Updated Update on AMD 939 + MSI Neo Plat 'overclocked'

Thought I'd come back on this one now the the faulty mainboard has been
replaced!

Having at long last witnessed the 'overclocking' msgs, the techie said he
thought the fault lay with the CMOS which apparently was reporting the FSB
as if it were overclocked - if that makes any sense :-)
He also said running SiSoft Sandra gave some "very strange" readings.
The board has now gone back to MSI and am I glad to see the back of it.

My fixed PC has been fine so far --- tho by now I still keep expecting those
odd msgs. All we have to do now is to set up our wireless router/ internet
connection - 0ooooooohhh

--
Kate
2 answers Last reply

    On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 20:16:32 -0000, "Kate"
    <kate@REMOVEbillkath.demon.co.uk> wrote:

    >Thought I'd come back on this one now the the faulty mainboard has been
    >replaced!
    >
    >Having at long last witnessed the 'overclocking' msgs, the techie said he
    >thought the fault lay with the CMOS which apparently was reporting the FSB
    >as if it were overclocked - if that makes any sense :-)
    >He also said running SiSoft Sandra gave some "very strange" readings.
    >The board has now gone back to MSI and am I glad to see the back of it.

    I think the "overclocking" msg was a bit misleading. That mbrd has some
    automatic overclocking options in BIOS Setup and if it fails POST, it
    assumes you've been using them. IOW you'll get that msg even if you
    haven't turned on the overclock.

    >My fixed PC has been fine so far --- tho by now I still keep expecting those
    >odd msgs. All we have to do now is to set up our wireless router/ internet
    >connection - 0ooooooohhh

    Glad to hear you got something which works. Is that a different mbrd?

    --
    Rgds, George Macdonald

    No George, its still the MSI Neo2 Plat -- my 'research' indicated this to be
    the best 939 board around so didn't want to go for something else.
    The new one's still trouble free and seems nice and quick ... in fact it's
    great to be back in the world of up-to-date IT -- that is for the mo at
    least

    Kate

    George Macdonald wrote:
    > Glad to hear you got something which works. Is that a different mbrd?

CPUs