Non Bios USB2 boot external dvd-burner.

This is a little off topic, but I have a PVR with Windows XP pro, floppy,
harddrive, tv-card, on a Aopen Motherboard. The problem I am having is
this motherboard does not support usb2 or even usb booting off an external
DVD burner. I have tried every setting in the bios to get this to boot off
the drive but no luck. Since most of you guys are expert, maybe you could
tell me a way to get my board or windows to boot off of that drive.

I installed the original software when the system was out of the case, I
know I can install Gnu/Linux with floppies, and have heard of some such
with Windows, but I would like to do it with the external drive. The
motherboard has a via km400 chipset, is an Aopen MK77M-8XN. The burner is
a Nec 3500A oem in a Vantec case, I know the Vantec might have its own
usb2 driver. Everything works except the ability to boot off the external
drive.

Thanks;

Gnu_Raiz
1 answer Last reply
More about bios usb2 boot external burner

    On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 02:16:47 -0600, Gnu_Raiz wrote:

    > This is a little off topic, but I have a PVR with Windows XP pro, floppy,
    > harddrive, tv-card, on a Aopen Motherboard. The problem I am having is
    > this motherboard does not support usb2 or even usb booting off an external
    > DVD burner. I have tried every setting in the bios to get this to boot off
    > the drive but no luck. Since most of you guys are expert, maybe you could
    > tell me a way to get my board or windows to boot off of that drive.
    >
    > I installed the original software when the system was out of the case, I
    > know I can install Gnu/Linux with floppies, and have heard of some such
    > with Windows, but I would like to do it with the external drive. The
    > motherboard has a via km400 chipset, is an Aopen MK77M-8XN. The burner is
    > a Nec 3500A oem in a Vantec case, I know the Vantec might have its own
    > usb2 driver. Everything works except the ability to boot off the external
    > drive.
    >
    > Thanks;
    >
    > Gnu_Raiz

    Sorry for all the double posts, my posting Usenet server wigged out on
    me, I know I only pushed the post button once, sorry all.

    Gnu_Raiz

CPUs Boot