AMD Socket advantages

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

Is there an advantage of socket 939 designs over 754? Any reason to spend
more (so it seems) on the 939?

Chip wrote:
> Is there an advantage of socket 939 designs over 754? Any reason to spend
> more (so it seems) on the 939?

Dual-channel DDR.

"Chip" <chip313@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Is there an advantage of socket 939 designs over 754?

Yes, in some applications there is a definite advantage

> Any reason to spend more (so it seems) on the 939?

It depends. What do you use the computer for?

Rob Stow wrote:

> Chip wrote:
> > Is there an advantage of socket 939 designs over 754? Any reason to spend
> > more (so it seems) on the 939?
> >

> Dual-channel DDR.

Which prompts the question: Why so many legs when Intel could do it with 478?

Johannes H Andersen <johs@sizefitter.com> writes:

> Rob Stow wrote:
>>
>> Chip wrote:
>> > Is there an advantage of socket 939 designs over 754? Any reason to spend
>> > more (so it seems) on the 939?
>> >

>> Dual-channel DDR.
>
> Which prompts the question: Why so many legs when Intel could do it with 478?

Intel doesn't have an on-chip memory controller.

Johannes H Andersen wrote:

> Rob Stow wrote:
>
>>Chip wrote:
>>
>>>Is there an advantage of socket 939 designs over 754? Any reason to spend
>>>more (so it seems) on the 939?
>>>

>>Dual-channel DDR.
>

> Which prompts the question: Why so many legs when Intel could do it with 478?

A small part of it is because the P4 has a narrow but
fast bus from the chipset to the CPU, then a wide but
relatively slow bus from the chipset to the RAM.
With the AMD64 chips the memory controller is built
into the CPU and thus there is a wide but slow bus
from the CPU to the RAM - without eliminating the need
for a separate bus to the chipset.

However, many of the additional pins seen when going from
the 462 that the Athlon XP had to the AMD64 chips are simply
power and ground. Same thing with the new P4's that have
almost 300 more pins than the Socket 478 versions. Chips run
cooler when you deliver power directly to where it is needed
instead of transporting so much of it through the chip.

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

"Oxford Systems" <oxfordsystems@earthlinkdot.net> wrote in message
> "Chip" <chip313@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Is there an advantage of socket 939 designs over 754?
>
> Yes, in some applications there is a definite advantage
>
>> Any reason to spend more (so it seems) on the 939?
>
> It depends. What do you use the computer for?

Well, as mentioned, it gives dual channel DDR. What is the actual advantage
of this?
I like to upgrade with the most longevity that I can manage. I primarily use
it for web usage, photo editing, and the occasional game. The main thing is
I don't like to upgrade and then need to change out things completely three
months later.

keith

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 08:49:50 -0800, Chip wrote:

> "Oxford Systems" <oxfordsystems@earthlinkdot.net> wrote in message
>> "Chip" <chip313@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Is there an advantage of socket 939 designs over 754?
>>
>> Yes, in some applications there is a definite advantage
>>
>>> Any reason to spend more (so it seems) on the 939?
>>
>> It depends. What do you use the computer for?
>
> Well, as mentioned, it gives dual channel DDR. What is the actual advantage
> of this?

Memory bandwidth.

> I like to upgrade with the most longevity that I can manage. I primarily use
> it for web usage, photo editing, and the occasional game. The main thing is
> I don't like to upgrade and then need to change out things completely three
> months later.

Go with the S/939. I think you'll see S/754 go by the wayside. I may
have gone S/939 if it were available when I upgraded (to S/940).

--
Keith

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 08:49:50 -0800, "Chip" <chip313@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Oxford Systems" <oxfordsystems@earthlinkdot.net> wrote in message
>> "Chip" <chip313@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Is there an advantage of socket 939 designs over 754?
>>
>> Yes, in some applications there is a definite advantage
>>
>>> Any reason to spend more (so it seems) on the 939?
>>
>> It depends. What do you use the computer for?
>
>Well, as mentioned, it gives dual channel DDR. What is the actual advantage
>of this?

Without the dual DDR, AMD would be at a significant disadvantage to Intel
on memory bandwidth. As it is you get the benefit of AMD's lower latency
plus bandwidth which is equal to or exceeds anything from Intel.

>I like to upgrade with the most longevity that I can manage. I primarily use
>it for web usage, photo editing, and the occasional game. The main thing is
>I don't like to upgrade and then need to change out things completely three
>months later.

