939 CPU -RETAIL
nForce3 Ultra chipset, ATX size 2.0 GTs HT FSB / DDR 400 / AGP-8X /
8ch audio/ 8 USB2.0 GbE LAN / 4 SATA-RAID / 1394
Support Socket-939 based AMD Athlon-64/ Athlon-64 FX up to 3600+ with
2.0GTs Hyper Transport
Support System Memory:
Four 184-pin DDR SDRAM DIMM sockets
Support single-sided or double-sided 2.5v DDR-333/400 DIMMs with dual
channel architecture in 128/256/512Mb technologies
Support Asynchronous clocking mode between FSB and DIMM
Support up to 4GB system memory
Expansion Slots:
Five PCI connectors compliant with PCI v2.2
One 1.5v AGP- 8X/4X connector compliant with AGP v3.0
PowerBIOS for excellent over clocking features:
Support Asynchronous FSB/DIMM timing mode and 1MHz fine tuning on AGP
clock
Support BIOS adjustable CPU clock and voltage, AGP voltage, DIMM
frequency and voltage settings.
more- http://www.epox.com.tw/eng/products_content.php?ps=322

CPU:$185.00CD
Athlon64 3000+ S939 512K Athlon64 3000+ (1.8GHz) S939 512K 800FSB HS &
FAN (hope to oc to 2.5GHz) (need to get wenchester core)
dual channel mem controller.

Video Card:$240.00CD
N368 6600GT 128M PCX eVGA 6600GT 128M DDR TV-o, DVi-i PCI-Express

Ram:$135.00USD newegg
Corsair Value Select (Dual Pack) 184 Pin 512MBx2 DDR PC-3200 - OEM

1) Since the mobo doesn't seem to have pci-e should I change the video
card and save some money instead of getting a useless feature?
Suggestions?

2) Does anything look totally out of whack? Is the video card too
much for the cpu? Am I wasting money on a component?

3) Is it worth the money to get high end ram at twice the cost? Like,
G.skill (Samsung TCCD) Dual Channel Kit 184-Pin 1GB(512MB x 2) DDR
PC-4400, Model F1-3200DSU2-1GBLE - Retail $275.00 USD.

Thanks again for your help
Eric

More about : previous advice

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 29, 2004 10:47:30 PM

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 17:17:09 GMT, Eric <1@1.com> wrote:

>I'm persuaded to discard the idea of upgrading this computer at any
>time. I'm pretty much settled on the cpu I think. I hope to
>overclock it from 1.8GHz to 2.5GHz Total cost is ~$740.00 Canadian.

Hmm.. didn't realize you were also up here in The Great White North..

>This is the set up I'm thinking about:
>
>Mobo: $126.00USD newegg
>EPoX "EP-9NDA3+" NVIDIA nForce3 ULTRA Chipset Motherboard For AMD

That could work, though www.ncix.com currently has a very similar MSI
K8N Neo2 on sale at $174CDN (click on the "boxing day sale" banner at
the top of the screen, though note that it's pretty much the same as
the "sale" they have every week :> ). Having owned both Epox and MSI
boards in the past, my money would be on the MSI one.

Sadly Athlon64 boards with PCI-Express slots do not seem to be
available yet up here.

>CPU:$185.00CD
>Athlon64 3000+ S939 512K Athlon64 3000+ (1.8GHz) S939 512K 800FSB HS &
>FAN (hope to oc to 2.5GHz) (need to get wenchester core)
>dual channel mem controller.

Not a bad choice if you're looking to save some cash. This one is
listed on sale at NCIX for $180.

>Video Card:$240.00CD
>N368 6600GT 128M PCX eVGA 6600GT 128M DDR TV-o, DVi-i PCI-Express

This card will not work in the board you have selected.

>Ram:$135.00USD newegg
>Corsair Value Select (Dual Pack) 184 Pin 512MBx2 DDR PC-3200 - OEM

Should be fine.

>1) Since the mobo doesn't seem to have pci-e should I change the video
>card and save some money instead of getting a useless feature?
>Suggestions?

Replace "useless feature" with "unusable card". You've got a
PCI-Express video card but a motherboard without a PCI-Express slot to
stuff the thing in. This flat out will not work (what was it that
Keith said about parts requiring a hammer to install being a bad
thing? :> ).

NCIX has an AGP card with the 6600GT chipset listed at $280CDN (again,
part of their boxing week sale).

>2) Does anything look totally out of whack? Is the video card too
>much for the cpu? Am I wasting money on a component?

Other than the video card not working in the motherboard, seems ok.

>3) Is it worth the money to get high end ram at twice the cost? Like,
>G.skill (Samsung TCCD) Dual Channel Kit 184-Pin 1GB(512MB x 2) DDR
>PC-4400, Model F1-3200DSU2-1GBLE - Retail $275.00 USD.

In a word: No.

Mind you, I don't go for super overclocking, so I'm not sure what
you're looking at will handle being overclocked or not. I haven't
really looked into how the memory controller's clock division in
Athlon64 chips works when overclocked. I would guess though that
there are some options to keep the memory more or less clocked right
even if the chip is hugely overclocked.

