ok, how does this system look?

All prices in Canadian. total: $1124. Gaming. Bang for the buck.
Hoping for cool and quiet.

Mobo:
11851 GA-K8NXP-SLI GA-K8NXP-SLI nVidia nForce4-SLI S939/800
Dual-DDR400 PCX-x16-SLI 2xGLAN SATA-II-RAID IEEE1394b 7.1 Audio
$235.00 atic -need to order

CPU
Athlon64 3000+ S939 512K Athlon64 3000+ (1.8GHz) S939 512K 800FSB HS &
FAN $185.00CD atic. winchester
dual channel

RAM
12217 VS512MB400x2 1GB PC3200 Memory Kit (2x512) 1024MB (2x512MB)
PC3200 DDR400 CAS 2.5 Memory Kit $200.00 atic

Video Card
N368 6600GT 128M PCX eVGA 6600GT 128M DDR TV-o, DVi-i PCI-Express
$240.00CD atic, in stock.

Burner:
NEC 3520A Dual 16x DVD±RW, DL: 6x DVD±R NEC ND3520A Dual 16x8x16x
DVD±RW, Dual-Layer for DVD±R 6x 2M oem Beige $78.00 instock at atic
ND-3520A

HD:
Seagate 80GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive ST380817AS $88 atic in stock.

case:
SLK3700BQE BK 19" ATX 19" ATX 10bay 7slot BLACK ATX 350W PS FRONT
USB2.0 Quiet 120MM-FAN $98 in stock at atic

Questions:
1) does anything look screwed up? Too much motherboard for the rest
of it?

2)I will overclock and may add and additional video card later. Will
the 350W power supply be enough?

3)Any other suggestions for changes or anything at all?

4)How does this look for bang-for-the-buck?

5)Any good retailers in Lower Mainland of BC Canada to buy computers
at other than NCIX and ATIC?

thanks
Eric
14 answers Last reply
More about system look

    On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 22:16:13 GMT, Eric <1@1.com> wrote:

    >All prices in Canadian. total: $1124. Gaming. Bang for the buck.
    >Hoping for cool and quiet.
    >
    >Mobo:
    >11851 GA-K8NXP-SLI GA-K8NXP-SLI nVidia nForce4-SLI S939/800
    >Dual-DDR400 PCX-x16-SLI 2xGLAN SATA-II-RAID IEEE1394b 7.1 Audio
    >$235.00 atic -need to order
    >
    >CPU
    >Athlon64 3000+ S939 512K Athlon64 3000+ (1.8GHz) S939 512K 800FSB HS &
    >FAN $185.00CD atic. winchester
    >dual channel
    >
    >RAM
    >12217 VS512MB400x2 1GB PC3200 Memory Kit (2x512) 1024MB (2x512MB)
    >PC3200 DDR400 CAS 2.5 Memory Kit $200.00 atic
    >
    >Video Card
    >N368 6600GT 128M PCX eVGA 6600GT 128M DDR TV-o, DVi-i PCI-Express
    >$240.00CD atic, in stock.
    >
    >Burner:
    >NEC 3520A Dual 16x DVD±RW, DL: 6x DVD±R NEC ND3520A Dual 16x8x16x
    >DVD±RW, Dual-Layer for DVD±R 6x 2M oem Beige $78.00 instock at atic
    >ND-3520A
    >
    >HD:
    >Seagate 80GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive ST380817AS $88 atic in stock.
    >
    >case:
    >SLK3700BQE BK 19" ATX 19" ATX 10bay 7slot BLACK ATX 350W PS FRONT
    >USB2.0 Quiet 120MM-FAN $98 in stock at atic
    >
    >Questions:
    >1) does anything look screwed up? Too much motherboard for the rest
    >of it?

    If you ask me, yes. Really you're spending a LOT of extra money to
    get SLI capabilities which, IMO, probably aren't going to be at all
    worthwhile. Spending $100 less on the motherboard for a standard,
    non-SLI nForce4 board, would allow you to go at least one step higher
    on the processor or alternatively it's about half of what you need to
    go up to a GeForce 6800GT card on the video front.