I'd advise getting skt 939 plus two sticks of single sided (i.e. single
rank) memory as the best path; Crucial parts with the 8T designation, as
available at NewEgg,
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-541&depa=0
have 8 chips on one side of the DDR DIMM. This will give a good path to an
upgrade to 2GB of memory if required down the road.

Rgds, George Macdonald

keith

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 02:42:19 -0500, George Macdonald wrote:

> On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 08:49:50 -0800, "Chip" <chip313@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>"Oxford Systems" <oxfordsystems@earthlinkdot.net> wrote in message
>>> "Chip" <chip313@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Yes, in some applications there is a definite advantage

>>> It depends. What do you use the computer for?
>>
>>Well, as mentioned, it gives dual channel DDR. What is the actual advantage
>>of this?
>
> Without the dual DDR, AMD would be at a significant disadvantage to Intel
> on memory bandwidth. As it is you get the benefit of AMD's lower latency
> plus bandwidth which is equal to or exceeds anything from Intel.

Also note that Intel uses dual channel memory, just chose to push those
same pins off to the northbridge (as did the later K7s). The pins there
aren't really any cheaper, though are necessarily slower.

<snip - listen>

--
Keith

Make sure you read the small print at newegg. I think for cpu their is
a hidden clause of no refund after one week. They also tell you after
you buy that they charge a 15% restocking fee on ALL (even defects) and
their RMA is supposed to take 2-3 days upon receipt. I'm on day 25 and
counting It seems newegg has great reviews from 7 or 8 out of 10
transactions, but thats not really good enough for someone with their
volume of sales. I was unfortunate enough to hit that apparent 20% that
falls through the crack- or mile wide cavern if you actually have to
deal with them. They sold me bad RAM! and their RMA system doesn't
work. No answer to emails! They finally promised a full refund "Please
allow 2-3 days for the credit to process" but a week later = NOTHING! I
called again and they said they didn't even receive my return? And
never would have sent a refund email if they didn't. Two separate
customer service people agreed to reply to me and asked me to send them
a copy, but two days later still NOTHING! How long should I wait? At
this point I can't even get any where near even. I'm out $40 for the
garbage ram, 5 for the original shipping, another 5 for the return
shipping and the thrill of waiting-waiting-waiting then being called a
liar! newegg.com keep my money, I don't want it any more. Congrats on
pulling one over on me! Buyers should take notice of this: Newegg asks
customers for testamonials on their website. They then restrict
submissions to only positive testomonials as a means to put buyers at
ease and feeling secure. This screams "Don't shop here" if a company
asks for and then restricts input in this manner there must be a reason
and I know what it is at newegg. Oh and don't forget the small print
percent restocking fee on all returns.. HAA HA ha. If you order
something and get garbage, the best you can do is risk geting another
piece of garbage and lose the shipping cost BOTH ways over and over or
play it safe and go for the BS 15% guaranteed loss! (thats over and
above the shipping fee you already lost) GREAT DEAL!

On 17 Jan 2005 22:44:01 -0800, bigriff@ureach.com wrote:

>Make sure you read the small print at newegg. I think for cpu their is
>a hidden clause of no refund after one week. They also tell you after
>you buy that they charge a 15% restocking fee on ALL (even defects) and
>their RMA is supposed to take 2-3 days upon receipt. I'm on day 25 and
>counting It seems newegg has great reviews from 7 or 8 out of 10
>transactions, but thats not really good enough for someone with their
>volume of sales. I was unfortunate enough to hit that apparent 20% that
>falls through the crack- or mile wide cavern if you actually have to
>deal with them. They sold me bad RAM! and their RMA system doesn't
>work. No answer to emails! They finally promised a full refund "Please
>allow 2-3 days for the credit to process" but a week later = NOTHING! I
>called again and they said they didn't even receive my return? And
>never would have sent a refund email if they didn't. Two separate
>customer service people agreed to reply to me and asked me to send them
>a copy, but two days later still NOTHING! How long should I wait? At
>this point I can't even get any where near even. I'm out $40 for the
>garbage ram, 5 for the original shipping, another 5 for the return
>shipping and the thrill of waiting-waiting-waiting then being called a
>liar! newegg.com keep my money, I don't want it any more. Congrats on
>pulling one over on me! Buyers should take notice of this: Newegg asks
>customers for testamonials on their website. They then restrict
>submissions to only positive testomonials as a means to put buyers at
>ease and feeling secure. This screams "Don't shop here" if a company
>asks for and then restricts input in this manner there must be a reason
>and I know what it is at newegg. Oh and don't forget the small print
>percent restocking fee on all returns.. HAA HA ha. If you order
>something and get garbage, the best you can do is risk geting another
>piece of garbage and lose the shipping cost BOTH ways over and over or
>play it safe and go for the BS 15% guaranteed loss! (thats over and
>above the shipping fee you already lost) GREAT DEAL!

