Windows XP and Windows 98SE

I have a gateway P-III 800 with a 30gig wd/ide hd windows 98SE
installed. I also have a P-4 3.0 windows xp home, maxtor 160 gig sata
hd. I want to remove the drive from the 800 and install in the P-4
without losing any of the data or reformating and make a dual boot
system. What would I have to do or is this even possible? I want to
keep all files/folder and driver that I have on the 98SE system
because that would allow my printer and scanner to use all of there
features. The driver for XP that were suppied by the manuf. does not
allow either of these devices to use all of there features under
Windows XP. Thanks Carl

PS, If this is possible could you please direct me to step by step
directions or post those directions in your reply. Again Many Thanks

The chances of it working are very slim. If you decide to try it, MAKE SURE
you image the drive wiht something like Symantec Ghost, Acronis True Image,
etc. BEFORE you try it - chances are you'll wind up with a mess that
ultimately will not boot at all.

It would be better to remove the original drive from the newer system, try a
new drive in it, install 98 and see if you can get it to work - even that
may not work, since the newer Intel chipsets have no 98 drivers at all.

Bottom line: you probably would be better off with a new printer and
scanner. Unless these are very high-end models, replacing them (or
replacing them with an all-in-one) won't be that expensive.

"CLyles" <ccrlyles@aol.com> wrote in message
> I have a gateway P-III 800 with a 30gig wd/ide hd windows 98SE
> installed. I also have a P-4 3.0 windows xp home, maxtor 160 gig sata
> hd. I want to remove the drive from the 800 and install in the P-4
> without losing any of the data or reformating and make a dual boot
> system. What would I have to do or is this even possible? I want to
> keep all files/folder and driver that I have on the 98SE system
> because that would allow my printer and scanner to use all of there
> features. The driver for XP that were suppied by the manuf. does not
> allow either of these devices to use all of there features under
> Windows XP. Thanks Carl
>
> PS, If this is possible could you please direct me to step by step
> directions or post those directions in your reply. Again Many Thanks

If you simply move the disk over or clone the partition to your new drive,
Win98 will have a heck of a time trying to find drivers for your new
computer while deciding what to do with the PIII-800 drivers already
installed. It will likely not have any drivers for your new motherboard
(e.g. chipset, onboard features) and any newer peripherals and cards. These
will have to be installed manually.

I agree with the previous poster, the safest approach is to do a fresh
install of Win98 onto a separate partition in your new computer. You will
have to manually install all new drivers. You can transfer data files from
your old computer to your new one.

"CLyles" <ccrlyles@aol.com> wrote in message
> I have a gateway P-III 800 with a 30gig wd/ide hd windows 98SE
> installed. I also have a P-4 3.0 windows xp home, maxtor 160 gig sata
> hd. I want to remove the drive from the 800 and install in the P-4
> without losing any of the data or reformating and make a dual boot
> system. What would I have to do or is this even possible? I want to
> keep all files/folder and driver that I have on the 98SE system
> because that would allow my printer and scanner to use all of there
> features. The driver for XP that were suppied by the manuf. does not
> allow either of these devices to use all of there features under
> Windows XP. Thanks Carl
>
> PS, If this is possible could you please direct me to step by step
> directions or post those directions in your reply. Again Many Thanks

Thanks you both for the response, I didn't think it would be that easy so I'll
look into a the possiblility of a wireless network between the two with 98 as
server and XP client that way I can get the features and share the printer.
Again Thanks ccrllyles