    Remember that a single GeForce 6800GT card is usually faster than 2
    6600GT cards in SLI mode, and it's likely that for the same will be
    true for the next generation of cards as well.

    >2)I will overclock and may add and additional video card later. Will
    >the 350W power supply be enough?

    If you do decide for 2 video cards than you might be a bit light on
    the power supply side. Each of those cards and you're processor are
    going to be consuming up close to 100W as far as the PS is concerned
    (ie taking into account some inefficiencies throughout). That's not
    leaving much room for everything else in the system.

    >3)Any other suggestions for changes or anything at all?

    You may or may not find that the integrated sound is up to par for
    gaming. This is something that you can always test out first with the
    integrated sound and then upgrade later if you so decide, but it is
    something to keep in mind.

    >4)How does this look for bang-for-the-buck?

    Pretty good.

    >5)Any good retailers in Lower Mainland of BC Canada to buy computers
    >at other than NCIX and ATIC?

    I buy from NCIX pretty much exclusively, and I'm way over in Ottawa.
    They've done good by me..

    -------------
    Tony Hill

    On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 22:16:13 GMT, Eric <1@1.com> wrote:

    >All prices in Canadian. total: $1124. Gaming. Bang for the buck.
    >Hoping for cool and quiet.
    >
    >Mobo:
    >11851 GA-K8NXP-SLI GA-K8NXP-SLI nVidia nForce4-SLI S939/800
    >Dual-DDR400 PCX-x16-SLI 2xGLAN SATA-II-RAID IEEE1394b 7.1 Audio
    >$235.00 atic -need to order
    >
    >CPU
    >Athlon64 3000+ S939 512K Athlon64 3000+ (1.8GHz) S939 512K 800FSB HS &
    >FAN $185.00CD atic. winchester
    >dual channel
    >
    >RAM
    >12217 VS512MB400x2 1GB PC3200 Memory Kit (2x512) 1024MB (2x512MB)
    >PC3200 DDR400 CAS 2.5 Memory Kit $200.00 atic
    >
    >Video Card
    >N368 6600GT 128M PCX eVGA 6600GT 128M DDR TV-o, DVi-i PCI-Express
    >$240.00CD atic, in stock.
    >
    >Burner:
    >NEC 3520A Dual 16x DVD±RW, DL: 6x DVD±R NEC ND3520A Dual 16x8x16x
    >DVD±RW, Dual-Layer for DVD±R 6x 2M oem Beige $78.00 instock at atic
    >ND-3520A
    >
    >HD:
    >Seagate 80GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive ST380817AS $88 atic in stock.
    >
    >case:
    >SLK3700BQE BK 19" ATX 19" ATX 10bay 7slot BLACK ATX 350W PS FRONT
    >USB2.0 Quiet 120MM-FAN $98 in stock at atic
    >
    >Questions:
    >1) does anything look screwed up? Too much motherboard for the rest
    >of it?

    Yes a bit too much mbrd compared with the rest - basically why go SLI on
    the mbrd for a mid-range video card... but especially mismatch on power
    supply.

    >2)I will overclock and may add and additional video card later. Will
    >the 350W power supply be enough?

    For a PCI Express video card of that power you should really be looking at
    a dual rail ATX12V 2.0 power supply with a 24-pin main ATX connector, since
    your mbrd (any PCI Express mbdr) will have that 24-pin connector. You
    might be able to get by with the Antec Truepower 380 P/S and a 20-24 pin
    adaptor but I'd prefer to do it "right". Don't even think about overclock
    and/or dual video without the right P/S. Check out the spec for ATX12V
    2.01 at www.formfactors.org ... and good luck finding someone who makes
    one.:-P

    >3)Any other suggestions for changes or anything at all?
    >
    >4)How does this look for bang-for-the-buck?

    Looks good but shuffle some cash around a bit or spend more.

    Not clear who makes the RAM you have there -- VS512MB400x2(?) -- but I'd
    recommend getting the Crucial 512MB DIMMs with only eight chips per module.

    --
    Rgds, George Macdonald

    ok, how about changes as follows...

    mobo:
    GA-K8NF-9 GA-K8NF-9 nVidia nForce4-4X S939/800 Dual-DDR400 PCX-x16
    GLAN SATA-RAID IEEE1394b 7.1 Audio $145.00

    1) Disregard adding a second video card.

    Is the power from the case ok now do you think? Will I be able to oc?
    Also, are the connectors matched right?

    Should I go for this case instead?
    SONATA Sonata Antec Sonata 18" ATX Tower w/ TruePower 380W Power
    Supply (Black) $120.00 in stock

    FYI:
    1) All prices were before tax.
    2) Shipping is not an issue as I will pick it up from retailer.
    3) Ram listed is made by Corsair.

    Also, should I switch to this hard drive? another seagate-can't really
    afford the Raptor...
    $107.00 Seagate 120G 8M SATA 7200 Seagate 120G 8M SATA150 7200rpm
    IDE 3.5" on sale.

    thanks from much for all your help
    Eric

    On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 00:40:50 GMT, Eric <1@1.com> wrote:

    >ok, how about changes as follows...
    >
    >mobo:
    >GA-K8NF-9 GA-K8NF-9 nVidia nForce4-4X S939/800 Dual-DDR400 PCX-x16
    >GLAN SATA-RAID IEEE1394b 7.1 Audio $145.00

    I don't know about current Gigabyte mbrds, though I saw some complaint
    about the DIMM slots being awful close together. I have grudge against
    them dating back many years and won't touch them.<shrug>

    >1) Disregard adding a second video card.
    >
    >Is the power from the case ok now do you think? Will I be able to oc?
    >Also, are the connectors matched right?
    >
    >Should I go for this case instead?
    >SONATA Sonata Antec Sonata 18" ATX Tower w/ TruePower 380W Power
    >Supply (Black) $120.00 in stock

    That'd be better and it's what I have for my nForce3 (MSI Neo2 Platinum)
    Athlon64 3500+ system - it's quite quiet and the Truepower 380S goes up to
    24amp on the +12V but check that since it was 18amp until last Fall... you
    don't want old stock with the lower output. Obviously it has a 20-pin main
    ATX connector, which *can* be plugged into the 24-pin socket on the mbrd
    but you might be better at least putting a 20 -> 24-pin adapter on it. To
    tell the truth I'm not sure what the deal is there: whether the extra 12V
    pins go to a separate power plane on the PCI Express mbrd, or if it's just
    to reduce current going through the connector pins and solder joints...
    anybody know??

    >FYI:
    >1) All prices were before tax.
    >2) Shipping is not an issue as I will pick it up from retailer.
    >3) Ram listed is made by Corsair.

    Some have had the Corsair Value Select RAM work OK with an Athlon64; others
    have had trouble. With the 8-chip Crucial modules I suggested, you only
    have a single rank per channel which allows safer and possibly faster
    operation -- that's what I have and it runs 3-3-3-8-1T -- and allows an
    upgrade without lowering the DRAM clock from DDR400.

    >Also, should I switch to this hard drive? another seagate-can't really
    >afford the Raptor...
    >$107.00 Seagate 120G 8M SATA 7200 Seagate 120G 8M SATA150 7200rpm
    >IDE 3.5" on sale.

    I like the Seagate drives - quiet is worth something to me and they were in
    the fore with FDB and quieter head movement. If the extra $$ doesn't hurt
    you too much, extra disk space is always nice to have; performance-wise I
    don't think there's any difference between the two drives.

    --
    Rgds, George Macdonald

    In article <3a6kv0die7b94lnlpv3o8103s3rgv43m1n@4ax.com>, fammacd=!
    SPAM^nothanks@tellurian.com says...
    > On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 00:40:50 GMT, Eric <1@1.com> wrote:
    >
    > >ok, how about changes as follows...
    > >
    > >mobo:
    > >GA-K8NF-9 GA-K8NF-9 nVidia nForce4-4X S939/800 Dual-DDR400 PCX-x16
    > >GLAN SATA-RAID IEEE1394b 7.1 Audio $145.00
    >
    > I don't know about current Gigabyte mbrds, though I saw some complaint
    > about the DIMM slots being awful close together. I have grudge against
    > them dating back many years and won't touch them.<shrug>

    Seconded.<shrug>

    > >1) Disregard adding a second video card.
    > >
    > >Is the power from the case ok now do you think? Will I be able to oc?
    > >Also, are the connectors matched right?
    > >
    > >Should I go for this case instead?
    > >SONATA Sonata Antec Sonata 18" ATX Tower w/ TruePower 380W Power
    > >Supply (Black) $120.00 in stock
    >
    > That'd be better and it's what I have for my nForce3 (MSI Neo2 Platinum)
    > Athlon64 3500+ system - it's quite quiet and the Truepower 380S goes up to
    > 24amp on the +12V but check that since it was 18amp until last Fall... you
    > don't want old stock with the lower output.

    $120 is a tad high though. NewEgg has them for $99. Even with S&H
    it's $115.

    > Obviously it has a 20-pin main
    > ATX connector, which *can* be plugged into the 24-pin socket on the mbrd
    > but you might be better at least putting a 20 -> 24-pin adapter on it.

    Why? All you're accomplishing here is to add connectors in series and
    more wire. The impedance of the supply goes up slightly and gains
    nothing I can see.

    > tell the truth I'm not sure what the deal is there: whether the extra 12V
    > pins go to a separate power plane on the PCI Express mbrd, or if it's just
    > to reduce current going through the connector pins and solder joints...
    > anybody know??

    If there are more wires coming from the supply, 24 pins is a gain. If
    you're putting an adapter in series with the connector, I don't see any
    gain. I'm willing to listen to an authoritative reason though.

    <snip>

    > >Also, should I switch to this hard drive? another seagate-can't really
    > >afford the Raptor...
    > >$107.00 Seagate 120G 8M SATA 7200 Seagate 120G 8M SATA150 7200rpm
    > >IDE 3.5" on sale.
    >
    > I like the Seagate drives - quiet is worth something to me and they were in
    > the fore with FDB and quieter head movement. If the extra $$ doesn't hurt
    > you too much, extra disk space is always nice to have; performance-wise I
    > don't think there's any difference between the two drives.

    I kinda like Seagates too, but Staples has pATA 160GB Maxtors on sale
    for $70, so were I going to buy today (I'm *thinking*, ok?) I think I'd
    go that way (<50 nanocentabytes is pretty impressive). I have a 160GB
    Seagate SATA drive that's just generating heat :-(, but at least it's
    doing it quietly. ;-)

    --
    Keith

    On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 09:21:14 -0500, Keith R. Williams <krw@att.bizzzz>
    wrote:

    >In article <3a6kv0die7b94lnlpv3o8103s3rgv43m1n@4ax.com>, fammacd=!
    >SPAM^nothanks@tellurian.com says...

    >> >Should I go for this case instead?
    >> >SONATA Sonata Antec Sonata 18" ATX Tower w/ TruePower 380W Power
    >> >Supply (Black) $120.00 in stock
    >>
    >> That'd be better and it's what I have for my nForce3 (MSI Neo2 Platinum)
    >> Athlon64 3500+ system - it's quite quiet and the Truepower 380S goes up to
    >> 24amp on the +12V but check that since it was 18amp until last Fall... you
    >> don't want old stock with the lower output.
    >
    >$120 is a tad high though. NewEgg has them for $99. Even with S&H
    >it's $115.

    This is Canucki-bills though.:-)

    >> Obviously it has a 20-pin main
    >> ATX connector, which *can* be plugged into the 24-pin socket on the mbrd
    >> but you might be better at least putting a 20 -> 24-pin adapter on it.
    >
    >Why? All you're accomplishing here is to add connectors in series and
    >more wire. The impedance of the supply goes up slightly and gains
    >nothing I can see.

    Well that's what I thought after I posted - it just moves the worst case
    connector up the wire a few inches but see below....

    >> tell the truth I'm not sure what the deal is there: whether the extra 12V
    >> pins go to a separate power plane on the PCI Express mbrd, or if it's just
    >> to reduce current going through the connector pins and solder joints...
    >> anybody know??
    >
    >If there are more wires coming from the supply, 24 pins is a gain. If
    >you're putting an adapter in series with the connector, I don't see any
    >gain. I'm willing to listen to an authoritative reason though.

    The question I have is: are both +12V pins on the 24-pin ATX connector just
    connected to the one +12V plane on the mbrd?... or are there separate +12V
    planes?... which are weakly interconnected? If there aren't separate
    planes, why do we need four new pins (+12V, +5V, +3.3V and COM) rather than
    just dumping more current through the old 20 pins?... future-proof? OTOH,
    if there are separate planes, then the 20-24 pin adapter is useful - no?

    The extra pins for 24 are said to be for the PCI Express reqts - note that
    PCI Express video cards don't have a drive power connector like recent AGP
    cards. I guess the bottom line is, if you want to be picky, get a power
    supply with a 24-pin connector, which kinda restricts choice of case right
    now... unless you want to swallow the cost of two power supplies. The
    case/PS suppliers are dragging a bit on this - here's what Antec has to
    say: http://www.antec.com/pdf/article/ATX12v2.html but Intel is talking
    about a lowish end mbrd there. It's all a bit confusing/frustrating.

    >> >Also, should I switch to this hard drive? another seagate-can't really
    >> >afford the Raptor...
    >> >$107.00 Seagate 120G 8M SATA 7200 Seagate 120G 8M SATA150 7200rpm
    >> >IDE 3.5" on sale.
    >>
    >> I like the Seagate drives - quiet is worth something to me and they were in
    >> the fore with FDB and quieter head movement. If the extra $$ doesn't hurt
    >> you too much, extra disk space is always nice to have; performance-wise I
    >> don't think there's any difference between the two drives.
    >
    >I kinda like Seagates too, but Staples has pATA 160GB Maxtors on sale
    >for $70, so were I going to buy today (I'm *thinking*, ok?) I think I'd
    >go that way (<50 nanocentabytes is pretty impressive). I have a 160GB
    >Seagate SATA drive that's just generating heat :-(, but at least it's
    >doing it quietly. ;-)

    Maxtor pissed me off on the last one I got... in a rush at CompUSA. Their
    diags wouldn't work with the nForce2 controller and a year after an update
    had been promised it was still showing as "available soon". The bloody
    drive went belly up about that time... after signalling occasional ATAPI
    errors in the System log for a while. Of course when I put it in a system
    where the diags worked... no errors to correct! Yeah, I know you can get
    a lemon from any mfr but on top of all that, they would not issue an RMA
    over e-mail - insisted I join the telephone queue.

    --
    Rgds, George Macdonald

    On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 00:40:50 GMT, Eric <1@1.com> wrote:

    >ok, how about changes as follows...
    >
    >mobo:
    >GA-K8NF-9 GA-K8NF-9 nVidia nForce4-4X S939/800 Dual-DDR400 PCX-x16
    >GLAN SATA-RAID IEEE1394b 7.1 Audio $145.00

    Seems decent.

    >1) Disregard adding a second video card.

    Probably a wise choice IMO. The 6600GT should be plenty for even
    uber-gamers for at least a year or so, and by that time you'll
    probably be better off buying a while new video card rather than
    trying to hang a second on off this one.

    >Is the power from the case ok now do you think? Will I be able to oc?

