Intel bitchslaps AMD

Well, apparently Intel had a very good quarter, and it hurt AMD. Mostly
in the realm of flash memory not processors where the hurting happened,
but it does reflect on the whole company. Apparently Intel took back
significant marketshare in the flashram realm; and flash is more
important to AMD than it is to Intel.

Intel tiger uses price cutting to spoil AMD strategy
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=20674

Yousuf Khan

Ed

On 12 Jan 2005 13:19:48 -0800, "YKhan" <yjkhan@gmail.com> wrote:

>Well, apparently Intel had a very good quarter, and it hurt AMD. Mostly
>in the realm of flash memory not processors where the hurting happened,
>but it does reflect on the whole company. Apparently Intel took back
>significant marketshare in the flashram realm; and flash is more
>important to AMD than it is to Intel.
>
>Intel tiger uses price cutting to spoil AMD strategy
>http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=20674
>
> Yousuf Khan

and more to come in the future....

Intel expects to spend $5.1 billion on capital improvements in 2005, up
from $3.8 billion last year.
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/050112/intel_spending_5.html

Ed

rush

"YKhan" <yjkhan@gmail.com> wrote :

> Well, apparently Intel had a very good quarter, and it hurt AMD.
> Mostly in the realm of flash memory not processors where the
> hurting happened, but it does reflect on the whole company.
> Apparently Intel took back significant marketshare in the flashram
> realm; and flash is more important to AMD than it is to Intel.

No wonder. I do embedded stuff for a living. Uniflash is my daily buddy
(I'm even mentioned in the doc file :p), and yet I never saw an AMD
flash chip :) (pricelists and pictures do not count).
Atmel, Winbond, SST, Intel, Macronix, Mosel yes, but no AMD - now thats
funny.

Pozdrawiam.
--
RusH //
http://randki.o2.pl/profil.php?id_r=352019

RusH wrote:
> No wonder. I do embedded stuff for a living. Uniflash is my daily buddy
> (I'm even mentioned in the doc file :p), and yet I never saw an AMD
> flash chip :) (pricelists and pictures do not count).
> Atmel, Winbond, SST, Intel, Macronix, Mosel yes, but no AMD - now thats
> funny.

And I don't think you will either, since this flash business is a joint
venture with Fujitsu. So more than likely it will go under the name of
the JV, Spansion.

Yousuf Khan

RusH wrote:

>"YKhan" <yjkhan@gmail.com> wrote :
>
>> Well, apparently Intel had a very good quarter, and it hurt AMD.
>> Mostly in the realm of flash memory not processors where the
>> hurting happened, but it does reflect on the whole company.
>> Apparently Intel took back significant marketshare in the flashram
>> realm; and flash is more important to AMD than it is to Intel.
>
>No wonder. I do embedded stuff for a living. Uniflash is my daily buddy
>(I'm even mentioned in the doc file :p), and yet I never saw an AMD
>flash chip :) (pricelists and pictures do not count).
>Atmel, Winbond, SST, Intel, Macronix, Mosel yes, but no AMD - now thats
>funny.

Really? My company uses tons of AMD flash. They are our primary
supplier.

chrisv wrote:
> Really? My company uses tons of AMD flash. They are our primary
> supplier.

Do they say AMD or Spansion?

Yousuf Khan

rush

chrisv <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote :

> Really?

yes

> My company uses tons of AMD flash. They are our primary
> supplier.

where do they go ? Maybe just USA companies use them, because every
single sbc and embedded board i had in my hand was stuffed with something
different (all from China/Taiwan/Korea).

Pozdrawiam.
--
RusH //
http://randki.o2.pl/profil.php?id_r=352019

keith

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 00:30:32 +0000, RusH wrote:

> chrisv <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote :
>
>> Really?
>
> yes
>
>> My company uses tons of AMD flash. They are our primary
>> supplier.
>
> where do they go ? Maybe just USA companies use them, because every
> single sbc and embedded board i had in my hand was stuffed with something
> different (all from China/Taiwan/Korea).

