AMD Socket advantages

Is there an advantage of socket 939 designs over 754? Any reason to spend
more (so it seems) on the 939?

More about socket advantages

    Chip wrote:
    > Is there an advantage of socket 939 designs over 754? Any reason to spend
    > more (so it seems) on the 939?

    Dual-channel DDR.

    "Chip" <chip313@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Is there an advantage of socket 939 designs over 754?

    Yes, in some applications there is a definite advantage

    > Any reason to spend more (so it seems) on the 939?

    It depends. What do you use the computer for?

    Rob Stow wrote:

    > Chip wrote:
    > > Is there an advantage of socket 939 designs over 754? Any reason to spend
    > > more (so it seems) on the 939?
    > >

    > Dual-channel DDR.

    Which prompts the question: Why so many legs when Intel could do it with 478?

    Johannes H Andersen <johs@sizefitter.com> writes:

    > Rob Stow wrote:
    >>
    >> Chip wrote:
    >> > Is there an advantage of socket 939 designs over 754? Any reason to spend
    >> > more (so it seems) on the 939?
    >> >

    >> Dual-channel DDR.
    >
    > Which prompts the question: Why so many legs when Intel could do it with 478?

    Intel doesn't have an on-chip memory controller.

    Johannes H Andersen wrote:

    > Rob Stow wrote:
    >
    >>Chip wrote:
    >>
    >>>Is there an advantage of socket 939 designs over 754? Any reason to spend
    >>>more (so it seems) on the 939?
    >>>

    >>Dual-channel DDR.
    >

    > Which prompts the question: Why so many legs when Intel could do it with 478?

    A small part of it is because the P4 has a narrow but
    fast bus from the chipset to the CPU, then a wide but
    relatively slow bus from the chipset to the RAM.
    With the AMD64 chips the memory controller is built
    into the CPU and thus there is a wide but slow bus
    from the CPU to the RAM - without eliminating the need
    for a separate bus to the chipset.

    However, many of the additional pins seen when going from
    the 462 that the Athlon XP had to the AMD64 chips are simply
    power and ground. Same thing with the new P4's that have
    almost 300 more pins than the Socket 478 versions. Chips run
    cooler when you deliver power directly to where it is needed
    instead of transporting so much of it through the chip.

    "Oxford Systems" <oxfordsystems@earthlinkdot.net> wrote in message
    > "Chip" <chip313@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Is there an advantage of socket 939 designs over 754?
    >
    > Yes, in some applications there is a definite advantage
    >
    >> Any reason to spend more (so it seems) on the 939?
    >
    > It depends. What do you use the computer for?

    Well, as mentioned, it gives dual channel DDR. What is the actual advantage
    of this?
    I like to upgrade with the most longevity that I can manage. I primarily use
    it for web usage, photo editing, and the occasional game. The main thing is
    I don't like to upgrade and then need to change out things completely three
    months later.

    On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 08:49:50 -0800, Chip wrote:

    > "Oxford Systems" <oxfordsystems@earthlinkdot.net> wrote in message
    >> "Chip" <chip313@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Is there an advantage of socket 939 designs over 754?
    >>
    >> Yes, in some applications there is a definite advantage
    >>
    >>> Any reason to spend more (so it seems) on the 939?
    >>
    >> It depends. What do you use the computer for?
    >
    > Well, as mentioned, it gives dual channel DDR. What is the actual advantage
    > of this?

    Memory bandwidth.

    > I like to upgrade with the most longevity that I can manage. I primarily use
    > it for web usage, photo editing, and the occasional game. The main thing is
    > I don't like to upgrade and then need to change out things completely three
    > months later.

    Go with the S/939. I think you'll see S/754 go by the wayside. I may
    have gone S/939 if it were available when I upgraded (to S/940).

    --
    Keith

    On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 08:49:50 -0800, "Chip" <chip313@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >"Oxford Systems" <oxfordsystems@earthlinkdot.net> wrote in message
    >> "Chip" <chip313@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Is there an advantage of socket 939 designs over 754?
    >>
    >> Yes, in some applications there is a definite advantage
    >>
    >>> Any reason to spend more (so it seems) on the 939?
    >>
    >> It depends. What do you use the computer for?
    >
    >Well, as mentioned, it gives dual channel DDR. What is the actual advantage
    >of this?

    Without the dual DDR, AMD would be at a significant disadvantage to Intel
    on memory bandwidth. As it is you get the benefit of AMD's lower latency
    plus bandwidth which is equal to or exceeds anything from Intel.

    >I like to upgrade with the most longevity that I can manage. I primarily use
    >it for web usage, photo editing, and the occasional game. The main thing is
    >I don't like to upgrade and then need to change out things completely three
    >months later.

