Closed

Is 143 degrees(F) considered too hot for an AMD Athlon 64 ..

Hello!

Is this temperature considered too hot for a 80 degrees(F) room and 100+
degrees(F) ASUS K8V SE motherboard's temperature sensor? It is in a
mid-tower ATX PC case. You can read the full computer specifications at
http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.txt (primary box).
I wonder if the current fans are not enough. I did not build this
computer though.

Thank you in advance. :)
--
"We are closer to the ants than to butterflies. Very few people can endure much leisure." --Gerald Brenan
/\___/\
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
( )
16
answers
Last reply
More about degrees considered athlon

    Bitstring <OoadnQ07V68gK3jcRVn-ow@mminternet.net>, from the wonderful
    person ANTant@zimage.com said
    >Hello!
    >
    >Is this temperature considered too hot for a 80 degrees(F) room and 100+
    >degrees(F) ASUS K8V SE motherboard's temperature sensor? It is in a
    >mid-tower ATX PC case. You can read the full computer specifications at
    >http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.txt (primary box).
    >I wonder if the current fans are not enough. I did not build this
    >computer though.

    Hmm, most of us scientists speak Celsius these days .. but no, 61c is
    not completely ridiculous for a 3200+ =UNDER FULL LOAD= (it is
    =marginal=, and it's ridiculous for an idle machine). What you need to
    do is save the planet and turn the room thermostat down - 80f is more
    than you need (unless of course you are somewhere where it's summer, and
    99f outside, in which case 80f is dandy .. however some Americans have a
    nasty tendency to heat to 80f in winder and cool to 65f in summer.)

    The delta from room to case looks reasonable for normal case airflow.
    You can always check - take the side off the case and see if it helps a
    lot, if it does, adjust your case fans.

    --
    GSV Three Minds in a Can

    ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
    > Hello!
    >
    > Is this temperature considered too hot for a 80 degrees(F) room and 100+
    > degrees(F) ASUS K8V SE motherboard's temperature sensor? It is in a
    > mid-tower ATX PC case. You can read the full computer specifications at
    > http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.txt (primary box).
    > I wonder if the current fans are not enough. I did not build this
    > computer though.
    >
    > Thank you in advance. :)

    You don't say whether you are getting that 143'F when the
    processor is idle or when it is working hard.

    143'F is about 62'C. That is acceptable for an Athlon64
    under load, but a little bit on the high side if that is the idle
    temp. Most people start using more powerful CPU cooling before
    the hit 62'C for a loaded processor, but 62'C is still well
    within AMD's published tolerances.

    100'F for your motherboard is only about 39'C - nothing to
    worry about.

    GSV Three Minds in a Can <GSV@quik.clara.co.uk> wrote:
    > Bitstring <OoadnQ07V68gK3jcRVn-ow@mminternet.net>, from the wonderful
    > person ANTant@zimage.com said
    > >Hello!
    > >
    > >Is this temperature considered too hot for a 80 degrees(F) room and 100+
    > >degrees(F) ASUS K8V SE motherboard's temperature sensor? It is in a
    > >mid-tower ATX PC case. You can read the full computer specifications at
    > >http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.txt (primary box).
    > >I wonder if the current fans are not enough. I did not build this
    > >computer though.

    > Hmm, most of us scientists speak Celsius these days .. but no, 61c is
    > not completely ridiculous for a 3200+ =UNDER FULL LOAD= (it is
    > =marginal=, and it's ridiculous for an idle machine). What you need to
    > do is save the planet and turn the room thermostat down - 80f is more
    > than you need (unless of course you are somewhere where it's summer, and
    > 99f outside, in which case 80f is dandy .. however some Americans have a
    > nasty tendency to heat to 80f in winder and cool to 65f in summer.)

    Actually, I don't use the heater because my computer gives enough heat.
    Summer would be indeed a problem since it can go up to 86 degrees(F)
    [don't know the C conversion].

    > The delta from room to case looks reasonable for normal case airflow.
    > You can always check - take the side off the case and see if it helps a
    > lot, if it does, adjust your case fans.

    OK.
    --

    Rob Stow <rob.stow.nospam@shaw.ca> wrote:
    > ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
    > > Hello!
    > >
    > > Is this temperature considered too hot for a 80 degrees(F) room and 100+
    > > degrees(F) ASUS K8V SE motherboard's temperature sensor? It is in a
    > > mid-tower ATX PC case. You can read the full computer specifications at
    > > http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.txt (primary box).
    > > I wonder if the current fans are not enough. I did not build this
    > > computer though.
    > >
    > > Thank you in advance. :)

    > You don't say whether you are getting that 143'F when the
    > processor is idle or when it is working hard.