    Power should be ok. I don't know about overclocking, but it should be
    fine.

    >Also, are the connectors matched right?

    I don't really know what the deal is with the connectors these days.
    Gigabyte only specifies a standard 12V ATX power supply (20-pin main
    connector plus an extra 4-pin connector... all current power supplies
    should be fine in this regard). At least that's the best I can tell.

    I don't know that anyone is actually using the 24-pin ATX connectors
    that George and Keith were talking about, despite the fact that some
    spec says they need to be used. It's all rather confusing.

    >Should I go for this case instead?
    >SONATA Sonata Antec Sonata 18" ATX Tower w/ TruePower 380W Power
    >Supply (Black) $120.00 in stock

    The Sonata is a better case, and from what I understand the biggest
    difference is that it's supposed to be quite a bit quieter than the
    case/power supply you've selected. If I were buying the system, I
    would go for the Sonata just for the lower noise factor if nothing
    else.

    >FYI:
    >1) All prices were before tax.
    >2) Shipping is not an issue as I will pick it up from retailer.
    >3) Ram listed is made by Corsair.

    Ram should be fine, Corsair makes decent stuff. I don't think
    Gigabyte has a list of supported memory for their boards, but the
    Corsair Value Select stuff usually makes the list for other Athlon64
    boards.

    >Also, should I switch to this hard drive? another seagate-can't really
    >afford the Raptor...
    >$107.00 Seagate 120G 8M SATA 7200 Seagate 120G 8M SATA150 7200rpm
    >IDE 3.5" on sale.

    Uhh, depends on whether or not you need the extra space! I think the
    other drive is also an 8MB cache drive and they're from the same
    family of drives, so performance should be identical. Basically it
    just comes down to a question of whether or not you think 80GB will be
    enough drive space or if you would prefer 120GB.

    -------------
    Tony Hill

    The deed is done but problems ensue...

    Purchased:
    CHAINTECH NVIDIA **nForce4** Ultra Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket
    939 CPU, Model "VNF4/Ultra"

    Athlon64 3000+ S939 512K Athlon64 3000+ (1.8GHz) S939 512K 800FSB HS &
    FAN winchester dual channel

    Corair12217 VS512MB400x2 1GB PC3200 Memory Kit (2x512) 1024MB
    (2x512MB) PC3200 DDR400 CAS 2.5 Memory Kit

    N368 6600GT 128M PCX eVGA 6600GT 128M DDR TV-o, DVi-i PCI-Express

    Burner:
    NEC 3520A Dual 16x DVD±RW, DL: 6x DVD±R NEC ND3520A Dual 16x8x16x
    DVD±RW, Dual-Layer for DVD±R 6x 2M oem Beige $78.00 instock at atic
    ND-3520A

    HD:
    $107.00 Seagate 120G 8M SATA 7200 Seagate 120G 8M SATA150 7200rpm
    IDE 3.5" on sale. atic in stock.

    case:
    SONATA Sonata Antec Sonata 18" ATX Tower w/ TruePower 380W Power
    Supply (Black) $120.00 in stock atic.ca

    Problem:
    Power supply has indeed a 20pin main power connector while the Mobo
    has a 24 pin slot. Hoping it would work anyway I have plugged the
    20pin into the middle of the 24pin slot.

    Power supply has 3 Mobo power cables, 20pin, 4pin and 6(not pin-more
    like slot). Mobo only has the slots for the main power and the 4pin,
    not the 6slot. Maybe it's not necessary.

    Everything is plugged in securely. Power switch at back of case is
    set to "on". I plug in power cable to back of case and the case and
    power supply fan come on but all else is quiet. No cpu fan activity.
    No floppy drive seek. No hard drive spin. Nothing. I pressed both
    the buttons at the front of the case and for some duration, nothing.

    Any ideas?
    Eric

    PS-I did go right throught the mobo and case manuals as I went along.

