Microsoft officially cancels WinXP for Itanium

I guess it was long assumed anyways.

Microsoft nixes Windows XP for Itanium
http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2005/0104micronixes.html

Yousuf Khan
11 answers Last reply
More about microsoft officially cancels winxp itanium

    Yousuf Khan wrote:

    > I guess it was long assumed anyways.
    >
    > Microsoft nixes Windows XP for Itanium
    > http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2005/0104micronixes.html
    >
    > Yousuf Khan

    Merced............

    looks like "itanic" was the proper name for it afterall!! (and I think
    that label is at least 5-yrs old).

    goodbye Itanic.........only 16 yrs later. all for nothing.

    the Itanic will keep the Sparc/Alpha/Mips/etc......(and probably
    powerPC) company in the graveyard.

    yep, RISC sure did destroy tha archaic CISC didn't it?

    yep, VLIW sure did destroy that archaic RISC/CISC didn't it?

    yep. x86 is dead. (of course SSE desimated x87 too!! - yep)

    ;-).

    --
    Oh! Death to Nancy
    What is this taht I can see

    B.T.K.

    Oh, Anna Why Didn’t You Appear
    T’ was perfect plan of deviant pleasure so bold on that Spring nite
    My inner felling hot with propension of the new awakening season
    Warn, wet with inner fear and rapture, my pleasure of entanglement, like
    new vines at night
    Oh, Anna, Why Didn’t You Appear
    Drop of fear fresh Spring rain would roll down from your nakedness to
    scent to lofty fever that burns within,
    In that small world of longing, fear, rapture, and desparation, the game
    we play, fall on devil ears
    Fantasy spring forth, mounts, to storm fury, then winter clam at the end.
    Oh, Anna Why Didn’t You Appear
    Alone, now in another time span I lay with sweet enrapture garments
    across most private thought
    Bed of Spring moist grass, clean before the sun, enslaved with control,
    warm wind scenting the air, sun light sparkle tears in eyes so deep and
    clear.
    Alone again I trod in pass memory of mirrors, and ponder why for number
    eight was not.
    Oh, Anna Why Didn’t You Appear

    B.T.K.

    On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 04:36:57 +0000, gaffo wrote:

    > yep, RISC sure did destroy tha archaic CISC didn't it?

    It did. ...ever look inside a modern "CISC" processor? ;-)

    --
    Keith

    On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 21:39:07 -0500, Yousuf Khan <bbbl67@ezrs.com>
    wrote:

    >I guess it was long assumed anyways.
    >
    >Microsoft nixes Windows XP for Itanium
    >http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2005/0104micronixes.html

    Hmm.. Anyone know if MS is canceling ALL Windows for Itanium, or just
    the more desktop/workstation oriented Windows XP version? In other
    words, are they going to continue supporting Windows Server 2003 (and
    it's follow-ups) for Itanium?

    -------------
    Tony Hill

    This is just an announcement about cancelling the workstation oriented
    Windows XP for Itanium, not the server-oriented Windows 2003. However,
    now is the appropriate time to put Windows 2003 for Itanium on the
    deathwatch.

    Yousuf Khan

    On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 05:10:59 -0500, Tony Hill wrote:

    > On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 21:39:07 -0500, Yousuf Khan <bbbl67@ezrs.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I guess it was long assumed anyways.
    >>
    >>Microsoft nixes Windows XP for Itanium
    >>http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2005/0104micronixes.html
    >>

    > Hmm.. Anyone know if MS is canceling ALL Windows for Itanium, or just
    > the more desktop/workstation oriented Windows XP version? In other
    > words, are they going to continue supporting Windows Server 2003 (and
    > it's follow-ups) for Itanium?

    Really, is there a difference? If Itanic is meant for servers (which it
    wasn't), is WinBlows a reasonable platfor for that space? The people who
    will put up with the shortcommings of Win, are the same ones who put up
    with the shortcommings of x86.

    The way I see it is Itanic struck the iceberg months ago. ...and perhaps
    we're just starting to hear about the victims. It's not like this wasn't
    predicted in this group *years* ago. :-)

    Let's see:

    Intel 0 - .chips 3?
    ;-)

    --
    Keith

    keith wrote:
    > On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 05:10:59 -0500, Tony Hill wrote:
    >

    >>On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 21:39:07 -0500, Yousuf Khan <bbbl67@ezrs.com>
    >>wrote:
    >>

    >>>I guess it was long assumed anyways.
    >>>
    >>>Microsoft nixes Windows XP for Itanium
    >>>http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2005/0104micronixes.html
    >>>

    >>Hmm.. Anyone know if MS is canceling ALL Windows for Itanium, or just
    >>the more desktop/workstation oriented Windows XP version? In other
    >>words, are they going to continue supporting Windows Server 2003 (and
    >>it's follow-ups) for Itanium?

    MS has contractual obligations to support those who have already
    purchased W2K3 server for their Itanics. XP-64 for Itanic never
    made it out of beta, so of course no copies were sold and no
    support need ever be supplied.

    > Really, is there a difference? If Itanic is meant for servers (which it
    > wasn't),

    Itanic *was* originally intended for workstations and mid to
    high-end servers. Even if you don't remember that, just consider
    the $20 Billion revenue Intel expected to reach by 2003. That
    would have required on the order of 10 million chips and there is
    no other market that big. Excepting the PC market, of course.

    >is WinBlows a reasonable platfor for that space? The people who
    > will put up with the shortcommings of Win, are the same ones who put up
    > with the shortcommings of x86.

    > The way I see it is Itanic struck the iceberg months ago. ...and perhaps

    /s/months/years/ ????

