Closed

Is 143 degrees(F) considered too hot for an AMD Athlon 64 ..

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
January 12, 2005 8:46:05 PM

Hello!

Is this temperature considered too hot for a 80 degrees(F) room and 100+
degrees(F) ASUS K8V SE motherboard's temperature sensor? It is in a
mid-tower ATX PC case. You can read the full computer specifications at
http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.tx... (primary box).
I wonder if the current fans are not enough. I did not build this
computer though.

Thank you in advance. :)
--
"We are closer to the ants than to butterflies. Very few people can endure much leisure." --Gerald Brenan
/\___/\
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
( )
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2005 4:30:42 AM

Bitstring <OoadnQ07V68gK3jcRVn-ow@mminternet.net>, from the wonderful
person ANTant@zimage.com said
>Hello!
>
>Is this temperature considered too hot for a 80 degrees(F) room and 100+
>degrees(F) ASUS K8V SE motherboard's temperature sensor? It is in a
>mid-tower ATX PC case. You can read the full computer specifications at
>http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.tx... (primary box).
>I wonder if the current fans are not enough. I did not build this
>computer though.

Hmm, most of us scientists speak Celsius these days .. but no, 61c is
not completely ridiculous for a 3200+ =UNDER FULL LOAD= (it is
=marginal=, and it's ridiculous for an idle machine). What you need to
do is save the planet and turn the room thermostat down - 80f is more
than you need (unless of course you are somewhere where it's summer, and
99f outside, in which case 80f is dandy .. however some Americans have a
nasty tendency to heat to 80f in winder and cool to 65f in summer.)

The delta from room to case looks reasonable for normal case airflow.
You can always check - take the side off the case and see if it helps a
lot, if it does, adjust your case fans.

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can
a b à CPUs

ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Is this temperature considered too hot for a 80 degrees(F) room and 100+
> degrees(F) ASUS K8V SE motherboard's temperature sensor? It is in a
> mid-tower ATX PC case. You can read the full computer specifications at
> http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.tx... (primary box).
> I wonder if the current fans are not enough. I did not build this
> computer though.
>
> Thank you in advance. :)

You don't say whether you are getting that 143'F when the
processor is idle or when it is working hard.

143'F is about 62'C. That is acceptable for an Athlon64
under load, but a little bit on the high side if that is the idle
temp. Most people start using more powerful CPU cooling before
the hit 62'C for a loaded processor, but 62'C is still well
within AMD's published tolerances.

100'F for your motherboard is only about 39'C - nothing to
worry about.
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2005 7:16:02 AM

GSV Three Minds in a Can <GSV@quik.clara.co.uk> wrote:
> Bitstring <OoadnQ07V68gK3jcRVn-ow@mminternet.net>, from the wonderful
> person ANTant@zimage.com said
> >Hello!
> >
> >Is this temperature considered too hot for a 80 degrees(F) room and 100+
> >degrees(F) ASUS K8V SE motherboard's temperature sensor? It is in a
> >mid-tower ATX PC case. You can read the full computer specifications at
> >http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.tx... (primary box).
> >I wonder if the current fans are not enough. I did not build this
> >computer though.

> Hmm, most of us scientists speak Celsius these days .. but no, 61c is
> not completely ridiculous for a 3200+ =UNDER FULL LOAD= (it is
> =marginal=, and it's ridiculous for an idle machine). What you need to
> do is save the planet and turn the room thermostat down - 80f is more
> than you need (unless of course you are somewhere where it's summer, and
> 99f outside, in which case 80f is dandy .. however some Americans have a
> nasty tendency to heat to 80f in winder and cool to 65f in summer.)

Actually, I don't use the heater because my computer gives enough heat.
Summer would be indeed a problem since it can go up to 86 degrees(F)
[don't know the C conversion].

> The delta from room to case looks reasonable for normal case airflow.
> You can always check - take the side off the case and see if it helps a
> lot, if it does, adjust your case fans.

OK.
--
"We are closer to the ants than to butterflies. Very few people can endure much leisure." --Gerald Brenan
/\___/\
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
( )
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2005 7:17:48 AM

Rob Stow <rob.stow.nospam@shaw.ca> wrote:
> ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > Is this temperature considered too hot for a 80 degrees(F) room and 100+
> > degrees(F) ASUS K8V SE motherboard's temperature sensor? It is in a
> > mid-tower ATX PC case. You can read the full computer specifications at
> > http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.tx... (primary box).
> > I wonder if the current fans are not enough. I did not build this
> > computer though.
> >
> > Thank you in advance. :)

> You don't say whether you are getting that 143'F when the
> processor is idle or when it is working hard.

