Media: RAMBUS income slides despite revenue gains

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/01/19/rambus_results_q4_04/

Excerpt:

"Rambus' income slid during Q4 FY2004, despite a double-figure jump in
year-on-year revenue, the memory technology developer said last night.

Net income for the three months to 31 December 2004 totalled $6.5m (six
cents a share), down 24.4 per cent on the $8.6m (eight cents a share)
the company reported this time last year and 37.5 per cent lower than
the $10.4m (ten cents a share) it made in Q3 FY2004."

--
..sigmonster on vacation

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Mike Tomlinson <mike@NOSPAM.jasper.org.uk> wrote:
: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/01/19/rambus_results_q4_04/
:
<snip>
Uh, so what...

j.

keith

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 15:48:23 +0100, jack wrote:

> Mike Tomlinson <mike@NOSPAM.jasper.org.uk> wrote:
> : http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/01/19/rambus_results_q4_04/
> :
> <snip>
> Uh, so what...

If you don't care, why are you bothering to post?

--
Keith

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 13:11:32 +0000, Mike Tomlinson
<mike@NOSPAM.jasper.org.uk> wrote:

>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/01/19/rambus_results_q4_04/
>
>Excerpt:
>
>"Rambus' income slid during Q4 FY2004, despite a double-figure jump in
>year-on-year revenue, the memory technology developer said last night.
>
>Net income for the three months to 31 December 2004 totalled $6.5m (six
>cents a share), down 24.4 per cent on the $8.6m (eight cents a share)
>the company reported this time last year and 37.5 per cent lower than
>the $10.4m (ten cents a share) it made in Q3 FY2004."

You forgot to mention the bit about costs - yep, litigation *is*
expensive.:)

Is this a hook? Let's see if you get any err, bites.:)

--
Rgds, George Macdonald

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 06:43:23 -0500, George Macdonald
<fammacd=!SPAM^nothanks@tellurian.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 13:11:32 +0000, Mike Tomlinson
><mike@NOSPAM.jasper.org.uk> wrote:
>

>>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/01/19/rambus_results_q4_04/
>>
>>Excerpt:
>>
>>"Rambus' income slid during Q4 FY2004, despite a double-figure jump in
>>year-on-year revenue, the memory technology developer said last night.
>>
>>Net income for the three months to 31 December 2004 totalled $6.5m (six
>>cents a share), down 24.4 per cent on the $8.6m (eight cents a share)
>>the company reported this time last year and 37.5 per cent lower than
>>the $10.4m (ten cents a share) it made in Q3 FY2004."
>
>You forgot to mention the bit about costs - yep, litigation *is*
>expensive.:)
>
>Is this a hook? Let's see if you get any err, bites.:)

Well, he already got a couple of nibbles ;-)

So are RMBS victims Dumping or Pumping today?

The archives show how many *years* ahead some of us were with respect to the
viability of Rambus technology as main memory...and not one thing has changed
since...

/daytripper

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 10:26:36 -0500, daytripper <day_trippr@REMOVEyahoo.com>
wrote:

>On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 06:43:23 -0500, George Macdonald
><fammacd=!SPAM^nothanks@tellurian.com> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 13:11:32 +0000, Mike Tomlinson
>><mike@NOSPAM.jasper.org.uk> wrote:
>>

>>>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/01/19/rambus_results_q4_04/
>>>
>>>Excerpt:
>>>
>>>"Rambus' income slid during Q4 FY2004, despite a double-figure jump in
>>>year-on-year revenue, the memory technology developer said last night.
>>>
>>>Net income for the three months to 31 December 2004 totalled $6.5m (six
>>>cents a share), down 24.4 per cent on the $8.6m (eight cents a share)
>>>the company reported this time last year and 37.5 per cent lower than
>>>the $10.4m (ten cents a share) it made in Q3 FY2004."
>>
>>You forgot to mention the bit about costs - yep, litigation *is*
>>expensive.:)
>>
>>Is this a hook? Let's see if you get any err, bites.:)
>
>Well, he already got a couple of nibbles ;-)

Wrong species though - just little top-feeders.:)

>So are RMBS victims Dumping or Pumping today?

It all looks a mite suspicious to me -- big surprise. Apparently at ~5a.m.
PST, RMBS issued a statement about a summary judgement ruling in their
favor from a Northern California District Court in their case vs. Hynix.
It would appear that by the start of trading on the East coast the stock
had jumped ~$3.50. Hmmm, how can that happen?

>The archives show how many *years* ahead some of us were with respect to the
>viability of Rambus technology as main memory...and not one thing has changed
>since...