    > we're just starting to hear about the victims. It's not like this wasn't
    > predicted in this group *years* ago. :-)
    >
    > Let's see:
    >
    > Intel 0 - .chips 3?
    > ;-)

    In article <ldSEd.51623$8l.38746@pd7tw1no>, rob.stow.nospam@shaw.ca
    says...
    > keith wrote:

    > >> Really, is there a difference? If Itanic is meant for servers
    > >> (which it wasn't),

    > Itanic *was* originally intended for workstations and mid to
    > high-end servers. Even if you don't remember that, just consider
    > the $20 Billion revenue Intel expected to reach by 2003. That
    > would have required on the order of 10 million chips and there is
    > no other market that big. Excepting the PC market, of course.

    I should have said "meant _only_ for servers". I know people are going
    to come unglued, but it *was* also intended to displace x86 on the
    desktop, right about now.

    > >is WinBlows a reasonable platfor for that space? The people who
    > > will put up with the shortcommings of Win, are the same ones who put up
    > > with the shortcommings of x86.
    >

    > > The way I see it is Itanic struck the iceberg months ago. ...and perhaps
    >
    > /s/months/years/ ????

    Perhaps the iceberg was sighted years ago, but the helm froze? ;-)

    --
    Keith

    On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 11:06:31 -0500, Keith R. Williams <krw@att.bizzzz>
    wrote:

    >In article <ldSEd.51623$8l.38746@pd7tw1no>, rob.stow.nospam@shaw.ca
    >says...

    >> Itanic *was* originally intended for workstations and mid to
    >> high-end servers. Even if you don't remember that, just consider
    >> the $20 Billion revenue Intel expected to reach by 2003. That
    >> would have required on the order of 10 million chips and there is
    >> no other market that big. Excepting the PC market, of course.
    >
    >I should have said "meant _only_ for servers". I know people are going
    >to come unglued, but it *was* also intended to displace x86 on the
    >desktop, right about now.

    Nope, I'm still "glued".;-) I still distinctly recall the graphic which
    showed the x86 relegated to STBs by 2005/6. Even accounting for any
    slippage due to the Merced flop, it should have been well established in
    the upper desktop space by now.

    --
    Rgds, George Macdonald

    On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 06:12:45 -0500, George Macdonald wrote:

    > On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 11:06:31 -0500, Keith R. Williams <krw@att.bizzzz>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>In article <ldSEd.51623$8l.38746@pd7tw1no>, rob.stow.nospam@shaw.ca
    >>says...

    >>> Itanic *was* originally intended for workstations and mid to
    >>> high-end servers. Even if you don't remember that, just consider
    >>> the $20 Billion revenue Intel expected to reach by 2003. That
    >>> would have required on the order of 10 million chips and there is
    >>> no other market that big. Excepting the PC market, of course.
    >>
    >>I should have said "meant _only_ for servers". I know people are going
    >>to come unglued, but it *was* also intended to displace x86 on the
    >>desktop, right about now.
    >
    > Nope, I'm still "glued".;-) I still distinctly recall the graphic which
    > showed the x86 relegated to STBs by 2005/6. Even accounting for any
    > slippage due to the Merced flop, it should have been well established in
    > the upper desktop space by now.

    Is it any wonder than M$ is bailing? I *knew* that M$ burried Itanic when
    they came out behind AMD64, and told Intel to go scratch if they thought
    M$ was going to do another x86-64 architecture.

    --
    Keith

    On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 21:26:59 -0500, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:

    >On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 06:12:45 -0500, George Macdonald wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 11:06:31 -0500, Keith R. Williams <krw@att.bizzzz>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>In article <ldSEd.51623$8l.38746@pd7tw1no>, rob.stow.nospam@shaw.ca
    >>>says...

    >>>I should have said "meant _only_ for servers". I know people are going
    >>>to come unglued, but it *was* also intended to displace x86 on the
    >>>desktop, right about now.
    >>
    >> Nope, I'm still "glued".;-) I still distinctly recall the graphic which
    >> showed the x86 relegated to STBs by 2005/6. Even accounting for any
    >> slippage due to the Merced flop, it should have been well established in
    >> the upper desktop space by now.
    >
    >Is it any wonder than M$ is bailing? I *knew* that M$ burried Itanic when
    >they came out behind AMD64, and told Intel to go scratch if they thought
    >M$ was going to do another x86-64 architecture.

    Well in the ref'd article they (M$) still appeared to be mumbling something
    about IA64 for high end servers... and in that space, they don't have
    anything else do they?

    --
    Rgds, George Macdonald
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

    On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 08:58:31 -0500, George Macdonald wrote:

    > On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 21:26:59 -0500, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 06:12:45 -0500, George Macdonald wrote:

    >>> Nope, I'm still "glued".;-) I still distinctly recall the graphic which
    >>> showed the x86 relegated to STBs by 2005/6. Even accounting for any
    >>> slippage due to the Merced flop, it should have been well established in
    >>> the upper desktop space by now.
    >>
    >>Is it any wonder than M$ is bailing? I *knew* that M$ burried Itanic when
    >>they came out behind AMD64, and told Intel to go scratch if they thought
    >>M$ was going to do another x86-64 architecture.
    >
    > Well in the ref'd article they (M$) still appeared to be mumbling something
    > about IA64 for high end servers... and in that space, they don't have
    > anything else do they?

    More like they're contractually obligated to make noise about IA64. You
    really don't think they're serious abou tthis market, do you. Remember,
    Unix/Linix is firmly entrenched there.

    --
    Keith

    --