'Chinks' Call Offends Agent

I got this one from a anonymous source. I do not endorse the use of
the phrase "chinks" but maybe the Agent overreacted. Nonetheless here
it is....

calcerise@hotmail.com (Cal Cerise) wrote in message news:<a08e01d0.0408061415.78be80c8@posting.google.com>...
> I got this one from a anonymous source. I do not endorse the use of
> the phrase "chinks" but maybe the Agent overreacted. Nonetheless here
> it is....

I don't see anything here....

"Sam Byrams" <samdotbyrams@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> calcerise@hotmail.com (Cal Cerise) wrote in message
> > I got this one from a anonymous source. I do not endorse the use of
> > the phrase "chinks" but maybe the Agent overreacted. Nonetheless here
> > it is....
>
> I don't see anything here....

Ditto

Louie
Gainesville, FL, USA

---

16:30 New party ('scotty collins') has joined the session
16:30 You have been placed in queue. An advisor will join soon to
assist you. When you choose to finish your chat, please use the EXIT
CHAT button on your right.
16:30 New party ('Han') has joined the session
16:30 Han> Hi Scotty.
16:30 Han> Welcome to Gateway.com! Home of America's best selling
plasma TV and hot new line of digital cameras! My name is Han, and
I'll be your sales advisor.
16:30 Han> How is Illinois today?
16:30 scotty collins> hello.
16:30 scotty collins> land of lincoln
16:31 scotty collins> personally i think jeff davis was a better
leader
16:31 Han> :)
16:31 Han> How can I help you today?
16:32 scotty collins> the winners write the history books
16:32 scotty collins> I write tech pubs
16:32 scotty collins> we need more processing power
16:32 scotty collins> we are currently running pentium 4s
16:32 scotty collins> one has win 2K
16:33 scotty collins> the rest are all unix
16:33 Han> Okay. I see that your email address ends with .gov Is the
computer for the Government or is this for your home?
16:33 scotty collins> need more cpu power
16:33 scotty collins> i am an indep contractor
16:33 scotty collins> i will write a personal check if thats ok
16:33 scotty collins> or can do a bank wire or whatever
16:34 Han> That's fine. I can get a quote worked up for you. Will the
computer be in an office?
16:34 scotty collins> well, it could go in any number of places
16:35 Han> So you are looking for a laptop?
16:35 scotty collins> we will ebay the oldest one we have when it
comes in
16:35 scotty collins> no, i mean it will go on my desk somewhere or in
the closet
16:36 Han> You are losing me Scott. For the new computer, are you
looking for a desktop or laptop?
16:36 scotty collins> a 'desktop'
16:36 scotty collins> I just bought a new laptop
16:37 Han> Thank you. Is this desktop computer for home, work, or
school?
16:37 scotty collins> work
16:37 Han> Thanks. Will this be on a physical network of 5 or more
computers?
16:37 scotty collins> maybe
16:37 Han> You are not sure?
16:38 scotty collins> maybe 3,4,5,7....I dunno
16:38 scotty collins> it varies
16:38 scotty collins> there's this new invention, it's called a hub
16:38 Han> That means I'll need to make sure you get an operating
system that can be on a network. Okay.
16:38 scotty collins> you can plug in less or more
16:38 scotty collins> no
16:38 scotty collins> you dont
16:39 scotty collins> you don't sell operating systems anyway
16:39 Han> If there is a physical network you do. Even with a hub or
switch.
16:39 Han> Can I give you a call?
16:39 scotty collins> no
16:40 Han> <<snip>> (posts back client's #)
16:40 scotty collins> i'm clinically deaf
16:40 scotty collins> Meniere's
16:40 scotty collins> I had the operation, same as Al Shepherd
16:40 scotty collins> same surgeon
16:41 scotty collins> unfortunately, it didn't work out
16:41 scotty collins> I couldn't walk for a year
16:42 scotty collins> I was a pilot, comm, inst, multi
16:42 scotty collins> 21 years old with a Master's in EE
16:42 scotty collins> i was picked for USAF UPT
16:42 scotty collins> then the imbalance hit
16:43 scotty collins> but enough about me
16:43 scotty collins> can i buy a computer here??
16:46 Han> Do you already have a system picked out?
16:46 scotty collins> well that's what i wanted to ask
16:47 Han> ?
16:47 scotty collins> I am looking at the 710
16:47 scotty collins> $50 for a floppy??
16:48 Han> Yes, for the external.
16:48 scotty collins> external?
16:48 Han> Yes. That means it would sit outside the computer case.
16:48 scotty collins> this is a tower right?
16:49 scotty collins> why external?
16:49 Han> The 710 does use a tower case, yes.
16:49 scotty collins> so why not internal?
16:50 Han> External is easier for you to connect than an internal. I
do sell an internal for $29.99 (no shipping/handling, plus IL taxes).
16:50 Han> The internal would need to be installed yourself. We don't
offer the option to have it built in at the time of purchase.
16:51 scotty collins> it's no big deal, but i thought i was buying a
complete computer
16:51 Han> We don't offer a floppy standard on any of our systems
since CDs are taking their place.
16:51 scotty collins> see, the thing is i would build my own but being
deaf it's too hard for me to deal with the chinks on maxwell street
16:51 scotty collins> my daughter has to go with
16:52 Han> Pardon?
16:52 scotty collins> oh, sorry, the fine Korean gentlemen
16:52 scotty collins> they are nice people
16:52 scotty collins> but their english is limited
16:52 scotty collins> and I have almost no hearing
16:53 Han> Looks like you have pretty good idea what you want. I'll
leave you to our site if you would like to order a system. Enjoy your
evening.
16:53 Party ('Han') has left the session
16:53 Attention! Agent left this chat room. It will be closed soon.

Cal Cerise <calcerise@hotmail.com> wrote:

snipped

: 16:51 scotty collins> see, the thing is i would build my own but being
: deaf it's too hard for me to deal with the chinks on maxwell street
: 16:51 scotty collins> my daughter has to go with
: 16:52 Han> Pardon?
: 16:52 scotty collins> oh, sorry, the fine Korean gentlemen
: 16:52 scotty collins> they are nice people
: 16:52 scotty collins> but their english is limited

snipped

Actually I don't understand the purpose of your post, except maybe to
troll. This does bring up something interesting for me, since I'm chinese
and have some korean friends. I guess in your post of the above dialog,
scotty is using chinks to imply koreans. To me, chinks applies to
chinese.

I had a conversation some years ago with my korean friends about ethnic slurs
and they would always laugh about being called chinks since it didn't apply
to them. Also during that conversation I came to realize there wasn't really
an ethnic slur that only applied to koreans.

TRENDING THREADS