    Eric

    On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 06:32:12 GMT, Eric <1@1.com> wrote:

    >The deed is done but problems ensue...
    >
    >Purchased:
    >CHAINTECH NVIDIA **nForce4** Ultra Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket
    >939 CPU, Model "VNF4/Ultra"
    >
    >Athlon64 3000+ S939 512K Athlon64 3000+ (1.8GHz) S939 512K 800FSB HS &
    >FAN winchester dual channel
    >
    >Corair12217 VS512MB400x2 1GB PC3200 Memory Kit (2x512) 1024MB
    >(2x512MB) PC3200 DDR400 CAS 2.5 Memory Kit
    >
    >N368 6600GT 128M PCX eVGA 6600GT 128M DDR TV-o, DVi-i PCI-Express
    >
    >Burner:
    >NEC 3520A Dual 16x DVD±RW, DL: 6x DVD±R NEC ND3520A Dual 16x8x16x
    >DVD±RW, Dual-Layer for DVD±R 6x 2M oem Beige $78.00 instock at atic
    >ND-3520A
    >
    >HD:
    >$107.00 Seagate 120G 8M SATA 7200 Seagate 120G 8M SATA150 7200rpm
    >IDE 3.5" on sale. atic in stock.
    >
    >case:
    >SONATA Sonata Antec Sonata 18" ATX Tower w/ TruePower 380W Power
    >Supply (Black) $120.00 in stock atic.ca
    >
    >Problem:
    >Power supply has indeed a 20pin main power connector while the Mobo
    >has a 24 pin slot. Hoping it would work anyway I have plugged the
    >20pin into the middle of the 24pin slot.

    NO, not the middle - the 20-pin connector goes into the socket leaving 4
    positions on the mbrd connector at *one* end empty. Look at the pic here:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=13-128-268-01.jpg/13-128-268-02.jpg/13-128-268-03.jpg/13-128-268-04.jpg&CurImage=13-128-268-02.jpg
    which shows the Gigabyte mbrd with what looks like a plug in those "spare"
    4 positions - pin-1 of the 20-pin connection is still pin-1 in the 24-pin
    arrangement. The connector socket and the P/S wire's plug are keyed so
    you're not supposed to be able to do things wrong here... though I admit
    I've no experience.

    >Power supply has 3 Mobo power cables, 20pin, 4pin and 6(not pin-more
    >like slot). Mobo only has the slots for the main power and the 4pin,
    >not the 6slot. Maybe it's not necessary.
    >
    >Everything is plugged in securely. Power switch at back of case is
    >set to "on". I plug in power cable to back of case and the case and
    >power supply fan come on but all else is quiet. No cpu fan activity.
    >No floppy drive seek. No hard drive spin. Nothing. I pressed both
    >the buttons at the front of the case and for some duration, nothing.

    Jeez I hope nothing got damaged by plugging the ATX power connector in
    wrong... probably not since the mbrd power-on pin is hopefully not being
    triggered since it's connected to constant ground, though the +5VSB is
    connected to the new +12V1 with the connector in the middle.

    --
    Rgds, George Macdonald

    George, you Rock!

    Now I'm off to an Anandtech overclocking thread where a guy has exact
    same chip and board and I think he got to 2.5 with standard
    cooling-from 1.8. I'll prob just go to 2.2 tho.

    thanks buddy
    Eric

    On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 07:49:13 -0500, George Macdonald
    <fammacd=!SPAM^nothanks@tellurian.com> wrote:

    >On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 06:32:12 GMT, Eric <1@1.com> wrote:
    >
    >>The deed is done but problems ensue...
    >>
    >>Purchased:
    >>CHAINTECH NVIDIA **nForce4** Ultra Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket
    >>939 CPU, Model "VNF4/Ultra"
    >>
    >>Athlon64 3000+ S939 512K Athlon64 3000+ (1.8GHz) S939 512K 800FSB HS &
    >>FAN winchester dual channel
    >>
    >>Corair12217 VS512MB400x2 1GB PC3200 Memory Kit (2x512) 1024MB
    >>(2x512MB) PC3200 DDR400 CAS 2.5 Memory Kit
    >>
    >>N368 6600GT 128M PCX eVGA 6600GT 128M DDR TV-o, DVi-i PCI-Express
    >>
    >>Burner:
    >>NEC 3520A Dual 16x DVD±RW, DL: 6x DVD±R NEC ND3520A Dual 16x8x16x
    >>DVD±RW, Dual-Layer for DVD±R 6x 2M oem Beige $78.00 instock at atic
    >>ND-3520A
    >>
    >>HD:
    >>$107.00 Seagate 120G 8M SATA 7200 Seagate 120G 8M SATA150 7200rpm
    >>IDE 3.5" on sale. atic in stock.
    >>
    >>case:
    >>SONATA Sonata Antec Sonata 18" ATX Tower w/ TruePower 380W Power
    >>Supply (Black) $120.00 in stock atic.ca
    >>
    >>Problem:
    >>Power supply has indeed a 20pin main power connector while the Mobo
    >>has a 24 pin slot. Hoping it would work anyway I have plugged the
    >>20pin into the middle of the 24pin slot.
    >
    >NO, not the middle - the 20-pin connector goes into the socket leaving 4
    >positions on the mbrd connector at *one* end empty. Look at the pic here:
    >http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=13-128-268-01.jpg/13-128-268-02.jpg/13-128-268-03.jpg/13-128-268-04.jpg&CurImage=13-128-268-02.jpg
    >which shows the Gigabyte mbrd with what looks like a plug in those "spare"
    >4 positions - pin-1 of the 20-pin connection is still pin-1 in the 24-pin
    >arrangement. The connector socket and the P/S wire's plug are keyed so
    >you're not supposed to be able to do things wrong here... though I admit
    >I've no experience.
    >
    >>Power supply has 3 Mobo power cables, 20pin, 4pin and 6(not pin-more
    >>like slot). Mobo only has the slots for the main power and the 4pin,
    >>not the 6slot. Maybe it's not necessary.
    >>
    >>Everything is plugged in securely. Power switch at back of case is
    >>set to "on". I plug in power cable to back of case and the case and
    >>power supply fan come on but all else is quiet. No cpu fan activity.
    >>No floppy drive seek. No hard drive spin. Nothing. I pressed both
    >>the buttons at the front of the case and for some duration, nothing.
    >
    >Jeez I hope nothing got damaged by plugging the ATX power connector in
    >wrong... probably not since the mbrd power-on pin is hopefully not being
    >triggered since it's connected to constant ground, though the +5VSB is
    >connected to the new +12V1 with the connector in the middle.
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

    On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 21:40:02 -0500, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:

    >On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 15:58:01 -0500, George Macdonald wrote:
    >> The question I have is: are both +12V pins on the 24-pin ATX connector
    >> just connected to the one +12V plane on the mbrd?...
    >
    >Certainly. A second plane would be nutz. Heavier copper would be far
    >cheaper, were it needed.
    >
    >> or are there
    >> separate +12V planes?...
    >
    >No.

    Good - thanks for clearing that up; that was the main point of confusion
    for me in this whole mess.

    --
    Rgds, George Macdonald
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

    Never anonymous Bud wrote:

    >I know 8 people that have bought A64 systems.
    >
    >Not ONE of them is currently fully satisfied,
    >several are on the verge of taking them back for refunds.

    What problems are they having?
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

    A lot of people used newegg, at least once anyway.

    A link is worth 15,000+ words.
    http://tinyurl.com/596x9
  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

    In article <1108629393.201670.107760@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
    bigriff@ureach.com says...
    > A lot of people used newegg, at least once anyway.

    I've used them at least once a month for the last year. I won't buy
    from anyone else, other than Crucial for memory.

    > A link is worth 15,000+ words.
    > http://tinyurl.com/596x9

    Get a life!

    --