    During gaming like DOOM 3, Half-Life 2, etc. ASUS CMOS did complain
    about the CPU being too hot when I had to reboot from a blue screen
    crash during gaming.

    > 143'F is about 62'C. That is acceptable for an Athlon64
    > under load, but a little bit on the high side if that is the idle
    > temp. Most people start using more powerful CPU cooling before
    > the hit 62'C for a loaded processor, but 62'C is still well
    > within AMD's published tolerances.

    > 100'F for your motherboard is only about 39'C - nothing to
    > worry about.

    OK.
    --

    ANTant@zimage.com wrote:

    > Summer would be indeed a problem since it can go up to 86 degrees(F)
    > [don't know the C conversion].

    (Google is your friend.)

    T_C = (T_F - 32) * 5/9

    On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 01:30:42 +0000, GSV Three Minds in a Can
    <GSV@quik.clara.co.uk> wrote:

    >Hmm, most of us scientists speak Celsius these days .. but no, 61c is
    >not completely ridiculous for a 3200+ =UNDER FULL LOAD= (it is
    >=marginal=, and it's ridiculous for an idle machine).

    My XP2500+ used to hit 90c under full load (overclocked) it was rock
    stable though would play any game for as long as you wanted. I never
    quite knew whether to believe the temp reading I was getting. Now I
    run it at stock with silent fan undervolted and it hits 50c.
    --
    Remove any underwear before replying by email

    On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 17:46:05 -0600, ANTant@zimage.com wrote:

    >Hello!
    >
    >Is this temperature considered too hot for a 80 degrees(F) room and 100+
    >degrees(F) ASUS K8V SE motherboard's temperature sensor? It is in a
    >mid-tower ATX PC case. You can read the full computer specifications at
    >http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.txt (primary box).
    >I wonder if the current fans are not enough. I did not build this
    >computer though.

    From what I've seen low 60sC is not unusual under heavy load for any AMD
    130nm CPU, especially with your ambient being so *high*. Check for updates
    of BIOS and monitoring software though, especially if the idle temp does
    not go down to 45-50C. If you get hangs or reboots, also make sure that
    you have no cables impeding air flow to the memory.

    --
    Rgds, George Macdonald

    ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
    > Hello!

    > Is this temperature considered too hot for a 80 degrees(F) room and 100+
    > degrees(F) ASUS K8V SE motherboard's temperature sensor? It is in a
    > mid-tower ATX PC case. You can read the full computer specifications at
    > http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.txt (primary box).
    > I wonder if the current fans are not enough. I did not build this
    > computer though.

    > Thank you in advance. :)

    As a follow-up:

    I redid the thermal paste in the CPU, readjusted its heat sink, and even
    added an Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer revision 2 for ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
    AIW (128 MB) card. My current CPU temperature is about 55 C/131 F
    degrees, MB temperature is about 38 C/100 F. This is in a 75 F/24 C
    degrees room. At least I fixed my DOOM 3's issue with dots (known issue)
    with ATI Radeon video cards.

    I am still worried about the CPU temperatures. Still a bit high. I am
    not OC'ing or doing anything heavy at the moment.
    --
    "Where there is sugar, there are bound to be ants." --Malay Proverb
    /\___/\

    ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
    > I redid the thermal paste in the CPU, readjusted its heat
    > sink, and even added an Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer revision
    > 2 for ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW (128 MB) card. My current CPU
    > temperature is about 55 C/131 F degrees, MB temperature is
    > about 38 C/100 F. This is in a 75 F/24 C degrees room. At

    OK. It sounds like you've fixed the case airflow (clean
    suction to all fans, fans not fighting). 38'C mobo isn't
    bad in a stuffed box.

    > I am still worried about the CPU temperatures. Still a bit
    > high. I am not OC'ing or doing anything heavy at the moment.

    Your 'puter has chilled, and so should you! :)

    IIRC, spec on your Ath64 2.2 GHz is 70'C. Yes, the mobo
    thermister reads low, but you're probably still OK.

    "modern" low voltage CPU leak like seives and have high power
    (25+W?) even at idle. Makes them unsuitable for laptops
    (thus the longevity of the iP6 core) _and_ raises idle temps.