    I'd advise getting skt 939 plus two sticks of single sided (i.e. single
    rank) memory as the best path; Crucial parts with the 8T designation, as
    available at NewEgg,
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-541&depa=0
    have 8 chips on one side of the DDR DIMM. This will give a good path to an
    upgrade to 2GB of memory if required down the road.

    Rgds, George Macdonald

    On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 02:42:19 -0500, George Macdonald wrote:

    > On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 08:49:50 -0800, "Chip" <chip313@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >

    >>"Oxford Systems" <oxfordsystems@earthlinkdot.net> wrote in message
    >>> "Chip" <chip313@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Yes, in some applications there is a definite advantage

    >>> It depends. What do you use the computer for?
    >>
    >>Well, as mentioned, it gives dual channel DDR. What is the actual advantage
    >>of this?
    >
    > Without the dual DDR, AMD would be at a significant disadvantage to Intel
    > on memory bandwidth. As it is you get the benefit of AMD's lower latency
    > plus bandwidth which is equal to or exceeds anything from Intel.

    Also note that Intel uses dual channel memory, just chose to push those
    same pins off to the northbridge (as did the later K7s). The pins there
    aren't really any cheaper, though are necessarily slower.

    <snip - listen>

    --
    Keith

    Make sure you read the small print at newegg. I think for cpu their is
    a hidden clause of no refund after one week. They also tell you after
    you buy that they charge a 15% restocking fee on ALL (even defects) and
    their RMA is supposed to take 2-3 days upon receipt. I'm on day 25 and
    counting It seems newegg has great reviews from 7 or 8 out of 10
    transactions, but thats not really good enough for someone with their
    volume of sales. I was unfortunate enough to hit that apparent 20% that
    falls through the crack- or mile wide cavern if you actually have to
    deal with them. They sold me bad RAM! and their RMA system doesn't
    work. No answer to emails! They finally promised a full refund "Please
    allow 2-3 days for the credit to process" but a week later = NOTHING! I
    called again and they said they didn't even receive my return? And
    never would have sent a refund email if they didn't. Two separate
    customer service people agreed to reply to me and asked me to send them
    a copy, but two days later still NOTHING! How long should I wait? At
    this point I can't even get any where near even. I'm out $40 for the
    garbage ram, 5 for the original shipping, another 5 for the return
    shipping and the thrill of waiting-waiting-waiting then being called a
    liar! newegg.com keep my money, I don't want it any more. Congrats on
    pulling one over on me! Buyers should take notice of this: Newegg asks
    customers for testamonials on their website. They then restrict
    submissions to only positive testomonials as a means to put buyers at
    ease and feeling secure. This screams "Don't shop here" if a company
    asks for and then restricts input in this manner there must be a reason
    and I know what it is at newegg. Oh and don't forget the small print
    percent restocking fee on all returns.. HAA HA ha. If you order
    something and get garbage, the best you can do is risk geting another
    piece of garbage and lose the shipping cost BOTH ways over and over or
    play it safe and go for the BS 15% guaranteed loss! (thats over and
    above the shipping fee you already lost) GREAT DEAL!
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

    On 17 Jan 2005 22:44:01 -0800, bigriff@ureach.com wrote:

    >Make sure you read the small print at newegg. I think for cpu their is
    >a hidden clause of no refund after one week. They also tell you after
    >you buy that they charge a 15% restocking fee on ALL (even defects) and
    >their RMA is supposed to take 2-3 days upon receipt. I'm on day 25 and
    >counting It seems newegg has great reviews from 7 or 8 out of 10
    >transactions, but thats not really good enough for someone with their
    >volume of sales. I was unfortunate enough to hit that apparent 20% that
    >falls through the crack- or mile wide cavern if you actually have to
    >deal with them. They sold me bad RAM! and their RMA system doesn't
    >work. No answer to emails! They finally promised a full refund "Please
    >allow 2-3 days for the credit to process" but a week later = NOTHING! I
    >called again and they said they didn't even receive my return? And
    >never would have sent a refund email if they didn't. Two separate
    >customer service people agreed to reply to me and asked me to send them
    >a copy, but two days later still NOTHING! How long should I wait? At
    >this point I can't even get any where near even. I'm out $40 for the
    >garbage ram, 5 for the original shipping, another 5 for the return
    >shipping and the thrill of waiting-waiting-waiting then being called a
    >liar! newegg.com keep my money, I don't want it any more. Congrats on
    >pulling one over on me! Buyers should take notice of this: Newegg asks
    >customers for testamonials on their website. They then restrict
    >submissions to only positive testomonials as a means to put buyers at
    >ease and feeling secure. This screams "Don't shop here" if a company
    >asks for and then restricts input in this manner there must be a reason
    >and I know what it is at newegg. Oh and don't forget the small print
    >percent restocking fee on all returns.. HAA HA ha. If you order
    >something and get garbage, the best you can do is risk geting another
    >piece of garbage and lose the shipping cost BOTH ways over and over or
    >play it safe and go for the BS 15% guaranteed loss! (thats over and
    >above the shipping fee you already lost) GREAT DEAL!

