Bluetooth headset worth the hassle?

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
July 17, 2005 7:33:33 PM

Not trying to ber funny here, but is a bluetooth headset while driving a car
worth the hassle? I mean, you then have to charge the headset, so there is
another cord you have to plug in and make sure its charged.

Is having a wired headset so much of a pain when driving?
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 9:56:22 PM

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 15:33:33 -0400, "lp" <lp@nopenothere.net> graced
this newsgroup with:

>Not trying to ber funny here, but is a bluetooth headset while driving a car
>worth the hassle? I mean, you then have to charge the headset, so there is
>another cord you have to plug in and make sure its charged.

yes

>Is having a wired headset so much of a pain when driving?

yes

Any more questions?
July 17, 2005 10:17:51 PM

lp wrote:
> Not trying to ber funny here, but is a bluetooth headset while driving a car
> worth the hassle? I mean, you then have to charge the headset, so there is
> another cord you have to plug in and make sure its charged.
>
> Is having a wired headset so much of a pain when driving?

Not for me.
Related resources
July 17, 2005 11:30:56 PM

A WIRED headset is less of a pain - no worrying about recharging it. Just
plug it in and go.
And, you can get a decent WIRED headset for 10 bucks, a WIRELESS one, almost
8 times that

"HarleyVa@nospam.com" <nospam@die.die.die> wrote in message
news:p ukld1h4aoqfg9hpon6499cpjjr9djkdmf@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 15:33:33 -0400, "lp" <lp@nopenothere.net> graced
> this newsgroup with:
>
>>Not trying to ber funny here, but is a bluetooth headset while driving a
>>car
>>worth the hassle? I mean, you then have to charge the headset, so there
>>is
>>another cord you have to plug in and make sure its charged.
>
> yes
>

>>Is having a wired headset so much of a pain when driving?
>
> yes
>

> Any more questions?

Anonymous
July 18, 2005 12:55:50 AM

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 19:30:56 -0400, "BB"
<BobBol@nonevertreplyhere.net> graced this newsgroup with:

>A WIRED headset is less of a pain - no worrying about recharging it. Just
>plug it in and go.
>And, you can get a decent WIRED headset for 10 bucks, a WIRELESS one, almost
>8 times that

I've yanked my wired headset out of my ear more than once by mistake.

As for 8 times..nah. I got (a new) one for forty bucks off of ebay.

As for recharging. It recharges in less than an hour (I just plug it
in before I go to bed...big deal) and it'll easilly run for 12-14
hours between charges. When I'm not using it, it's small enough to
just drop in my pocket.

Additionally, it has a 30ft range if I don't want to have the phone
clipped to my belt.

IMHO, *WIRED* headsets are much more of a hassle than Bluetooth.
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 2:59:32 PM

"lp" <lp@nopenothere.net> wrote in message
news:D oyCe.145793$mx5.33510@fe08.lga...
> Not trying to ber funny here, but is a bluetooth headset while driving a
car
> worth the hassle? I mean, you then have to charge the headset, so there
is
> another cord you have to plug in and make sure its charged.
>
> Is having a wired headset so much of a pain when driving?

I thinks so. I've just gotten my first Bluetooth phone, and E815, and like
not having the cord for the headset to deal with. Of course, the E815 also
has a very, very good speaker phone which, along with voice recognition for
dialing, is very handy for quick calls in the car. Overall, though, I far
prefer the Bluetooth headset to a wired one -- it's a completely different
"feel," not being tethered to the phone.

One note, though: having Bluetooth takes its toll on battery life. My E815
with Bluetooth turned off will go 3-4 days without a charge. Leaving
Bluetooth on cuts that in half, to 1-2 days. Its not too much of a factor
for me, because I plug my phone in to its charger each day when I get to my
office.

July 19, 2005 4:08:40 PM

On 7/17/05 3:33 PM, in article doyCe.145793$mx5.33510@fe08.lga, "lp"
<lp@nopenothere.net> wrote:

> Not trying to ber funny here, but is a bluetooth headset while driving a car
> worth the hassle?

Prior to getting my latest car which has bluetooth built in, I always had
the OEM car kits installed so I can't comment on this one per se. That said,
once you have had BT, its hard to imagine not. Breeze through an airport or
train station without yanking a wired headset out of your ear and you will
really appreciate it. Also from what I have seen, BT headsets have more
functionality (i.e. You don't have to open the flip to answer a call) than a
wired headset.

>I mean, you then have to charge the headset, so there is
> another cord you have to plug in and make sure its charged.

I have the Motorola V710 (so-so phone) and bought a "Y" charger adapter. In
other words the power from the charger goes into the Y and then there are
two connectors; one for the phone, one for the headset so everything charges
at the same time. Cost me $6.00.

> Is having a wired headset so much of a pain when driving?

As I said, I always used installed car kits so I am not the best one to
answer this, but, when I drover rental cars or other vehicles, I always
hated a wired anything.

There is no right or wrong answer for all of this. It all depends on what
works best for you.