It seemed to me that they were now making a pretty good go at hi-jacking
PCI Express??... but what do I know!

--
Rgds, George Macdonald

keith

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 10:26:36 -0500, daytripper wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 06:43:23 -0500, George Macdonald
> <fammacd=!SPAM^nothanks@tellurian.com> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 13:11:32 +0000, Mike Tomlinson
>><mike@NOSPAM.jasper.org.uk> wrote:
>>

>>>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/01/19/rambus_results_q4_04/
>>>
>>>Excerpt:
>>>
>>>"Rambus' income slid during Q4 FY2004, despite a double-figure jump in
>>>year-on-year revenue, the memory technology developer said last night.
>>>
>>>Net income for the three months to 31 December 2004 totalled $6.5m (six
>>>cents a share), down 24.4 per cent on the $8.6m (eight cents a share)
>>>the company reported this time last year and 37.5 per cent lower than
>>>the $10.4m (ten cents a share) it made in Q3 FY2004."
>>
>>You forgot to mention the bit about costs - yep, litigation *is*
>>expensive.:)
>>
>>Is this a hook? Let's see if you get any err, bites.:)
>
> Well, he already got a couple of nibbles ;-)
>
> So are RMBS victims Dumping or Pumping today?
>
> The archives show how many *years* ahead some of us were with respect to the
> viability of Rambus technology as main memory...and not one thing has changed
> since...

Maybe, but If I knew how good RMBS was going to be at P&D, I could be
rich. Screw technology!

--
Keith

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/01/19/rambus_results_q4_04/
>
> Excerpt:
>
> "Rambus' income slid during Q4 FY2004, despite a double-figure jump in
> year-on-year revenue, the memory technology developer said last night.
>
> Net income for the three months to 31 December 2004 totalled $6.5m (six
> cents a share), down 24.4 per cent on the $8.6m (eight cents a share)
> the company reported this time last year and 37.5 per cent lower than
> the $10.4m (ten cents a share) it made in Q3 FY2004."

Sounds like AMD this quarter, and AMD didn't have nearly as many
lawsuits going either. :)

Yousuf Khan

keith

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 20:07:19 -0500, Yousuf Khan wrote:

> Mike Tomlinson wrote:
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/01/19/rambus_results_q4_04/
>>
>> Excerpt:
>>
>> "Rambus' income slid during Q4 FY2004, despite a double-figure jump in
>> year-on-year revenue, the memory technology developer said last night.
>>
>> Net income for the three months to 31 December 2004 totalled $6.5m (six
>> cents a share), down 24.4 per cent on the $8.6m (eight cents a share)
>> the company reported this time last year and 37.5 per cent lower than
>> the $10.4m (ten cents a share) it made in Q3 FY2004."
>>

> Sounds like AMD this quarter, and AMD didn't have nearly as many
> lawsuits going either. :)

Do you believe Intel's numbers? There is something poney going on there.
There is some activity in shorts on Intel!

--
Keith

In article <9v5vu0trobhlb66gp59q1u7kk7tqana802@4ax.com>, George
Macdonald <fammacd=!SPAM^nothanks@tellurian.com> writes

>Is this a hook?

Moi? *whistles innocently*

> Let's see if you get any err, bites.:)

:) I thought it worth pointing out that a business "model" based on
suing the arse off the rest of the world based on the premise that
they're stolen your "intellectual property" has to be fundamentally
flawed. As the figures quoted show.

--
..sigmonster on vacation

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 16:48:44 +0000, Mike Tomlinson
<mike@NOSPAM.jasper.org.uk> wrote:

>In article <9v5vu0trobhlb66gp59q1u7kk7tqana802@4ax.com>, George
>Macdonald <fammacd=!SPAM^nothanks@tellurian.com> writes
>
>>Is this a hook?
>
>Moi? *whistles innocently*
>
>> Let's see if you get any err, bites.:)
>
>:) I thought it worth pointing out that a business "model" based on
>suing the arse off the rest of the world based on the premise that
>they're stolen your "intellectual property" has to be fundamentally
>flawed. As the figures quoted show.

No doubt... for the long term anyway, but a glance at the insider trading
records will show that the VCs and principals have been richly rewarded for
their uhh, efforts. If they and Mosaid keep going as they are, they risk
ending up with joint ownership of obsolete fabs as their final
payment(s)... post spin-offs of course.

Samsung just caved to Mosaid this past week - hard to make a contest when a
judge has ruled out challenges to the Mosaid's "expert evidence" on the
operation of products made by Samsung. What I'd really like to see is the
Mosaid-Rambus confrontation go to public trial and scrutiny.

--
Rgds, George Macdonald