2 512 ram sticks with different speeds

I have one 512 ram 266 mhz and one 512 ram 400 mhz on an intel original
865GBF m'bo and P IV 3.0Ghz. Total of 1 Ghz with different speeds.
Before I install the 512DDR 266Mhz ram the system had 512DDR 400Mhz Ram and
the system memory showed 400, after installing the second ram of 512DDR
266Mhz the system memory shows 266.

I also want to know is it safe to install two different speeds of ram in
one M'Bo

Also there has been no change in the speed or performance at all.

Your help is appreciated.

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 21:00:26 GMT, "Worldnet tech"
<att.tech.supp@att.net> wrote:

>I have one 512 ram 266 mhz and one 512 ram 400 mhz on an intel original
>865GBF m'bo and P IV 3.0Ghz. Total of 1 Ghz with different speeds.
>Before I install the 512DDR 266Mhz ram the system had 512DDR 400Mhz Ram and
>the system memory showed 400, after installing the second ram of 512DDR
>266Mhz the system memory shows 266.

That is too be expected. Memory runs at the slowest common
denominator.

>I also want to know is it safe to install two different speeds of ram in
>one M'Bo

It can be rather problematic, especially in boards like you're that
are supposed to always use memory in matched pairs.

>Also there has been no change in the speed or performance at all.

Difference in memory performance is tough to notice with the naked eye
and even benchmarks will have a tough time noting it. Also you may
have gone from a single-channel memory setup with 400MT/s memory to a
dual-channel setup with 266MT/s memory, so the two might have canceled
each other out from a performance standpoint.

Either way, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Tony Hill