Anonymous
July 20, 2005 8:26:24 AM

It is personal choice: if you are frustrated with being tired of the
physical wire connection, the bluetooth is your solution. However, for my
customers with bluetooth phones, and those that want to use it effectively
in a car, we suggest the Plantronics hard-wired MX153 :-) In the end, try
it, and if you don't like it, return it in the 14 day guarantee period. Do
this once/twice and you are being an educated customer. dr.
--
dr.news Better Price? (not better than you deserve, just more than you are
used to)

"HarleyVa@nospam.com" <nospam@die.die.die> wrote in message
news:p ukld1h4aoqfg9hpon6499cpjjr9djkdmf@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 15:33:33 -0400, "lp" <lp@nopenothere.net> graced
> this newsgroup with:
>
>>Not trying to ber funny here, but is a bluetooth headset while driving a
>>car
>>worth the hassle? I mean, you then have to charge the headset, so there
>>is
>>another cord you have to plug in and make sure its charged.
>
> yes
>

>>Is having a wired headset so much of a pain when driving?
>
> yes
>

> Any more questions?

Anonymous
July 20, 2005 12:42:54 PM

What hassle? The BT headset ALLEVIATES a ton of hassle for me. I drive
a semi, and I don't have to worry about getting the wire tangled up in
the steering wheel anymore. So no running over some innocent little
blue-haired old lady trying to cross the street. No having to open the
phone to answer a call, just push the button on the side of my head.
No having to look up a number or push buttons to make a call, just
speak the name of anyone in my phonebook, or sound out the digits. So
no running over somebody's VW because I was distracted trying to deal
with one of these things.
The charge time for the headset is minimal, and it lasts for DAYS.
Even if you're not squiring 40 tons of rig around like I am, it'll
make you a better, safer, more attentive driver if you must use a
phone while driving. Get one today.

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 15:33:33 -0400, "lp" <lp@nopenothere.net> wrote:

>Not trying to ber funny here, but is a bluetooth headset while driving a car
>worth the hassle? I mean, you then have to charge the headset, so there is
>another cord you have to plug in and make sure its charged.
>
>Is having a wired headset so much of a pain when driving?

Anonymous
July 21, 2005 8:45:40 AM

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 15:33:33 -0400, "lp" <lp@nopenothere.net> chose to add
this to the great equation of life, the universe, and everything:

>Not trying to ber funny here, but is a bluetooth headset while driving a car
>worth the hassle? I mean, you then have to charge the headset, so there is
>another cord you have to plug in and make sure its charged.
>
>Is having a wired headset so much of a pain when driving?

I have never had bluetooth, but I am starting to get really tired of my
wire and usually only bother with it when I drive into Chicago (the city
just enacted a law making it illegal to hand-hold a phone while driving
except to call 911; fine is $50, rising to $200 if you have an accident
while holding a phone) or go on a long trip.

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"I was very hungry at a young age. Starving. Out of my mind. Wanted to do
everyhing I'd ever seen in the movies and more... I'd just think, 'What a
waste of time, not being a slut!'" - Kim Basinger
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 11:13:50 AM

Worth it!

Go to Walmart and the the $48 Bluetooth headset if that recharging
thing has you bothered. An AAA battery is supposed to last 16 hours of
talk time and 160 hours of idle time. How hard is it to have a package
of AAA's in the door pocket?

I got it not realizing that it wasn't a rechargable one, hubby opted
for it over having to remember to recharge.

lp Wrote:
> Not trying to ber funny here, but is a bluetooth headset while driving a
> car
> worth the hassle? I mean, you then have to charge the headset, so
> there is
> another cord you have to plug in and make sure its charged.
>
> Is having a wired headset so much of a pain when driving?

--
jeaniesing
July 25, 2005 4:15:30 PM

lp wrote:
> Not trying to ber funny here, but is a bluetooth headset while driving a car
> worth the hassle? I mean, you then have to charge the headset, so there is
> another cord you have to plug in and make sure its charged.

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes!
Having a BT headset is WONDERFUL.

> Is having a wired headset so much of a pain when driving?

I've found it to be a big nuisance, just barely better than having to
hold the handset to my ear; and that with a well-liked Plantronics
headset. It's not so much in the way while driving, but setting it up
and taking it down are a pain, and storing it where no one will sit on
it or smash it with a foot is hard.

August 18, 2005 9:55:37 PM

I'd not want to go back to a wired headset!

lp wrote:
> Not trying to ber funny here, but is a bluetooth headset while driving a car
> worth the hassle? I mean, you then have to charge the headset, so there is
> another cord you have to plug in and make sure its charged.
>
> Is having a wired headset so much of a pain when driving?

Anonymous
August 18, 2005 9:55:38 PM

Amen! Fully agree - Bluetooth and wireless is great and works well.....!

PC

On 8/18/05 2:55 PM, in article kuWdncsTBrxFnpjeRVn-iQ@adelphia.com,
"Quilpole" wrote:

> I'd not want to go back to a wired headset!
>
> lp wrote:
>> Not trying to ber funny here, but is a bluetooth headset while driving a car
>> worth the hassle? I mean, you then have to charge the headset, so there is
>> another cord you have to plug in and make sure its charged.
>>
>> Is having a wired headset so much of a pain when driving?

Anonymous
August 19, 2005 4:07:25 AM

Thanks for shouting :-)

!