Question about EV-DO vs. 1xRTT

Currently I use a v710 with my laptop to connect at an indicated 230,400
bps using Verizon's network, and the cost to me is just normal phone
minutes.

It is faster than a dialup phone modem- I downloaded a 1.2 MB file and
it took 6.5 minutes by landline, but only 1.75 minutes via Bluetooth.
(it took 2 seconds by cable modem).

The question is, if I would get the Moto E815 which has EV-DO, would I
improve my internet connection speed if I use the same connection method?

thanks,

m-m
8 answers Last reply
More about question 1xrtt

    "M-M" <nospam@ny.more> wrote in message
    > Currently I use a v710 with my laptop to connect at an indicated 230,400
    > bps using Verizon's network, and the cost to me is just normal phone
    > minutes.
    >
    > It is faster than a dialup phone modem- I downloaded a 1.2 MB file and
    > it took 6.5 minutes by landline, but only 1.75 minutes via Bluetooth.
    > (it took 2 seconds by cable modem).
    >
    > The question is, if I would get the Moto E815 which has EV-DO, would I
    > improve my internet connection speed if I use the same connection method?

    If the service is available in your area, you should get about four to
    five times faster downloads. Uploads may not change much.

    What everybody keeps misunderstanding is that the 230,400 that you see, is
    just the connection speed between the computer and the phone, through the
    cable. Your internet speed is completely separate.

    Joe

    "M-M" <nospam@ny.more> wrote in message
    > Currently I use a v710 with my laptop to connect at an indicated 230,400
    > bps using Verizon's network, and the cost to me is just normal phone
    > minutes.
    >
    > It is faster than a dialup phone modem- I downloaded a 1.2 MB file and
    > it took 6.5 minutes by landline, but only 1.75 minutes via Bluetooth.
    > (it took 2 seconds by cable modem).
    >
    > The question is, if I would get the Moto E815 which has EV-DO, would I
    > improve my internet connection speed if I use the same connection method?
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > m-m

    I missed the bluetooth part. So in your case its still only the connection
    speed between the phone and computer through bluetooth

    Joe

    In article <0IWdnZWikpQHb0bfRVn-1w@comcast.com>,
    "Joseph Zarrello" <joez148@comcast.net> wrote:

    > I missed the bluetooth part. So in your case its still only the connection
    > speed between the phone and computer through bluetooth
    >
    > Joe
    >
    > "Joseph Zarrello" <joez148@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > What everybody keeps misunderstanding is that the 230,400 that you see, is
    > > just the connection speed between the computer and the phone, through the
    > > cable. Your internet speed is completely separate.

    OK, I understand that. It's still faster using DUN to vzw than a 56K
    modem to a local ISP. The question remains, would it be faster still if
    EV-DO (on an e815) instead of 1xRTT (on a v710)?

    m-m

    > In article <0IWdnZWikpQHb0bfRVn-1w@comcast.com>,
    > "Joseph Zarrello" <joez148@comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    >> I missed the bluetooth part. So in your case its still only the
    >> connection
    >> speed between the phone and computer through bluetooth
    >>
    >> Joe
    >>
    >> "Joseph Zarrello" <joez148@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> > What everybody keeps misunderstanding is that the 230,400 that you see,
    >> > is
    >> > just the connection speed between the computer and the phone, through
    >> > the
    >> > cable. Your internet speed is completely separate.
    >> >

    > OK, I understand that. It's still faster using DUN to vzw than a 56K
    > modem to a local ISP. The question remains, would it be faster still if
    > EV-DO (on an e815) instead of 1xRTT (on a v710)?

    Yes, even on Bluetooth which still provides more speed than EV-DO can
    give at the moment.

    Yes, the connection between the phone/computer, phone/bluetooth. If you
    want to see your actual connection speed, once connected use cnet or
    speakeasy to test. Some will offer that you will get 4xs the speed with an
    EV-DO phone, but I think you'll find it the same or similar as long as your
    using data via minutes of use. dr
    --
    dr.news Better Price? (not better than you deserve, just more than you are
    used to)

    M-M wrote:
    > Currently I use a v710 with my laptop to connect at an indicated 230,400
    > bps using Verizon's network, and the cost to me is just normal phone
    > minutes.
    >
    > It is faster than a dialup phone modem- I downloaded a 1.2 MB file and
    > it took 6.5 minutes by landline, but only 1.75 minutes via Bluetooth.
    > (it took 2 seconds by cable modem).
    >
    > The question is, if I would get the Moto E815 which has EV-DO, would I
    > improve my internet connection speed if I use the same connection method?

    Until they cut off your account. Tethering is prohibited on the 815 (or
    any other EV-DO phone) unless you buy a data plan, and apparently they
    are serious about enforcing it (per the discussions on HowardForums).
    BTW, that 230,400bps is between the phone and the laptop; the
    theoretical maximum speed over the air for 1xRTT (as the 710 uses) is
    about 120kbs, but almost always more like 80kbs.

    In article <733Ee.1887$Fk4.1474@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,
    CharlesH <hoch@exemplary.invalid> wrote:

    > Tethering is prohibited on the 815 (or
    > any other EV-DO phone) unless you buy a data plan, and apparently they
    > are serious about enforcing it (per the discussions on HowardForums).

    Can you point to these discussions?

    Is it permitted with the v710 at 1xRTT?

    thx,

    m-m

Verizon Connection Internet Service Providers Product