    I don't know how much load DOOM puts on the machine. AFAIK,
    modern games/graphlibs (is DOOM?) put more load on the vidcard
    than the CPU. Try my `burnK7` or just leave it at the BIOS
    "PC Health" temperature/voltage readings for half an hours.

    -- Robert author `cpuburn` http://pages.sbcglobal.net/redelm

    Robert Redelmeier <redelm@ev1.net.invalid> wrote:
    > ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
    > > I redid the thermal paste in the CPU, readjusted its heat
    > > sink, and even added an Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer revision
    > > 2 for ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW (128 MB) card. My current CPU
    > > temperature is about 55 C/131 F degrees, MB temperature is
    > > about 38 C/100 F. This is in a 75 F/24 C degrees room. At

    > OK. It sounds like you've fixed the case airflow (clean
    > suction to all fans, fans not fighting). 38'C mobo isn't
    > bad in a stuffed box.

    The temperatures go up when I game. It takes a long time to
    cool down (recover).

    > > I am still worried about the CPU temperatures. Still a bit
    > > high. I am not OC'ing or doing anything heavy at the moment.

    > Your 'puter has chilled, and so should you! :)

    :P Yeah, but computer problems make go crazy. :)

    > IIRC, spec on your Ath64 2.2 GHz is 70'C. Yes, the mobo
    > thermister reads low, but you're probably still OK.

    > "modern" low voltage CPU leak like seives and have high power
    > (25+W?) even at idle. Makes them unsuitable for laptops
    > (thus the longevity of the iP6 core) _and_ raises idle temps.

    > I don't know how much load DOOM puts on the machine. AFAIK,
    > modern games/graphlibs (is DOOM?) put more load on the vidcard
    > than the CPU. Try my `burnK7` or just leave it at the BIOS
    > "PC Health" temperature/voltage readings for half an hours.

    I ran burnk7 (cpuburn) twice (one last night and one this
    morning). Last night got up to 145(F)/63(C) degrees for CPU for
    a 5-10 minutes cpuburn. This morning (cooler room), it went up
    to 141(F)/61(C) degrees for CPU for 30 minutes.

    I think the problem is coming from my ATI Radeon 9800 video card. I
    notice Windows will either crash (blue screen) or reboot when I am
    recording. I know recording takes up some CPU, but does not makes
    CPU go up to crazy temperatures like in games and cpuburn.

    I wonder if this Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer revision 2 is properly
    installed. :(
    --
    "Where there is sugar, there are bound to be ants." --Malay Proverb
    /\___/\
    | |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
    ( )
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

    ANTant@zimage.com wrote in news:OoadnQ07V68gK3jcRVn-ow@mminternet.net:

    > Is this temperature considered too hot for a 80 degrees(F) room and 100+
    > degrees(F) ASUS K8V SE motherboard's temperature sensor? It is in a
    > mid-tower ATX PC case. You can read the full computer specifications at
    > http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.txt (primary box).
    > I wonder if the current fans are not enough. I did not build this
    > computer though.

    That seems a little high to me. I have a 3200+ (939 pin) AMD 64 in my
    system, and the idle (0% CPU load) temperature is 87F.
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

    On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 03:00:02 GMT, Jerry Gardner
    <jg2-usenet@gardnerclan.net> wrote:

    >ANTant@zimage.com wrote in news:OoadnQ07V68gK3jcRVn-ow@mminternet.net:
    >
    >> Is this temperature considered too hot for a 80 degrees(F) room and 100+
    >> degrees(F) ASUS K8V SE motherboard's temperature sensor? It is in a
    >> mid-tower ATX PC case. You can read the full computer specifications at
    >> http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.txt (primary box).
    >> I wonder if the current fans are not enough. I did not build this
    >> computer though.
    >
    >That seems a little high to me. I have a 3200+ (939 pin) AMD 64 in my
    >system, and the idle (0% CPU load) temperature is 87F.

    The Skt939 3200+ is the 90nm Winchester core which runs cooler than the
    130nm Newcastle... about 10C lower for a 3500+. If your CPU temp is really
    30.5C my estimate would put your room ambient at ~15C... kinda cool for
    me.:-)

    --
    Rgds, George Macdonald
  13. mine runs from 39c to 53c(max) on a hot day it runs over 20 hrs a day sometimes

    Its from 2005.... 4 years ago....

    Random, close this pls!!!!!
  15. Close 'em all.
  16. jimmysmitty said: