mystery memory id?

I have some memory here that I can't find the manufacturers of,
neither the three modules nor the chips. Tried googling all manner of
ways but only two sites with next to zero info came up when googling
AE39S6404.
The label says:

GET 512MSD PC133 03181
ORIGINAL RAM AE39S6404 0307

It is low profile desktop (not laptop) sdram.
The chips are VERY thin (8 each side) and have a chrome finish.
The numbers on the chips are :

Top number varies (probably batch numbers) but the bottom number is:
JPNS2584

If any sleuths out there fancy a challenge, here it is!

Regards, Mark

btw, they won't even boot or register on any of my PCs or I would have
1.5gigs! I wonder if there's any way I can get any lifesigns out of
them at all.....

Thanks for trying, they are probably for macs. I would imagine they
should work on PCs too. I wonder what voltage they are though? I also
wonder if they are ECC (probably not?).
I am tempted to try to revive them with some microsurgery. Apart from
the memory chips there are some smt resistors , tiny decoupling
capacitors and a small chip. Since I know little of memory cards, I
would imagine it's some kind of buffer/driver for the clock (pn: 3402w
by ST)? If it's only that extra chip that needs replacing, it's worth a
try for 1.5 gigsworth of memory. It seems completely dead in my pcs,
maybe because the clock driver doesn't work, rather than the chips
being dead.
mark

On 20 Jan 2005 15:22:53 -0800, markzoom@digiverse.net (markzoom) wrote:

>I have some memory here that I can't find the manufacturers of,
>neither the three modules nor the chips. Tried googling all manner of
>ways but only two sites with next to zero info came up when googling
>AE39S6404.
>The label says:
>
>GET 512MSD PC133 03181
> ORIGINAL RAM AE39S6404 0307
>
>It is low profile desktop (not laptop) sdram.
>The chips are VERY thin (8 each side) and have a chrome finish.
>The numbers on the chips are :
>
>Top number varies (probably batch numbers) but the bottom number is:
>JPNS2584
>
>If any sleuths out there fancy a challenge, here it is!
>
>Regards, Mark
>
>btw, they won't even boot or register on any of my PCs or I would have
>1.5gigs! I wonder if there's any way I can get any lifesigns out of
>them at all.....

The cached links for the two Google hits seem to indicate it's a 512MB
PC-133 SDRAM for a Mac - no idea which one it might be not how it might
differ from PC standards.

--
Rgds, George Macdonald

Aha, thanks!
I didn't know that module info was on every ram module in separate
rom. The data sheets you linked were very useful, particulary the "use
within a dimm" bit.
I don't know if the particular mac it probably came from needs
proprietary spd, I gather mac memory is normally usable in PCs.

I think I have to give up on this ram, unless I can find out the
required data and can use my pic programmer on new serial rom. Still
don't know what the dram is either. I gather Macs are very particular
about their ram and don't know any technically proficient mac user
(arty d'signer types) to try it. Pity really because it's the coolest
memory I've seen with it's silver chips. Maybe it's Borg.
Mark K.

On 21 Jan 2005 17:03:31 -0800, markzoom@digiverse.net put finger to
keyboard and composed:

>Thanks for trying, they are probably for macs. I would imagine they
>should work on PCs too. I wonder what voltage they are though? I also
>wonder if they are ECC (probably not?).
>I am tempted to try to revive them with some microsurgery. Apart from
>the memory chips there are some smt resistors , tiny decoupling
>capacitors and a small chip. Since I know little of memory cards, I
>would imagine it's some kind of buffer/driver for the clock (pn: 3402w
>by ST)? If it's only that extra chip that needs replacing, it's worth a
>try for 1.5 gigsworth of memory. It seems completely dead in my pcs,
>maybe because the clock driver doesn't work, rather than the chips
>being dead.
>mark

That "3402" chip is a 2Kbit serial EEPROM used for SPD (serial
presence detect):
http://www.st.com/stonline/books/pdf/docs/5211.pdf
http://www.rohm.com/products/databook/memory/pdf/br34l02fv.pdf

Perhaps Mac DIMMs use a different SPD spec???

- Franc Zabkar