Moto E815 v LG VX7000

Last response: in Network Providers
July 17, 2005 8:46:41 PM

I want to replace my less than satisfactory LG VX4600 with a new phone.
I have narrowed my choices down to the Moto E815 and the LG VX7000. I
really need a phone that holds a weak signal, foremost, and has good
audio and loud ringers. I don't need cameras, Bluetooth, or VCAST.
Which one of these would be better for me?

Ed

More about : moto e815 vx7000

Anonymous
July 18, 2005 1:42:54 AM

DonR. Wrote:
> The E815 has outstanding reception and sound quality. Digital only. It
> feels
> really big, though, but I guess that can be gotten used to.
> Seems much bigger in my hand than my V710 did.
>
> "NJ Analyst" <ednj2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >I want to replace my less than satisfactory LG VX4600 with a new
> phone.
> > I have narrowed my choices down to the Moto E815 and the LG VX7000.
> > really need a phone that holds a weak signal, foremost, and has good
> > audio and loud ringers. I don't need cameras, Bluetooth, or VCAST.
> > Which one of these would be better for me?
> >
> > Ed

I had to make the choice as well... my Motorola e815 gets 2 bars when
hubby's Samsung (trimode even) gets 'no service' (the perils of living
in the boonies).

The deciding factor was exactly that - Motorola's reputation on signal
strength - I did the research, went to my store, explained the
situation - the gentleman there held up the Moto and the LG to see what
happened? Moto=4 bars, LG=2 or 3.... he ordered an e815 for himself.

--
jeaniesing
July 18, 2005 5:44:19 AM

The E815 has outstanding reception and sound quality. Digital only. It feels
really big, though, but I guess that can be gotten used to.
Seems much bigger in my hand than my V710 did.

"NJ Analyst" <ednj2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I want to replace my less than satisfactory LG VX4600 with a new phone.
> I have narrowed my choices down to the Moto E815 and the LG VX7000. I
> really need a phone that holds a weak signal, foremost, and has good
> audio and loud ringers. I don't need cameras, Bluetooth, or VCAST.
> Which one of these would be better for me?
>
> Ed

Related resources
July 18, 2005 6:35:10 AM

DonR. sez...

> The E815 has outstanding reception
> and sound quality. Digital only. It feels
> really big, though...

How is the battery life?

I read that it is in the same league as my Samsung a610 (meaning the best
battery life of all competition).

I've had my a610 for over a year, just renewed for an additional 2 years
without upgrading my phone because my phone is THAT good and I get more
minutes from the new plan.

Does your E815 have an integrated calendar that can be set as an active
wallpaper - meaning that when you flip open the phone, you see your calendar
with appointments highlighted?

That's a feature that has me hooked on my a610 - plus it's intelligent voice
activated dialing is many times better than my previous Motorola V60i - no
comparison!
--
______________
=====fish=====

You're trying to compare apples and oranges..There is no regulated "bar
strength" formular, that is set that every cellphone manfacturer in the
world must follow, unlike the speedometer on your car, or the weight of a
pound or ounce.

Phone A might show 1 bar
Phone B might show 3 bars side by side

No way of judging which phone has better reception

"jeaniesing" <jeaniesing.1scgoz@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in message

> DonR. Wrote:
>> The E815 has outstanding reception and sound quality. Digital only. It
>> feels
>> really big, though, but I guess that can be gotten used to.
>> Seems much bigger in my hand than my V710 did.
>>
>> "NJ Analyst" <ednj2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> >I want to replace my less than satisfactory LG VX4600 with a new
>> phone.
>> > I have narrowed my choices down to the Moto E815 and the LG VX7000.
>> > really need a phone that holds a weak signal, foremost, and has good
>> > audio and loud ringers. I don't need cameras, Bluetooth, or VCAST.
>> > Which one of these would be better for me?
>> >
>> > Ed
>> >

> I had to make the choice as well... my Motorola e815 gets 2 bars when
> hubby's Samsung (trimode even) gets 'no service' (the perils of living
> in the boonies).
>
> The deciding factor was exactly that - Motorola's reputation on signal
> strength - I did the research, went to my store, explained the
> situation - the gentleman there held up the Moto and the LG to see what
> happened? Moto=4 bars, LG=2 or 3.... he ordered an e815 for himself.
>

> --
> jeaniesing

July 18, 2005 5:46:24 PM

In alt.cellular.verizon, fish <i.am.such.a.fish@atlantic.ocean> wrote:

> I've had my a610 for over a year, just renewed for an additional 2 years
> without upgrading my phone because my phone is THAT good and I get more
> minutes from the new plan.

NO! NO! NO! You just gave away big bucks!

Do this: Get the hottest new phone you can for free. You have a $100
credit to use, and often you can get a $50 rebate too.

VZW will make you activate it. But if you then call them the next day and
tell them you decided that you like your old phone better after all,
you're OK. They will switch you back. Or tell them that you broke the
new phone, or lost it, or whatever. It makes no difference to them.

Then sell your brand new, hot valuable phone on eBay for a couple of
hundred bucks or more.

--
Why don't presidents fight the war?
Why do they always send the poor?

-- System of a Down
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 1:09:58 AM

I have the E815 and love the independent voicedialing and the ability to
hold calls. Don't know if you're familier with the Philly/Atlantic City
area, but it held a call from Philly to AC without a drop, all 68 miles.
"NJ Analyst" <ednj2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I want to replace my less than satisfactory LG VX4600 with a new phone.
> I have narrowed my choices down to the Moto E815 and the LG VX7000. I
> really need a phone that holds a weak signal, foremost, and has good
> audio and loud ringers. I don't need cameras, Bluetooth, or VCAST.
> Which one of these would be better for me?
>
> Ed

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 5:24:49 AM

Battery life very good. Much better than most current offerings. No, you
cannot make your calendar the wallpaper. That is a Samsung strongpoint. But
as pointed out elsewhere, no analog.

"fish" <i.am.such.a.fish@atlantic.ocean> wrote in message
> DonR. sez...
>
>> The E815 has outstanding reception
>> and sound quality. Digital only. It feels
>> really big, though...
>
> How is the battery life?
>
> I read that it is in the same league as my Samsung a610 (meaning the best
> battery life of all competition).
>
> I've had my a610 for over a year, just renewed for an additional 2 years
> without upgrading my phone because my phone is THAT good and I get more
> minutes from the new plan.
>
> Does your E815 have an integrated calendar that can be set as an active
> wallpaper - meaning that when you flip open the phone, you see your
> calendar
> with appointments highlighted?
>
> That's a feature that has me hooked on my a610 - plus it's intelligent
> voice
> activated dialing is many times better than my previous Motorola V60i - no
> comparison!
> --
> ______________
> =====fish=====

July 19, 2005 5:29:36 AM

Ed Hudley sez...

> I have the E815 and if you're familier
> with the Philly/Atlantic City area, it
> held a call from Philly to AC without
> a drop, all 68 miles.

I live closer to NYC than AC (90 miles to NYC, about 100+ miles to AC), but
I will add that I have held a call from NYC to my small town, which is just
outside of Philly without a drop - in fact, I've had conversation going
through the Lincoln Tunnel with a strong signal on my Samsung a610.

--
______________
=====fish=====

"NJ Analyst" <ednj2002@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1121644001.159504.137960
@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> I want to replace my less than satisfactory LG VX4600 with a new phone.
> I have narrowed my choices down to the Moto E815 and the LG VX7000. I
> really need a phone that holds a weak signal, foremost, and has good
> audio and loud ringers. I don't need cameras, Bluetooth, or VCAST.
> Which one of these would be better for me?
>
> Ed

Get the Vx8000
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 6:54:59 PM

E815 = the best phone in Verizon lineup. Need I say more?

http://www.mobileisgood.com

"Cliff & Linda Miata" <pego101remove@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "NJ Analyst" <ednj2002@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1121644001.159504.137960
> @g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
>
> > I want to replace my less than satisfactory LG VX4600 with a new phone.
> > I have narrowed my choices down to the Moto E815 and the LG VX7000. I
> > really need a phone that holds a weak signal, foremost, and has good
> > audio and loud ringers. I don't need cameras, Bluetooth, or VCAST.
> > Which one of these would be better for me?
> >
> > Ed
> >

> Get the Vx8000
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 1:24:00 PM

DonR. wrote:
> The E815 has outstanding reception and sound quality. Digital only. It feels
> really big, though, but I guess that can be gotten used to.
> Seems much bigger in my hand than my V710 did.

The standard battery for the 815 is 50% larger capacity than the one for
the 710; that could be a big part of the heftiness.
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 12:25:40 AM

HELP!! I am racking my brain here...trying to figure out which phone to
get. A Razr V3 (black) or an E815....Can anybody out there help me make
up my mind...I am very tempted to try the Razr V3 Black only because if
I don't like it, I have 30 days to return it and walk away from the
whole deal....E815 on the other hand, Verizon, I only get 15 days to
try it....What phone is better. I do love the look of the razr...but I
have also read some negative reviews on the razr, and also some
negative on the E815 too. HELP....PLEASE!!!!! I will make my decision
by your comments.....Thank You in advance.....
John ( JOldridgeJr@aol.com )

--
JOldridgeJr
August 18, 2005 5:01:54 AM

B. Dog wrote:
> I second that. I love my 815.

Agreed here. Have an E815 and love it.