    Your story sounds a bit muddled to me - not clear what you want: refund?...
    exchange?... something that works?... what? Others have reported OK
    dealings with them but there'll always be a few which fall through the
    cracks... and I'm sure they *do* have to deal with customer inflicted
    damage: "me?... overclock?... never!". Dunno when you got upset about
    this, nor what it is that's "garbage" about your RAM, but it pays to be
    ultra-courteous when seeking RMAs. Fortunately I've not had to deal with
    their returns dept. yet but I always dread having to deal with that for any
    on-line e-tailer.

    --
    Rgds, George Macdonald
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

    Right, so when you get ignored over and over, put on hold for thirty
    minutes at a pop and flat out lied to as I was with time marching on
    and on, your just gonna smile and see "golly gee". Well good for, more
    power. But I would say that is the reason dumps like this stay in
    business. IMO we should all get some back bone and stand up for our
    rights. I'm sure not gonna ki$$ a$$ for $50- Oh please , kiss
    kiss-thank you oh mighty one, yes I'm a scum customer do with me as you
    will-please don't retaliate by screwing me over.

    I'll just take the loss, spread the word and move on to a respectable
    dealer who wouldn't even consider screwing me over no matter what. I
    asked politely by e-mail and phone many times. I waited a week between
    inquiries. I said please and thank you, but enough is enough. To
    reiterate, if there isn't a line to be drawn when someone walks all
    over you then its all down hill from here.

    Did you know that a newegg RMA notice states " This RMA does not extend
    the thirty day warranty coverage. Your thirty days warranty still
    starts at the original delivery date."

    So I guess if you risk a second shipment and it arrives doa again there
    policy expects you to eat it...because the thirty days would have
    certainly expired.

    Policy like this is called "walking all over you". If anyone thinks
    that a company with such attitudes deserves their business then good
    luck to them. However with that being said, I've done my part and
    warned anyone who cared to listen. Yeah, I'm rightfully PO'ed -big
    deal.

    newegg.com is the sixth largest electronics dealer online. They are
    making huge record profits year after year and should not treat their
    customers so poorly or expect someone whom they have treated poorly to
    be happy about it- big deal.
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

    On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 06:43:22 -0500, George Macdonald wrote:

    > On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 21:30:31 -0500, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:
    >

    >>All he's shown is a rant. If I'd ranted at the ticket agents on a
    >>half-doxen business trips, I'd still likely not be home. Understand that
    >>the service people you directly deal with have your happiness in their
    >>hands. Be nice to the people with power. Once you piss 'em off you can
    >>walk.
    >
    > Hey, if you rant at the TSA gestapo you could end up in jail - at a minimum
    > a 45min full-body search.:-) To be fair many of them are reasonably polite
    > but there are a few with "attitude"... insolent and slovenly. It really
    > pisses me off to pay $$ to go through an airport and get that feeling like
    > I'm going to jail.

    Well, we're "poor" now, so I haven't traveled on business for halfa
    decade (it doesn't pay for me to do so on my "vacations"). I
    certainly don't miss it, but the rule still holds; Piss-off the person
    that can help you, and you might just as well be dead. ...or worse.

    >>> I still buy stuff from CDW, Neutron and some direct mfr, like IBM,
    >>> depending on price and availability.
    >>
    >>IBM??? ;-)
    >
    > For a while there, after IBM dumped the retail market, the only source
    > for Thinkpads was www.ibm.com. I now see them at NewEgg and CDW but I'm
    > not sure under what arrangement... if IBM doesn't "do retail". The IBM
    > site also has special deals on accessories occasionally too.

    EBay has been selling IBM stuff for years. I'm not a great fan of EBay
    and in the past month even less so.

    <snip>

    >>I think I know a little about memory, and even *I* wouldn't go anywhere
    >>for my stuff other than Crucial. I don't even go Crucial from NewEgg.
    >>Now, I did put together a system for a friend who needed to go cheap, so
    >>I went with newegg's sorta-cheapest. Crucial would have been $20 more
    >>and that would have busted the budget.
    >
    > I got my Crucial memory from NewEgg because they had the listed part I
    > mentioned earlier in this thread, with a single rank of 512Mbit chips -
    > www.crucial.com doesn't seem to specify.

    I've been able to find the specs (down to the datasheets, if needed)
    before, but dunno about your specifics. I haven't been too worried about
    this recently though. It is something to keep in mind.

    --
    Keith

CPUs Hardware Socket AMD