During gaming like DOOM 3, Half-Life 2, etc. ASUS CMOS did complain
about the CPU being too hot when I had to reboot from a blue screen
crash during gaming.

> 143'F is about 62'C. That is acceptable for an Athlon64
> under load, but a little bit on the high side if that is the idle
> temp. Most people start using more powerful CPU cooling before
> the hit 62'C for a loaded processor, but 62'C is still well
> within AMD's published tolerances.

> 100'F for your motherboard is only about 39'C - nothing to
> worry about.

OK.
--
"We are closer to the ants than to butterflies. Very few people can endure much leisure." --Gerald Brenan
/\___/\
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
( )
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2005 3:16:08 PM

ANTant@zimage.com wrote:

> Summer would be indeed a problem since it can go up to 86 degrees(F)
> [don't know the C conversion].

(Google is your friend.)

T_C = (T_F - 32) * 5/9
January 13, 2005 10:18:38 PM

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 01:30:42 +0000, GSV Three Minds in a Can
<GSV@quik.clara.co.uk> wrote:

>Hmm, most of us scientists speak Celsius these days .. but no, 61c is
>not completely ridiculous for a 3200+ =UNDER FULL LOAD= (it is
>=marginal=, and it's ridiculous for an idle machine).

My XP2500+ used to hit 90c under full load (overclocked) it was rock
stable though would play any game for as long as you wanted. I never
quite knew whether to believe the temp reading I was getting. Now I
run it at stock with silent fan undervolted and it hits 50c.
--
Remove any underwear before replying by email
Anonymous

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 17:46:05 -0600, ANTant@zimage.com wrote:

>Hello!
>
>Is this temperature considered too hot for a 80 degrees(F) room and 100+
>degrees(F) ASUS K8V SE motherboard's temperature sensor? It is in a
>mid-tower ATX PC case. You can read the full computer specifications at
>http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.tx... (primary box).
>I wonder if the current fans are not enough. I did not build this
>computer though.

From what I've seen low 60sC is not unusual under heavy load for any AMD
130nm CPU, especially with your ambient being so *high*. Check for updates
of BIOS and monitoring software though, especially if the idle temp does
not go down to 45-50C. If you get hangs or reboots, also make sure that
you have no cables impeding air flow to the memory.

--
Rgds, George Macdonald
Anonymous

ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
> Hello!

> Is this temperature considered too hot for a 80 degrees(F) room and 100+
> degrees(F) ASUS K8V SE motherboard's temperature sensor? It is in a
> mid-tower ATX PC case. You can read the full computer specifications at
> http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.tx... (primary box).
> I wonder if the current fans are not enough. I did not build this
> computer though.

> Thank you in advance. :)

As a follow-up:

I redid the thermal paste in the CPU, readjusted its heat sink, and even
added an Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer revision 2 for ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
AIW (128 MB) card. My current CPU temperature is about 55 C/131 F
degrees, MB temperature is about 38 C/100 F. This is in a 75 F/24 C
degrees room. At least I fixed my DOOM 3's issue with dots (known issue)
with ATI Radeon video cards.

I am still worried about the CPU temperatures. Still a bit high. I am
not OC'ing or doing anything heavy at the moment.
--
"Where there is sugar, there are bound to be ants." --Malay Proverb
/\___/\
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
( )
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 17, 2005 5:42:02 PM

ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
> I redid the thermal paste in the CPU, readjusted its heat
> sink, and even added an Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer revision
> 2 for ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW (128 MB) card. My current CPU
> temperature is about 55 C/131 F degrees, MB temperature is
> about 38 C/100 F. This is in a 75 F/24 C degrees room. At

OK. It sounds like you've fixed the case airflow (clean
suction to all fans, fans not fighting). 38'C mobo isn't
bad in a stuffed box.

> I am still worried about the CPU temperatures. Still a bit
> high. I am not OC'ing or doing anything heavy at the moment.

Your 'puter has chilled, and so should you! :)

IIRC, spec on your Ath64 2.2 GHz is 70'C. Yes, the mobo
thermister reads low, but you're probably still OK.

"modern" low voltage CPU leak like seives and have high power
(25+W?) even at idle. Makes them unsuitable for laptops
(thus the longevity of the iP6 core) _and_ raises idle temps.

I don't know how much load DOOM puts on the machine. AFAIK,
modern games/graphlibs (is DOOM?) put more load on the vidcard
than the CPU. Try my `burnK7` or just leave it at the BIOS
"PC Health" temperature/voltage readings for half an hours.