Probably all you see is gray stuff. ;-)

--
Keith

Yousuf Khan wrote:

>chrisv wrote:
>> Really? My company uses tons of AMD flash. They are our primary
>> supplier.
>
>Do they say AMD or Spansion?

AMD, or rather, that little "a" symbol that AMD uses. Not much room
for much else... 8)

RusH wrote:

>chrisv <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote :
>>
>> My company uses tons of AMD flash. They are our primary
>> supplier.
>
>where do they go ? Maybe just USA companies use them, because every
>single sbc and embedded board i had in my hand was stuffed with something
>different (all from China/Taiwan/Korea).

Our stuff is made in USA, baby. 8) Most of it, anyway...

chrisv wrote:

>Yousuf Khan wrote:
>
>>chrisv wrote:
>>> Really? My company uses tons of AMD flash. They are our primary
>>> supplier.
>>
>>Do they say AMD or Spansion?
>
>AMD, or rather, that little "a" symbol that AMD uses. Not much room
>for much else... 8)

Oop. Looking again, under the 'scope, "AMD" is indeed spelled-out,
along with the usual part-number and lot-code info...

rush

chrisv <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote :

> Our stuff is made in USA, baby. 8) Most of it, anyway...

you must be one of those few thousand americans fortunate enough not to
shop at wallmart :)

Pozdrawiam.
--

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 17:53:44 +0000 (UTC), RusH <logistyka1@pf.pl> wrote:

>chrisv <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote :
>
>> Our stuff is made in USA, baby. 8) Most of it, anyway...
>
>you must be one of those few thousand americans fortunate enough not to
>shop at wallmart :)

Harrumph - didn't you know that the top people shop at Target?

--
Rgds, George Macdonald

RusH wrote:

>chrisv <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote :
>
>> Our stuff is made in USA, baby. 8) Most of it, anyway...
>
>you must be one of those few thousand americans fortunate enough not to
>shop at wallmart :)

Yeah, "American electronics manufacturer" is almost an oxymoron, these
days. But we do it, up here in the great white north. 8)

keith

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 17:53:44 +0000, RusH wrote:

> chrisv <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote :
>
>> Our stuff is made in USA, baby. 8) Most of it, anyway...
>
> you must be one of those few thousand americans fortunate enough not to
> shop at wallmart :)

The only thing I buy at Wallmar id ammo. They have very good prices on
it. I can shoot a whole day on a brick of .22LR for $9, with perhaps a
box of .357 ($14) thrown in. Good stuff, and made in America. ;-)

Other than that I rarely walk in the place.

--
Keith

keith

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 15:02:22 -0500, George Macdonald wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 17:53:44 +0000 (UTC), RusH <logistyka1@pf.pl> wrote:
>
>>chrisv <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote :
>>
>>> Our stuff is made in USA, baby. 8) Most of it, anyway...
>>
>>you must be one of those few thousand americans fortunate enough not to
>>shop at wallmart :)
>
> Harrumph - didn't you know that the top people shop at Target?

I don't shop in French stores either. ;-)

--
Keith

P.S. There arent' any in the state.

keith

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 15:16:26 -0600, chrisv wrote:

> RusH wrote:
>
>>chrisv <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote :
>>
>>> Our stuff is made in USA, baby. 8) Most of it, anyway...
>>
>>you must be one of those few thousand americans fortunate enough not to
>>shop at wallmart :)
>
> Yeah, "American electronics manufacturer" is almost an oxymoron, these
> days. But we do it, up here in the great white north. 8)

We make some of that electronics stuff here too, and then
package it up thar in Canuckistan, eh? ;-)

--
Keith

chrisv wrote:
>>>Do they say AMD or Spansion?
>>
>>AMD, or rather, that little "a" symbol that AMD uses. Not much room
>>for much else... 8)
>

> Oop. Looking again, under the 'scope, "AMD" is indeed spelled-out,
> along with the usual part-number and lot-code info...

Could these be older parts?

Yousuf Khan