FWIW I only mentioned NCIX in this post as that is where I buy pretty
much all of my computer equipment. They seem to be a very reliable
vendor with good selection and good prices, though you could probably
find something cheaper if you hunt around enough.

-------------
Tony Hill
a b à CPUs
December 29, 2004 11:13:18 PM

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 17:17:09 GMT, Eric <1@1.com> wrote:

>I'm persuaded to discard the idea of upgrading this computer at any
>time. I'm pretty much settled on the cpu I think. I hope to
>overclock it from 1.8GHz to 2.5GHz Total cost is ~$740.00 Canadian.
>
>This is the set up I'm thinking about:
>
>Mobo: $126.00USD newegg
>EPoX "EP-9NDA3+" NVIDIA nForce3 ULTRA Chipset Motherboard For AMD
>Socket 939 CPU -RETAIL
>nForce3 Ultra chipset, ATX size 2.0 GTs HT FSB / DDR 400 / AGP-8X /
>8ch audio/ 8 USB2.0 GbE LAN / 4 SATA-RAID / 1394
>Support Socket-939 based AMD Athlon-64/ Athlon-64 FX up to 3600+ with
>2.0GTs Hyper Transport
>Support System Memory:
>Four 184-pin DDR SDRAM DIMM sockets
>Support single-sided or double-sided 2.5v DDR-333/400 DIMMs with dual
>channel architecture in 128/256/512Mb technologies
>Support Asynchronous clocking mode between FSB and DIMM
>Support up to 4GB system memory
>Expansion Slots:
>Five PCI connectors compliant with PCI v2.2
>One 1.5v AGP- 8X/4X connector compliant with AGP v3.0
>PowerBIOS for excellent over clocking features:
>Support Asynchronous FSB/DIMM timing mode and 1MHz fine tuning on AGP
>clock
>Support BIOS adjustable CPU clock and voltage, AGP voltage, DIMM
>frequency and voltage settings.
>more- http://www.epox.com.tw/eng/products_content.php?ps=322

No need to give details on mbrd specs here.

>CPU:$185.00CD
>Athlon64 3000+ S939 512K Athlon64 3000+ (1.8GHz) S939 512K 800FSB HS &
>FAN (hope to oc to 2.5GHz) (need to get wenchester core)
>dual channel mem controller.
>
>Video Card:$240.00CD
>N368 6600GT 128M PCX eVGA 6600GT 128M DDR TV-o, DVi-i PCI-Express
>
>Ram:$135.00USD newegg
>Corsair Value Select (Dual Pack) 184 Pin 512MBx2 DDR PC-3200 - OEM
>
>1) Since the mobo doesn't seem to have pci-e should I change the video
>card and save some money instead of getting a useless feature?
>Suggestions?
>
>2) Does anything look totally out of whack? Is the video card too
>much for the cpu? Am I wasting money on a component?

What's out of whack is that a PCI-Express video card will not fit in a mbrd
with AGP 8x. You can either spend more to get the AGP 8x version of the
video card or get a PCI-Express mbrd.. which are in the early stages of
distribution right now... your choice.

>3) Is it worth the money to get high end ram at twice the cost? Like,
>G.skill (Samsung TCCD) Dual Channel Kit 184-Pin 1GB(512MB x 2) DDR
>PC-4400, Model F1-3200DSU2-1GBLE - Retail $275.00 USD.

Personally I wouldn't. The key to memory performance on an Athlon64 is the
1T command timing, which you're more likely to get with 512M-bit chips...
IOW get 512MB DIMMs with only 8 chips on one side. I got the Crucial
PC3200 8T parts and they work fine at 3-3-3-8-1T. 2T timing loses ~1GB/s
on bandwidth testing speed; lower latency on CAS, Trcd etc., which you get
from the high end DIMMs has marginal gains.

Rgds, George Macdonald

December 30, 2004 4:46:16 AM

Eric <1@1.com> wrote :

> overclock it from 1.8GHz to 2.5GHz

on nforce 3 ? nope you dont

> Mobo: $126.00USD newegg
> EPoX "EP-9NDA3+" NVIDIA nForce3

there are nforce 4 boards available, go for them (PCIe)

> Video Card:$240.00CD
> N368 6600GT 128M PCX eVGA 6600GT 128M DDR TV-o, DVi-i PCI-Express

wonder how your gonna fit that in AGP sslot :p

> 1) Since the mobo doesn't seem to have pci-e should I change the
> video card and save some money instead of getting a useless
> feature? Suggestions?

no, get a hammer and work on it ..

> 2) Does anything look totally out of whack? Is the video card too
> much for the cpu? Am I wasting money on a component?

with BOX cooler you wont reach >2.2GHz

> 3) Is it worth the money to get high end ram at twice the cost?
> Like, G.skill (Samsung TCCD) Dual Channel Kit 184-Pin 1GB(512MB x
> 2) DDR PC-4400, Model F1-3200DSU2-1GBLE - Retail $275.00 USD.

lol no

Pozdrawiam.
--
RusH //