wierd processor issues

A week ago my comptuter froze up a couple of times. I have the AMD
Athlon XP 2500+. I checked for viruses etc... It was none of that. I
ran a diagnostic program and it said my cpu fan had failed. I changed
the fan and put in a nice Speeze fan. It is running at 2300rpm
according to my BIOS. Well last night I decided to run the diagnostic
program again. It said my fan is running at 900rpm and has failed and
that my VCORE is above the rated amount. IT shows 2.6V. I went into
my BIOS and it's showing the VCORE at 1.65v and the fan at 2300. Can
anyone help me out with some suggestions on what to do to make sure
everything's cool with my CPU? The only thing that I have done lately
to my computer is add 2 512 PC3200 RAM sticks to bring me to 1.5 gig.
I don't think that would affect anything, but I'm at a lost as to what
this may be.

--
Jimmymite

Ed

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 16:11:30 +0000, Jimmymite
<Jimmymite.1ix5vo@news.computerbanter.com> wrote:

>A week ago my comptuter froze up a couple of times. I have the AMD
>Athlon XP 2500+. I checked for viruses etc... It was none of that. I
>ran a diagnostic program and it said my cpu fan had failed. I changed
>the fan and put in a nice Speeze fan. It is running at 2300rpm
>according to my BIOS. Well last night I decided to run the diagnostic
>program again. It said my fan is running at 900rpm and has failed and
>that my VCORE is above the rated amount. IT shows 2.6V. I went into
>my BIOS and it's showing the VCORE at 1.65v and the fan at 2300. Can
>anyone help me out with some suggestions on what to do to make sure
>everything's cool with my CPU? The only thing that I have done lately
>to my computer is add 2 512 PC3200 RAM sticks to bring me to 1.5 gig.
>I don't think that would affect anything, but I'm at a lost as to what
>this may be.

Try a different diag proggy, like SpeedFan or Motherboard Monitor.
AIDA32, CPU-Z and Sisoft Sandra can also be useful for certain things.

If the new ram has different timings then the old stick try setting the
ram timings manually in the BIOS to the slowest stick.

Memtest86+ and Prime95 can be useful for testing Ram.

Ed

Jd

so do you have three sticks of 512 installed now? forgive my guess work
if i am wrong, but if you started at 512 and if you follow the general
rule of doubling the amount of ram per upgrade, should you not now have
either 1 gig or 2 gigs of ram rather then 1.5? i'm sure i've read
somewhere that when even spec memory sticks are installed they should
be installed in pairs, otherwise you may encounter performance
problems. might you need one more stick or one less stick to make even
pairs? perhaps this is completely off the mark, but i thought i would
chime in regardless. good luck : )

Jd

just want to clear up the above. i think i read double the amount of
ram you started with. then if you want to add more (even at the same
time) double the amount once again, and so on ond so forth. i've also
read that too much ram can actually slow a computer depending on it's
other specs. might you have too much ram installed? just a thought.

On 15 Jan 2005 17:18:26 -0800, "jd" <sickboy2all@aol.com> wrote:
>i've also
>read that too much ram can actually slow a computer depending on it's
>other specs. might you have too much ram installed? just a thought.

I think that's a leftover from the P2 K6 days when the board doesn't
have enough tag ram to cache beyond something like 64MB of RAM. Not
likely to be an issue to anybody's modern board :p

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 16:11:30 +0000, Jimmymite
<Jimmymite.1ix5vo@news.computerbanter.com> wrote:

>A week ago my comptuter froze up a couple of times. I have the AMD
>Athlon XP 2500+. I checked for viruses etc... It was none of that. I
>ran a diagnostic program and it said my cpu fan had failed. I changed
>the fan and put in a nice Speeze fan. It is running at 2300rpm
>according to my BIOS. Well last night I decided to run the diagnostic
>program again. It said my fan is running at 900rpm and has failed and
>that my VCORE is above the rated amount. IT shows 2.6V. I went into
>my BIOS and it's showing the VCORE at 1.65v and the fan at 2300. Can
>anyone help me out with some suggestions on what to do to make sure
>everything's cool with my CPU?

Which mbrd do you have? Many of the mbrd monitoring/diagnostic tools, even
those from the mbrd mfr, are not that reliable - some are downright flakey.
Make sure the mbrd monitoring prog is the latest version and you're not
running it in "dynamic overclocking" mode, if that's an option with yours.
Check for BIOS updates, use conservative settings in BIOS Setup and trust
the numbers there over the monitoring software.

> The only thing that I have done lately
>to my computer is add 2 512 PC3200 RAM sticks to bring me to 1.5 gig.
>I don't think that would affect anything, but I'm at a lost as to what
>this may be.

If you've loaded the memory system up with 6 ranks (DIMM sides) of chips,
you may have to be very careful about matching and choice of DIMMs. It's
always better to use the exact same mfrs's modules and check for
compatibility with mbrd docs.

--
Rgds, George Macdonald

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 16:11:30 +0000, Jimmymite
<Jimmymite.1ix5vo@news.computerbanter.com> wrote:

>A week ago my comptuter froze up a couple of times. I have the AMD
>Athlon XP 2500+. I checked for viruses etc... It was none of that. I
>ran a diagnostic program and it said my cpu fan had failed. I changed
>the fan and put in a nice Speeze fan. It is running at 2300rpm
>according to my BIOS. Well last night I decided to run the diagnostic
>program again. It said my fan is running at 900rpm and has failed and
>that my VCORE is above the rated amount. IT shows 2.6V. I went into
>my BIOS and it's showing the VCORE at 1.65v and the fan at 2300. Can
>anyone help me out with some suggestions on what to do to make sure
>everything's cool with my CPU? The only thing that I have done lately
>to my computer is add 2 512 PC3200 RAM sticks to bring me to 1.5 gig.
>I don't think that would affect anything, but I'm at a lost as to what
>this may be.

www.memtest86

Run it overnight sometime and see if it comes up with errors. Bad
memory can causes ALL sorts of weirdness and can be very difficult to
diagnose. It might just be a coincidence that you started having some
problems recently after adding some memory, but chances are they are
related.

Tony Hill

TRENDING THREADS