600 YGR locking

My info:

My details.
Win XP Pro SP 1
Gateway 600 YGR 1.6 GHz Pentium IV Laptop
512 MB RAM
15.7" screen

The computer locks up absolutely. It is not a matter of a particular
app freezing. It seems to happen most when I'm doing general windows
navigation... opening apps, copying files from one folder to another.

I should have added that when it locks, there is no response from
anything, keyboard or mouse....only "solution" is to turn off the
machine.

I'm thinking keyboard or touchpad (synaptics TouchPad V5.9.)

I've reloaded windows, two, three, four times, no dice.
Run all of the scandisc,chkdisk, memory checks, etc.

Apps on my HD... nothing special. Word 2002. MS Office 2000. Adobe
Reader 5.0. Outlook Express 6; MSIE 6.0......

I have a Linksys wireless card, but the lockup happened before I got
it.

I thought it might be one memory chip, but I've tried one then the
other (what are the chances of having two bad ones?) and it locks up
the same with either or both in place.

This is probably the most basic question on this forum, but nothing
I've tried, including endless hours with Gateway tech support.... has
helped.

mouse /touchpad driver? keyboard driver? video/screen driver?

Here's the kicker. Gateway GAVE me this computer as compensation for
three years of hell with my Solo 9300 Laptop with Win 98... and the
replacement seems to be junk also.

thanks for all advice
7 answers Last reply
More about locking

    Is there any possibility that either heat or excessive wattage could be the
    problem? Are any of the vents clogged with dust and dirt, such that the
    computer does not get adequate ventilation? Try running the system with 256MB
    of memory. Could be the power is insufficient to run with 512MB. Shouldn't be
    that way, but...

    Barring those suggestions actually helping to resolve the problem, I have to
    agree "the replacement seems to be junk also." Any remaining warranty on it?

    Get an IBM ThinkPad. Excellent sturdy computers. A little pricey? Perhaps.
    Inelegant and lacking in features found in other computers? Perhaps, but only
    if one really needs the features. Robust? Yep... Ben Myers

    On 5 Aug 2004 11:57:48 -0700, pinkfloyd@iname.com (pinkfloyd) wrote:

    >My info:
    >
    >My details.
    >Win XP Pro SP 1
    >Gateway 600 YGR 1.6 GHz Pentium IV Laptop
    >512 MB RAM
    >15.7" screen
    >
    >The computer locks up absolutely. It is not a matter of a particular
    >app freezing. It seems to happen most when I'm doing general windows
    >navigation... opening apps, copying files from one folder to another.
    >
    >I should have added that when it locks, there is no response from
    >anything, keyboard or mouse....only "solution" is to turn off the
    >machine.
    >
    >I'm thinking keyboard or touchpad (synaptics TouchPad V5.9.)
    >
    >I've reloaded windows, two, three, four times, no dice.
    >Run all of the scandisc,chkdisk, memory checks, etc.
    >
    >Apps on my HD... nothing special. Word 2002. MS Office 2000. Adobe
    >Reader 5.0. Outlook Express 6; MSIE 6.0......
    >
    >I have a Linksys wireless card, but the lockup happened before I got
    >it.
    >
    >I thought it might be one memory chip, but I've tried one then the
    >other (what are the chances of having two bad ones?) and it locks up
    >the same with either or both in place.
    >
    >This is probably the most basic question on this forum, but nothing
    >I've tried, including endless hours with Gateway tech support.... has
    >helped.
    >
    >mouse /touchpad driver? keyboard driver? video/screen driver?
    >
    >Here's the kicker. Gateway GAVE me this computer as compensation for
    >three years of hell with my Solo 9300 Laptop with Win 98... and the
    >replacement seems to be junk also.
    >
    >thanks for all advice

    Is Windows updated on all critical patches, with current antivirus, firewall
    and antispyware software?
    Anything in the event logs?

    "pinkfloyd" <pinkfloyd@iname.com> wrote in message

    > My info:
    >
    > My details.
    > Win XP Pro SP 1
    > Gateway 600 YGR 1.6 GHz Pentium IV Laptop
    > 512 MB RAM
    > 15.7" screen
    >
    > The computer locks up absolutely. It is not a matter of a particular
    > app freezing. It seems to happen most when I'm doing general windows
    > navigation... opening apps, copying files from one folder to another.
    >
    > I should have added that when it locks, there is no response from
    > anything, keyboard or mouse....only "solution" is to turn off the
    > machine.
    >
    > I'm thinking keyboard or touchpad (synaptics TouchPad V5.9.)
    >
    > I've reloaded windows, two, three, four times, no dice.
    > Run all of the scandisc,chkdisk, memory checks, etc.
    >
    > Apps on my HD... nothing special. Word 2002. MS Office 2000. Adobe
    > Reader 5.0. Outlook Express 6; MSIE 6.0......
    >
    > I have a Linksys wireless card, but the lockup happened before I got
    > it.
    >
    > I thought it might be one memory chip, but I've tried one then the
    > other (what are the chances of having two bad ones?) and it locks up
    > the same with either or both in place.
    >
    > This is probably the most basic question on this forum, but nothing
    > I've tried, including endless hours with Gateway tech support.... has
    > helped.
    >
    > mouse /touchpad driver? keyboard driver? video/screen driver?
    >
    > Here's the kicker. Gateway GAVE me this computer as compensation for
    > three years of hell with my Solo 9300 Laptop with Win 98... and the
    > replacement seems to be junk also.
    >
    > thanks for all advice

    I will agree that IBM ThinkPad support is top-notch, and a level above
    Gateway, Dell, etc. - and on par with Apple.

    The newer IBMs are decent machines but little different from anything you
    get from Dell, Gateway, etc. - IBM has pretty much ceased building its own
    notebooks, and the newer ones are made by the exact same companies that make
    notebooks for everyone else.

    IBM's major contract supplier is Wistron - care to guess which company is
    one of Gateway's major suppliers?

    Wistron.

    > Get an IBM ThinkPad. Excellent sturdy computers. A little pricey?
    Perhaps.
    > Inelegant and lacking in features found in other computers? Perhaps, but
    only
    > if one really needs the features. Robust? Yep... Ben Myers

    My 600x continues to lock up as well. Pretty much has from day 1. 70%
    of the time I get a BSOD with varying messages - the one from last
    night was an error with win32k.sys. Other times everything just
    freezes and I have to hold the power switch down for 4 seconds to
    power it off.

    I originally thought it was a heat issue but I've had it lock up
    within minutes of power on.

    Yesterday I upgraded the bios but it locked up about 2 hours later.

    Here's a funny story - I was having problems upgrading the bios so I
    did the live chat tech support...kind of just to humor myself. I let
    the technician take control of my laptop. She formatted my floppy disk
    and then tried to copy all of the unzipped bios files to the floppy.
    She ran out of space. Then she zipped the entire folder up, which
    created a 4mb file and proceeded to try and copy that to my floppy
    disk. LOL Needless to say I pulled my network cable after that.

    Anyway, I completed the upgrade but it still locks ups. Very
    frustrating.

    "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message news:<jywQc.223$FV3.143@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>...
    > Is Windows updated on all critical patches, with current antivirus, firewall
    > and antispyware software?
    > Anything in the event logs?
    >