-- Robert author `cpuburn` http://pages.sbcglobal.net/redelm
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 18, 2005 7:30:06 PM

Robert Redelmeier <redelm@ev1.net.invalid> wrote:
> ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
> > I redid the thermal paste in the CPU, readjusted its heat
> > sink, and even added an Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer revision
> > 2 for ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW (128 MB) card. My current CPU
> > temperature is about 55 C/131 F degrees, MB temperature is
> > about 38 C/100 F. This is in a 75 F/24 C degrees room. At

> OK. It sounds like you've fixed the case airflow (clean
> suction to all fans, fans not fighting). 38'C mobo isn't
> bad in a stuffed box.

The temperatures go up when I game. It takes a long time to
cool down (recover).

> > I am still worried about the CPU temperatures. Still a bit
> > high. I am not OC'ing or doing anything heavy at the moment.

> Your 'puter has chilled, and so should you! :)

:p  Yeah, but computer problems make go crazy. :)

> IIRC, spec on your Ath64 2.2 GHz is 70'C. Yes, the mobo
> thermister reads low, but you're probably still OK.

> "modern" low voltage CPU leak like seives and have high power
> (25+W?) even at idle. Makes them unsuitable for laptops
> (thus the longevity of the iP6 core) _and_ raises idle temps.

> I don't know how much load DOOM puts on the machine. AFAIK,
> modern games/graphlibs (is DOOM?) put more load on the vidcard
> than the CPU. Try my `burnK7` or just leave it at the BIOS
> "PC Health" temperature/voltage readings for half an hours.

I ran burnk7 (cpuburn) twice (one last night and one this
morning). Last night got up to 145(F)/63(C) degrees for CPU for
a 5-10 minutes cpuburn. This morning (cooler room), it went up
to 141(F)/61(C) degrees for CPU for 30 minutes.

I think the problem is coming from my ATI Radeon 9800 video card. I
notice Windows will either crash (blue screen) or reboot when I am
recording. I know recording takes up some CPU, but does not makes
CPU go up to crazy temperatures like in games and cpuburn.

I wonder if this Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer revision 2 is properly
installed. :(
--
"Where there is sugar, there are bound to be ants." --Malay Proverb
/\___/\
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
( )
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 19, 2005 6:00:02 AM

ANTant@zimage.com wrote in news:o oadnQ07V68gK3jcRVn-ow@mminternet.net:

> Is this temperature considered too hot for a 80 degrees(F) room and 100+
> degrees(F) ASUS K8V SE motherboard's temperature sensor? It is in a
> mid-tower ATX PC case. You can read the full computer specifications at
> http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.tx... (primary box).
> I wonder if the current fans are not enough. I did not build this
> computer though.

That seems a little high to me. I have a 3200+ (939 pin) AMD 64 in my
system, and the idle (0% CPU load) temperature is 87F.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 19, 2005 10:06:06 PM

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 03:00:02 GMT, Jerry Gardner
<jg2-usenet@gardnerclan.net> wrote:

>ANTant@zimage.com wrote in news:o oadnQ07V68gK3jcRVn-ow@mminternet.net:
>
>> Is this temperature considered too hot for a 80 degrees(F) room and 100+
>> degrees(F) ASUS K8V SE motherboard's temperature sensor? It is in a
>> mid-tower ATX PC case. You can read the full computer specifications at
>> http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.tx... (primary box).
>> I wonder if the current fans are not enough. I did not build this
>> computer though.
>
>That seems a little high to me. I have a 3200+ (939 pin) AMD 64 in my
>system, and the idle (0% CPU load) temperature is 87F.

The Skt939 3200+ is the 90nm Winchester core which runs cooler than the
130nm Newcastle... about 10C lower for a 3500+. If your CPU temp is really
30.5C my estimate would put your room ambient at ~15C... kinda cool for
me.:-)

--
Rgds, George Macdonald
May 21, 2009 8:04:26 AM

mine runs from 39c to 53c(max) on a hot day it runs over 20 hrs a day sometimes
has ran it this way since 2 1/2 i got a dual fan card inside another intake fan on the side and a passive fanner k8 heat sink
bout the only way it would screw up is if i took a hammer to it i thik
running 2 1/2 gigs of ultra pc3200 400mhz ram
i never have even worried about the heat before but finally installed the asus probe v2.22.04 to monitor temp about a month ago .
just for kicks i plan to install the biggest cpu cooler and fan i can fit in the case in the near future
youd think id have had probs before if the heat was to much
spec sez it ll go to 70c
for some reason my computer guru thinks is a super system but i feel its more like "reliable" heavy duty i even went so far as to use rounded cables and anything else that was rumored to keep it cool lol
got a 600 w axion ps also
a c 126 à CPUs
May 21, 2009 8:11:52 AM

DEAR GODS ABOVE LOOK AT THE POSTING DATE!!!!

Its from 2005.... 4 years ago....

Random, close this pls!!!!!
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2009 7:58:45 AM