Bootup Error ....

The virus software i have installed is Mcafee Virus Scan V8.0 with the
security center that came with it..

This is a new hard drive yes

P4 3.0Ghz HT 1MB

before SP2 was installed, yes everything was fine.. then windows update
pops up and recommends the SP2

then after that was installed.. everything seemed fine.. I was able to
do a restart.. but once again.. powering off the system complelely and
letting it stay off for about hmm 10mins then rebooting then getting
that error about the windows\system32\config\system..

I can still get into windows.. but it takes a few reboots to have
windows load up competely..

Is Mcafee virus scan bad for SP2???........

--
mikeylbl
4 answers Last reply

    On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 02:47:22 +0000, mikeylbl
    <mikeylbl.1jpejq@news.computerbanter.com> wrote:

    >The virus software i have installed is Mcafee Virus Scan V8.0 with the
    >security center that came with it..
    >
    >This is a new hard drive yes
    >
    >P4 3.0Ghz HT 1MB
    >
    >before SP2 was installed, yes everything was fine.. then windows update
    >pops up and recommends the SP2

    Even with the new hard drive, everything was OK?... or did you install SP2
    right after installing the new hard drive?

    >then after that was installed.. everything seemed fine.. I was able to
    >do a restart.. but once again.. powering off the system complelely and
    >letting it stay off for about hmm 10mins then rebooting then getting
    >that error about the windows\system32\config\system..

    So it's only on a cold start that you get errors? That doesn't sound like
    a software problem but see below anyway. You might want to check for a
    BIOS update and/or new SATA drivers but neither should affect a cold start
    only problem. Have you downloaded the Western Digital diags and checked
    the new hard drive? Also, though I've personally not had good luck with
    SMART, make sure it's turned on for the drive.

    >I can still get into windows.. but it takes a few reboots to have
    >windows load up competely..
    >
    >Is Mcafee virus scan bad for SP2???........

    I've no experience with McAfee but it depends on how old it is... i.e. does
    it predate SP2. Check with McAfee for updates and/or comments on SP2. SP2
    has broken lots of software: I've had trouble with Norton Anti-Virus, where
    it would cause a blue screen on shutdown and resulting file corruption - in
    that case it was due to the shutdown-floppy drive check and turning that
    option off fixed it; apparently the scheduled virus definitions update
    feature was also broken but I never use that anyway. I've also had trouble
    with networked printing with SP2.

    If you can get the system up, I'd suggest doing the following from a
    Command Prompt:

    SFC /PURGECACHE
    SFC /SCANNOW

    That should flush your system file cache and run a check of system files
    for corruption and refresh anything which is damaged. The /SCANNOW takes
    quite a while to run.

    >George Macdonald Wrote:
    >> On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 23:58:19 +0000, mikeylbl
    >> mikeylbl.1jlp7m@news.computerbanter.com wrote:
    >> -
    >>
    >> Western Digital SATA hard drive.. WD2000JD 200GIG
    >> Asus motherboard P4P800SE bios 1007
    >>
    >> I have mcafee virus scan..
    >> the motherboard has a virus detection in it.. that is disabled..
    >> The Hd is only 1 Partition.. NTSF
    >>
    >> "boot sector virus checking was turned off in
    >> BIOS Setup?"
    >> Yes that is disabled too
    >>
    >> As for SP2, that I downloaded from windows update-
    >>
    >> I'm confused about what has and has not worked so far - if SP2 was
    >> applied
    >> separately, then was the system shutting down and powering back on OK
    >> *before* SP2 was applied? Is this a new system or just a new hard
    >> disk?
    >> Which CPU, mbrd etc.? SP2 *does* react badly with several anti-virus
    >> progs
    >> and this can result in file corruption.

    --
    Rgds, George Macdonald

    I hate McAfee. I've had to replace it on customers PC's more times than I can
    count. And wouldn't you know,AOL's free virus software is McAfee.
    Switch to Norton or AVG.

    Bitstring <20050131181726.25433.00000336@mb-m13.aol.com>, from the
    wonderful person YanquiDawg <yanquidawg@aol.com> said
    >I hate McAfee. I've had to replace it on customers PC's more times than I can
    >count. And wouldn't you know,AOL's free virus software is McAfee.
    >Switch to Norton or AVG.

    Switch to Trend or AVG. (NAV gets more bad press in the AV groups than
    everything else put together.)

    --
    GSV Three Minds in a Can

    On 31 Jan 2005 23:17:26 GMT, yanquidawg@aol.com (YanquiDawg) wrote:

    >I hate McAfee. I've had to replace it on customers PC's more times than I can
    >count. And wouldn't you know,AOL's free virus software is McAfee.
    >Switch to Norton or AVG.

    Nothing from Symantec/Norton is any bargain either. Their upgrade
    policies are worse than Microsoft - you find yourself paying all over for
    their software every 2 years or so and they want you to pay for "Gold
    Insurance" to get any support at all. What you get in the box is just
    that: a box. I've been seriously thinking about F-Prot recently but can't
    make up my mind... but here's a little msg for anybody with Norton AV:
    Eddie lives...somewhere in time!

    >>>The virus software i have installed is Mcafee Virus Scan V8.0 with the
    >>>security center that came with it..

    --
    Rgds, George Macdonald

CPUs Virus