And FWIW, I have never heard ANYONE have anything good to say about LG
phones, no matter the wireless carrier.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
August 18, 2005 5:27:13 AM

JOldridgeJr wrote:
> HELP!! I am racking my brain here...trying to figure out which phone to
> get. A Razr V3 (black) or an E815....Can anybody out there help me make
> up my mind...I am very tempted to try the Razr V3 Black only because if
> I don't like it, I have 30 days to return it and walk away from the
> whole deal....E815 on the other hand, Verizon, I only get 15 days to
> try it....What phone is better. I do love the look of the razr...but I
> have also read some negative reviews on the razr, and also some
> negative on the E815 too. HELP....PLEASE!!!!! I will make my decision
> by your comments.....Thank You in advance.....

First, calm down. They're just phones. :)

The motorl a RAZR is a good phone, I tried it for a while. It is
surprisingly sturdy, very small and light, and does an admirable job of
pulling in weak signals.

The phone has its drawbacks though. The first is that it only does
GPRS, which is basically dialup-speed data, and does not do EDGE (which
is relatively high speed data, though Verizon's EV-DO is still faster).
Second, if you want a headset, you are FORCED to buy a bluetooth
headset. Every other bluetooth phone I've seen also supports a
traditional plug in headset, and there are certainly reasons why someone
would pick a standard headset over bluetooth (price being one factor,
the other is that bluetooth headsets can sometimes "crackle" annoyingly
in the presence of WiFi hotspots). You have no choice on the matter
with the RAZR. Most importantly, the RAZR smudges SOOO easily. The
thing is a magnet for fingerprints and face gunk, and is a pain to keep
it looking clean. I'm fastidious about these things, so that annoyed me
greatly and I routinely went through great pains to clean the phone and
keep it spotless.

The E815 pretty much solves all of the RAZRs shortcomings, BUT, it
obviously doesn't have the small size and "cool" factor going for it.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
August 18, 2005 7:41:57 AM

Isaiah Beard wrote:

> I have never heard ANYONE have anything good to say about LG
> phones, no matter the wireless carrier.

Actually, a couple years ago (2002 or 2003) Consumer Reports did rate
the LG VX1 as the best current phone (as far as audio clarity,
reception, etc. go) from VZW at that time. That prompted me to get an
LG VX10 (they no longer carried the VX1 by the time I signed up), which
I have had for a couple years now. It was an "OK" phone, maybe the VX1
was better.. who knows... but like you, I've got an E815 now and find
it to be AMAZING with signal reception and voice clarity. I wouldn't
trade it for anything.
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 3:39:09 PM

First the performance is more dependant on the service provider. NOw I
recently had an opportunity to use a Razr in europe (Germany) with T-Mobile.
The phone was a borrowed unlocked Cingular unit from the US. I must say I
was amazed at how much better the European GSM system is than our POS CDMA
system by comparison. The Razr sounded crystal clear there. Like it was a
landline. I also just bought 3 710's for VZW and was unhappy with mine so
traded it for an 815. What a difference! The 815 comes very close to the
Razr's performance in Germany. It's very quiet and clear. Great screen
(better than the razr) very good ergonomics (again better than the razr)
better outside screen too. No "cool" factor though. Everywhere I went in
Europe people oohed and ahhed that Razr. I don't think the 815 would garner
that. But than I don't GAS about "cool" I want performance. The 815
PERFORMS.
Larry
"JOldridgeJr" <JOldridgeJr.1txrvy@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in
message news:JOldridgeJr.1txrvy@nospam.cellphoneforums.net...

> HELP!! I am racking my brain here...trying to figure out which phone to
> get. A Razr V3 (black) or an E815....Can anybody out there help me make
> up my mind...I am very tempted to try the Razr V3 Black only because if
> I don't like it, I have 30 days to return it and walk away from the
> whole deal....E815 on the other hand, Verizon, I only get 15 days to
> try it....What phone is better. I do love the look of the razr...but I
> have also read some negative reviews on the razr, and also some
> negative on the E815 too. HELP....PLEASE!!!!! I will make my decision
> by your comments.....Thank You in advance.....
> John ( JOldridgeJr@aol.com )
>

> --
> JOldridgeJr

August 19, 2005 8:59:08 AM

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 01:01:54 -0400, Isaiah Beard
<sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> chose to add this to the great equation of
life, the universe, and everything:

>B. Dog wrote:
>> I second that. I love my 815.
>
>Agreed here. Have an E815 and love it.
>
>And FWIW, I have never heard ANYONE have anything good to say about LG
>phones, no matter the wireless carrier.

On the contrary, many people, myself included, have sung the praises of the
VX4400. No camera, tri-mode, solid RF performance (I can't say how it
compares to the E815, of course...).

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"You took a yellow Red before a white American, which is pretty pinko."
- Col. Flagg
"You're even boring in Technicolor." - Hawkeye
!