    > "pinkfloyd" <pinkfloyd@iname.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > My info:
    > >
    > > My details.
    > > Win XP Pro SP 1
    > > Gateway 600 YGR 1.6 GHz Pentium IV Laptop
    > > 512 MB RAM
    > > 15.7" screen
    > >
    > > The computer locks up absolutely. It is not a matter of a particular
    > > app freezing. It seems to happen most when I'm doing general windows
    > > navigation... opening apps, copying files from one folder to another.
    > >
    > > I should have added that when it locks, there is no response from
    > > anything, keyboard or mouse....only "solution" is to turn off the
    > > machine.
    > >
    > > I'm thinking keyboard or touchpad (synaptics TouchPad V5.9.)
    > >
    > > I've reloaded windows, two, three, four times, no dice.
    > > Run all of the scandisc,chkdisk, memory checks, etc.
    > >
    > > Apps on my HD... nothing special. Word 2002. MS Office 2000. Adobe
    > > Reader 5.0. Outlook Express 6; MSIE 6.0......
    > >
    > > I have a Linksys wireless card, but the lockup happened before I got
    > > it.
    > >
    > > I thought it might be one memory chip, but I've tried one then the
    > > other (what are the chances of having two bad ones?) and it locks up
    > > the same with either or both in place.
    > >
    > > This is probably the most basic question on this forum, but nothing
    > > I've tried, including endless hours with Gateway tech support.... has
    > > helped.
    > >
    > > mouse /touchpad driver? keyboard driver? video/screen driver?
    > >
    > > Here's the kicker. Gateway GAVE me this computer as compensation for
    > > three years of hell with my Solo 9300 Laptop with Win 98... and the
    > > replacement seems to be junk also.
    > >
    > > thanks for all advice

    If you have 400, 450, or 600 series Gateway laptop computer and are
    experiencing frequent lockups and random freezes while using your laptop
    we have some good news for you. Our technicians have isolated the problem
    and you will most likely not not have to replace your motherboard or CPU.
    We can offer you this fix for just $199 + shipping. This is best price you
    will find and is very reasonable considering you could get years out of
    your otherwise solid laptop once this annoyance is resolved.
    Contact us at <a
    href="mailto:fixmylaptop@realeffects.net">fixmylaptop@realeffects.net</a>
    with detailed symptoms your
    computer is experiencing.
    Gateway 400, hangs 450 Gateway 600, Gateway Solo 400, Gateway Solo 600,
    Gateway Notebook 450, Gateway laptop lockups, Gateway lock-ups, Gateway
    laptop freezes, Gateway freezes, stops responding, mouse freezes, mouse
    locks up. Gateway laptop won't boot Gateway notebook will not boot. will
    not install windows. Gateway laptop freezes during windows installation.
    600 Gateway Notebook 450 hangs.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    If you have 400, 450, or 600 series Gateway laptop computer and are
    experiencing frequent lockups when cooling fan goes off,
    or random freezes while using your laptop we have some good news for you.
[...]
  7. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    gatewayfixer,

    That's great news! Where do I send my money to?

    Get the fk out of here u csmfb.

    "gatewayFixer" <goran@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:<320cd1ccdbe440d8d4479ccbeef30644@localhost.talkaboutcomputing.com>...
    > If you have 400, 450, or 600 series Gateway laptop computer and are
    > experiencing frequent lockups and random freezes while using your laptop
    > we have some good news for you. Our technicians have isolated the problem
    > and you will most likely not not have to replace your motherboard or CPU.
    > We can offer you this fix for just $199 + shipping. This is best price you
    > will find and is very reasonable considering you could get years out of
    > your otherwise solid laptop once this annoyance is resolved.
    > Contact us at <a
    > href="mailto:fixmylaptop@realeffects.net">fixmylaptop@realeffects.net</a>
    > with detailed symptoms your
    > computer is experiencing.
    > Gateway 400, hangs 450 Gateway 600, Gateway Solo 400, Gateway Solo 600,
    > Gateway Notebook 450, Gateway laptop lockups, Gateway lock-ups, Gateway
    > laptop freezes, Gateway freezes, stops responding, mouse freezes, mouse
    > locks up. Gateway laptop won't boot Gateway notebook will not boot. will
    > not install windows. Gateway laptop freezes during windows installation.
    > 600 Gateway Notebook 450 hangs.

Gateway Computers Product