Silicon Investor had an article up about a new chip that AMD is
supposed to introduce next week for mobile PC's, called the Turion.
However the original article seems to have disappeared; could've been
an article that went up ahead of time. I guess the idea is to compete
against Centrino.

http://www.siliconinvestor.com/readmsg.aspx?msgid=20922736
Yousuf Khan

> YKhan <yjkhan@gmail.com> wrote:

> Silicon Investor had an article up about a new chip that AMD is
> supposed to introduce next week for mobile PC's, called the Turion.

Looks like eWeek had it up briefly as well. From GoogleNews:

Chip Advances Give Notebooks a Power Surge
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1748767,00.asp>
eWeek, NY - 5 hours ago - excerpt says:
.... For its part, AMD this week will announce Turion 64,
the newest product family featuring the AMD 64 technology,
which enables users to run both 32- and 64-bit ...

Not there now, nor known to the eWeek search engine.
Let's ask Steve Jobs. He probably knows :)

On 7 Jan 2005 15:45:34 -0800, "YKhan" <yjkhan@gmail.com> wrote:

>Looks like yet another brilliant name from AMD's marketing department.
>Wonder if they'll ever come up with a name that doesn't make you want
>to go, "huh?" :)
>
>http://www.internetnews.com/ent-news/article.php/3456411
>
> Yousuf Khan

I don't think that's possible. I mean no matter what name they give
it, it's going to sound weird to somebody. Think how we'd react if
they named the next chip "Fred" or "Barney" or "Wilma" (wait, intel
already did that...)

MCheu

keith

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 20:05:21 -0500, MCheu wrote:

> On 7 Jan 2005 15:45:34 -0800, "YKhan" <yjkhan@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Looks like yet another brilliant name from AMD's marketing department.
>>Wonder if they'll ever come up with a name that doesn't make you want
>>to go, "huh?" :)
>>
>>http://www.internetnews.com/ent-news/article.php/3456411
>>
>> Yousuf Khan
>
> I don't think that's possible.

Sure, but the techies will certainly recognize Allan Turing. OTOH, I
certainly hope it's not a 1b version of the Opteron. ;-)

> I mean no matter what name they give
> it, it's going to sound weird to somebody. Think how we'd react if
> they named the next chip "Fred" or "Barney" or "Wilma" (wait, intel
> already did that...)

TMTA used those names too.

--
Keith

Ed

On 7 Jan 2005 15:45:34 -0800, "YKhan" <yjkhan@gmail.com> wrote:

>Looks like yet another brilliant name from AMD's marketing department.
>Wonder if they'll ever come up with a name that doesn't make you want
>to go, "huh?" :)
>
>http://www.internetnews.com/ent-news/article.php/3456411
>
> Yousuf Khan

Pentium, Celeron, Centrino, are no better.

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 20:28:19 -0500, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:

>On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 20:05:21 -0500, MCheu wrote:
>
>> I mean no matter what name they give
>> it, it's going to sound weird to somebody. Think how we'd react if
>> they named the next chip "Fred" or "Barney" or "Wilma" (wait, intel
>> already did that...)
>
>TMTA used those names too.

Texas Music Teacher's Association?

MCheu

MCheu <mpcheu@yahoo.com> writes:

> On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 20:28:19 -0500, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 20:05:21 -0500, MCheu wrote:
>>
>>> I mean no matter what name they give
>>> it, it's going to sound weird to somebody. Think how we'd react if
>>> they named the next chip "Fred" or "Barney" or "Wilma" (wait, intel
>>> already did that...)
>>
>>TMTA used those names too.
>
> Texas Music Teacher's Association?

Transmeta. They are listed on NASDAQ under the symbol TMTA.

Kai

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 08:44:26 -0600, Ed wrote:

> On 7 Jan 2005 15:45:34 -0800, "YKhan" <yjkhan@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Looks like yet another brilliant name from AMD's marketing department.
>>Wonder if they'll ever come up with a name that doesn't make you want to
>>go, "huh?" :)
>>
>>http://www.internetnews.com/ent-news/article.php/3456411
>>
>> Yousuf Khan
>
> Pentium, Celeron, Centrino, are no better.

Centrino --> Centurion --> Turion ??

rush

Murray Symon <murraydotsymon@watchdog.enzed.nett> wrote :

> On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 08:44:26 -0600, Ed wrote:
>
>> On 7 Jan 2005 15:45:34 -0800, "YKhan" <yjkhan@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Looks like yet another brilliant name from AMD's marketing
>>>department. Wonder if they'll ever come up with a name that
>>>doesn't make you want to go, "huh?" :)
>>>
>>>http://www.internetnews.com/ent-news/article.php/3456411
>>>
>>> Yousuf Khan
>>
>> Pentium, Celeron, Centrino, are no better.
>
> Centrino --> Centurion --> Turion ??

Turion --> Turon --> Duron ???

Pozdrawiam.
--