Your story sounds a bit muddled to me - not clear what you want: refund?...
exchange?... something that works?... what? Others have reported OK
dealings with them but there'll always be a few which fall through the
cracks... and I'm sure they *do* have to deal with customer inflicted
damage: "me?... overclock?... never!". Dunno when you got upset about
this, nor what it is that's "garbage" about your RAM, but it pays to be
ultra-courteous when seeking RMAs. Fortunately I've not had to deal with
their returns dept. yet but I always dread having to deal with that for any
on-line e-tailer.

--
Rgds, George Macdonald

Right, so when you get ignored over and over, put on hold for thirty
minutes at a pop and flat out lied to as I was with time marching on
and on, your just gonna smile and see "golly gee". Well good for, more
power. But I would say that is the reason dumps like this stay in
business. IMO we should all get some back bone and stand up for our
rights. I'm sure not gonna ki$$ a$$ for $50- Oh please , kiss
kiss-thank you oh mighty one, yes I'm a scum customer do with me as you
will-please don't retaliate by screwing me over.

I'll just take the loss, spread the word and move on to a respectable
dealer who wouldn't even consider screwing me over no matter what. I
asked politely by e-mail and phone many times. I waited a week between
inquiries. I said please and thank you, but enough is enough. To
reiterate, if there isn't a line to be drawn when someone walks all
over you then its all down hill from here.

Did you know that a newegg RMA notice states " This RMA does not extend
the thirty day warranty coverage. Your thirty days warranty still
starts at the original delivery date."

So I guess if you risk a second shipment and it arrives doa again there
policy expects you to eat it...because the thirty days would have
certainly expired.

Policy like this is called "walking all over you". If anyone thinks
that a company with such attitudes deserves their business then good
luck to them. However with that being said, I've done my part and
warned anyone who cared to listen. Yeah, I'm rightfully PO'ed -big
deal.

newegg.com is the sixth largest electronics dealer online. They are
making huge record profits year after year and should not treat their
customers so poorly or expect someone whom they have treated poorly to
be happy about it- big deal.

keith

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 06:43:22 -0500, George Macdonald wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 21:30:31 -0500, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:
>

>>All he's shown is a rant. If I'd ranted at the ticket agents on a
>>half-doxen business trips, I'd still likely not be home. Understand that
>>the service people you directly deal with have your happiness in their
>>hands. Be nice to the people with power. Once you piss 'em off you can
>>walk.
>
> Hey, if you rant at the TSA gestapo you could end up in jail - at a minimum
> a 45min full-body search.:) To be fair many of them are reasonably polite
> but there are a few with "attitude"... insolent and slovenly. It really
> pisses me off to pay $$ to go through an airport and get that feeling like
> I'm going to jail.

Well, we're "poor" now, so I haven't traveled on business for halfa
decade (it doesn't pay for me to do so on my "vacations"). I
certainly don't miss it, but the rule still holds; Piss-off the person
that can help you, and you might just as well be dead. ...or worse.

>>> I still buy stuff from CDW, Neutron and some direct mfr, like IBM,
>>> depending on price and availability.
>>
>>IBM??? ;-)
>
> For a while there, after IBM dumped the retail market, the only source
> for Thinkpads was www.ibm.com. I now see them at NewEgg and CDW but I'm
> not sure under what arrangement... if IBM doesn't "do retail". The IBM
> site also has special deals on accessories occasionally too.

EBay has been selling IBM stuff for years. I'm not a great fan of EBay
and in the past month even less so.

<snip>

>>I think I know a little about memory, and even *I* wouldn't go anywhere
>>for my stuff other than Crucial. I don't even go Crucial from NewEgg.
>>Now, I did put together a system for a friend who needed to go cheap, so
>>I went with newegg's sorta-cheapest. Crucial would have been $20 more
>>and that would have busted the budget.
>
> I got my Crucial memory from NewEgg because they had the listed part I
> mentioned earlier in this thread, with a single rank of 512Mbit chips -
> www.crucial.com doesn't seem to specify.

I've been able to find the specs (down to the datasheets, if needed)
before, but dunno about your specifics. I haven't been too worried about
this recently though. It is something to keep in mind.

--
Keith