Memory Upgrade GW Select 950

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
August 8, 2004 9:17:03 PM

I have a Gateway 950mhz computer with a 60gb hard drive. It originally
came with 128mb of memory. I later upgraded by having another 128mb
installed. I am going to purchase Adobe Photoshop and will need more memory.

I know I can just get another 128mb installed in there for a total of
384mb. However, I'd like at least a total of 512mb (the system
requirements for Photoshop are 256mb, but more to run multiple
components simultaneously).

Now, here are the questions for which I've been unable to get
satisfactory answers. The computer has 3 slots. Can I just slap in a
256mb memory card (or even a 512mb card) in the third slot, or do all
three slots have to have same sized memory cards?

For that matter, is there a limit beyond which adding additional memory
will produce no appreciable favorable results?

Do I need to purchase brand-specific memory cards or would any card that
has the appropriate number of pins be ok?

Also, Gateway tells me I can have 3 512mb cards, but Crucial.com says I
can have only a total of 768mb. Plus Crucial.com lists PC133 and PC100
cards (the PC100 are twice as expensive as the PC133). What are the
differences there?
Anonymous
a b } Memory
August 9, 2004 1:28:20 AM

Just as important is the operating system running on your computer. Windows 95,
98 & ME are effectively limited to 512MB... Ben Myers

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 17:17:03 GMT, Ken <kewaynco@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I have a Gateway 950mhz computer with a 60gb hard drive. It originally
>came with 128mb of memory. I later upgraded by having another 128mb
>installed. I am going to purchase Adobe Photoshop and will need more memory.
>
>I know I can just get another 128mb installed in there for a total of
>384mb. However, I'd like at least a total of 512mb (the system
>requirements for Photoshop are 256mb, but more to run multiple
>components simultaneously).
>
>Now, here are the questions for which I've been unable to get
>satisfactory answers. The computer has 3 slots. Can I just slap in a
>256mb memory card (or even a 512mb card) in the third slot, or do all
>three slots have to have same sized memory cards?
>
>For that matter, is there a limit beyond which adding additional memory
>will produce no appreciable favorable results?
>
>Do I need to purchase brand-specific memory cards or would any card that
>has the appropriate number of pins be ok?
>
>Also, Gateway tells me I can have 3 512mb cards, but Crucial.com says I
>can have only a total of 768mb. Plus Crucial.com lists PC133 and PC100
>cards (the PC100 are twice as expensive as the PC133). What are the
>differences there?
August 9, 2004 2:00:53 AM

Win XP Pro
Ben Myers wrote:
> Just as important is the operating system running on your computer. Windows 95,
> 98 & ME are effectively limited to 512MB... Ben Myers
>
> On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 17:17:03 GMT, Ken <kewaynco@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>I have a Gateway 950mhz computer with a 60gb hard drive. It originally
>>came with 128mb of memory. I later upgraded by having another 128mb
>>installed. I am going to purchase Adobe Photoshop and will need more memory.
>>
>>I know I can just get another 128mb installed in there for a total of
>>384mb. However, I'd like at least a total of 512mb (the system
>>requirements for Photoshop are 256mb, but more to run multiple
>>components simultaneously).
>>
>>Now, here are the questions for which I've been unable to get
>>satisfactory answers. The computer has 3 slots. Can I just slap in a
>>256mb memory card (or even a 512mb card) in the third slot, or do all
>>three slots have to have same sized memory cards?
>>
>>For that matter, is there a limit beyond which adding additional memory
>>will produce no appreciable favorable results?
>>
>>Do I need to purchase brand-specific memory cards or would any card that
>>has the appropriate number of pins be ok?
>>
>>Also, Gateway tells me I can have 3 512mb cards, but Crucial.com says I
>>can have only a total of 768mb. Plus Crucial.com lists PC133 and PC100
>>cards (the PC100 are twice as expensive as the PC133). What are the
>>differences there?

a b } Memory
August 9, 2004 5:09:21 AM

Then, depending on the model of motherboard, you can probably go for a max of
768MB, using 3x256 LOW DENSITY SDRAM DIMMs. RSVP with the BIOS ID of the
motherboard. Given the CPU speed of 950MHz, odds of handling 768MB are pretty
good... Ben Myers

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 22:00:53 GMT, Ken <kewaynco@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Win XP Pro
>Ben Myers wrote:
>> Just as important is the operating system running on your computer. Windows 95,
>> 98 & ME are effectively limited to 512MB... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 17:17:03 GMT, Ken <kewaynco@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>I have a Gateway 950mhz computer with a 60gb hard drive. It originally
>>>came with 128mb of memory. I later upgraded by having another 128mb
>>>installed. I am going to purchase Adobe Photoshop and will need more memory.
>>>
>>>I know I can just get another 128mb installed in there for a total of
>>>384mb. However, I'd like at least a total of 512mb (the system
>>>requirements for Photoshop are 256mb, but more to run multiple
>>>components simultaneously).
>>>
>>>Now, here are the questions for which I've been unable to get
>>>satisfactory answers. The computer has 3 slots. Can I just slap in a
>>>256mb memory card (or even a 512mb card) in the third slot, or do all
>>>three slots have to have same sized memory cards?
>>>
>>>For that matter, is there a limit beyond which adding additional memory
>>>will produce no appreciable favorable results?
>>>
>>>Do I need to purchase brand-specific memory cards or would any card that
>>>has the appropriate number of pins be ok?
>>>
>>>Also, Gateway tells me I can have 3 512mb cards, but Crucial.com says I
>>>can have only a total of 768mb. Plus Crucial.com lists PC133 and PC100
>>>cards (the PC100 are twice as expensive as the PC133). What are the
>>>differences there?

August 9, 2004 6:04:52 AM

Pardon me for my lack of real hardware experience (experience is limited
to replaced and added hard drives), but where will I find the BIOS id?

Ben Myers wrote:
> Then, depending on the model of motherboard, you can probably go for a max of
> 768MB, using 3x256 LOW DENSITY SDRAM DIMMs. RSVP with the BIOS ID of the
> motherboard. Given the CPU speed of 950MHz, odds of handling 768MB are pretty
> good... Ben Myers
>
> On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 22:00:53 GMT, Ken <kewaynco@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Win XP Pro
>>Ben Myers wrote:
>>
>>>Just as important is the operating system running on your computer. Windows 95,
>>>98 & ME are effectively limited to 512MB... Ben Myers

Anonymous
a b } Memory
August 9, 2004 6:45:21 AM

When you first power up the computer, the motherboard BIOS startup routine
displays text including the BIOS ID, usually just after the BIOS copyright.

.... Ben Myers

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 02:04:52 GMT, Ken <kewaynco@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Pardon me for my lack of real hardware experience (experience is limited
>to replaced and added hard drives), but where will I find the BIOS id?
>
>Ben Myers wrote:
>> Then, depending on the model of motherboard, you can probably go for a max of
>> 768MB, using 3x256 LOW DENSITY SDRAM DIMMs. RSVP with the BIOS ID of the
>> motherboard. Given the CPU speed of 950MHz, odds of handling 768MB are pretty
>> good... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 22:00:53 GMT, Ken <kewaynco@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Win XP Pro

August 11, 2004 1:58:07 AM

OK, here is what I believe to be the BIOS ID

62-0518-009999-00101111-070199-AMIBIOS-0AAVWP13-Y2KC-F

Motherboard listed as MS-6330 2.1 MicroStar (F2)

Bios AMIBIOS 0700xx (26-Jun-2001)

Processor AMD Athlon 950MHz (L1 cache: 128.0 Kb, L2 cache: 256.0 Kb)
Ext.clock: 100 MHz

Memory installed 256 Mb (261 552 Kb) DIMM 1: 128 Mb(DIMM,SDRAM) DIMM
2: 128 Mb(DIMM,SDRAM)

Ben Myers wrote:
> When you first power up the computer, the motherboard BIOS startup routine
> displays text including the BIOS ID, usually just after the BIOS copyright.
>
> ... Ben Myers
>
> On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 02:04:52 GMT, Ken <kewaynco@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Pardon me for my lack of real hardware experience (experience is limited
>>to replaced and added hard drives), but where will I find the BIOS id?
>>
>>Ben Myers wrote:
>>
>>>Then, depending on the model of motherboard, you can probably go for a max of
>>>768MB, using 3x256 LOW DENSITY SDRAM DIMMs. RSVP with the BIOS ID of the
>>>motherboard. Given the CPU speed of 950MHz, odds of handling 768MB are pretty
>>>good... Ben Myers

Anonymous
a b } Memory
August 11, 2004 4:51:44 AM

According to MicroStar's web site, the generic MS-6330 supports up to 1.5GB of
memory (3x512MB), either PC100 or PC133 non-parity. Now, did Gateway have
anything done by Microstar to cripple the motherboard or its BIOS to keep the
total amount of memory lower? I don't know, but I doubt it. All you can do is
try a 512MB DIMM... Ben Myers

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 21:58:07 GMT, Ken <kewaynco@hotmail.com> wrote:

>OK, here is what I believe to be the BIOS ID
>
>62-0518-009999-00101111-070199-AMIBIOS-0AAVWP13-Y2KC-F
>
>Motherboard listed as MS-6330 2.1 MicroStar (F2)
>
>Bios AMIBIOS 0700xx (26-Jun-2001)
>
>Processor AMD Athlon 950MHz (L1 cache: 128.0 Kb, L2 cache: 256.0 Kb)
> Ext.clock: 100 MHz
>
>Memory installed 256 Mb (261 552 Kb) DIMM 1: 128 Mb(DIMM,SDRAM) DIMM
>2: 128 Mb(DIMM,SDRAM)
>

>Ben Myers wrote:
>> When you first power up the computer, the motherboard BIOS startup routine
>> displays text including the BIOS ID, usually just after the BIOS copyright.
>>
>> ... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 02:04:52 GMT, Ken <kewaynco@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Pardon me for my lack of real hardware experience (experience is limited
>>>to replaced and added hard drives), but where will I find the BIOS id?

Anonymous
a b } Memory
August 11, 2004 4:51:45 AM

I have this same computer, running windows xp pro. I have 2 128 sticks and 1
512 stick. No problems, It worked great while capturing vhs tapes to
computer, editing, and buring to dvd.

Pam
> According to MicroStar's web site, the generic MS-6330 supports up to
1.5GB of
> memory (3x512MB), either PC100 or PC133 non-parity. Now, did Gateway have
> anything done by Microstar to cripple the motherboard or its BIOS to keep
the
> total amount of memory lower? I don't know, but I doubt it. All you can
do is
> try a 512MB DIMM... Ben Myers
>
> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 21:58:07 GMT, Ken <kewaynco@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >OK, here is what I believe to be the BIOS ID
> >
> >62-0518-009999-00101111-070199-AMIBIOS-0AAVWP13-Y2KC-F
> >
> >Motherboard listed as MS-6330 2.1 MicroStar (F2)
> >
> >Bios AMIBIOS 0700xx (26-Jun-2001)
> >
> >Processor AMD Athlon 950MHz (L1 cache: 128.0 Kb, L2 cache: 256.0 Kb)
> > Ext.clock: 100 MHz
> >
> >Memory installed 256 Mb (261 552 Kb) DIMM 1: 128 Mb(DIMM,SDRAM) DIMM
> >2: 128 Mb(DIMM,SDRAM)
> >

> >Ben Myers wrote:
> >> When you first power up the computer, the motherboard BIOS startup
routine
> >> displays text including the BIOS ID, usually just after the BIOS
copyright.

> >> ... Ben Myers

Windows 95,

PC100

---
No Virus Here!!
August 11, 2004 6:02:08 AM

From whom did you purchase the 512 card? The largest I've found
searching on the internet is 256.

Pamela and Howard Signa wrote:

> I have this same computer, running windows xp pro. I have 2 128 sticks and 1
> 512 stick. No problems, It worked great while capturing vhs tapes to
> computer, editing, and buring to dvd.
>
> Pam
> <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
>
>>According to MicroStar's web site, the generic MS-6330 supports up to
>
> 1.5GB of
>
>>memory (3x512MB), either PC100 or PC133 non-parity. Now, did Gateway have
>>anything done by Microstar to cripple the motherboard or its BIOS to keep
>
> the
>
>>total amount of memory lower? I don't know, but I doubt it. All you can
>
> do is
>
>>try a 512MB DIMM... Ben Myers
>>
>>On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 21:58:07 GMT, Ken <kewaynco@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>OK, here is what I believe to be the BIOS ID
>>>
>>>62-0518-009999-00101111-070199-AMIBIOS-0AAVWP13-Y2KC-F
>>>
>>>Motherboard listed as MS-6330 2.1 MicroStar (F2)
>>>
>>>Bios AMIBIOS 0700xx (26-Jun-2001)
>>>
>>>Processor AMD Athlon 950MHz (L1 cache: 128.0 Kb, L2 cache: 256.0 Kb)
>>> Ext.clock: 100 MHz
>>>
>>>Memory installed 256 Mb (261 552 Kb) DIMM 1: 128 Mb(DIMM,SDRAM) DIMM
>>>2: 128 Mb(DIMM,SDRAM)

> routine

> copyright.

> limited

> max of

> the

> are pretty

> Windows 95,

> originally

> more memory.

> of

> all

> memory

> that

> says I

> PC100

> ---
> No Virus Here!!

a b } Memory
August 11, 2004 6:02:09 AM

512 MB PC-133 SDRAM 168 PIN BRAND NEW DIMM MODULE. Item number:
3487673947

128mbedoram

MRVCAT@AOL.COM

Ebay