AMD 64 socket 754 prob

My Motherboard AGP slot is acting up so I am sending the board back to
newegg to RMA it but here is my problem.. BTW its a AMD 64 3000+ retail and
well the CPU is stuck to the heat sink anyway to get it off? lol
4 answers Last reply
More about socket prob

    On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 17:12:32 -0500, George Macdonald
    <fammacd=!SPAM^nothanks@tellurian.com> wrote:

    >On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 02:50:51 -0500, Tony Hill <hilla_nospam_20@yahoo.ca>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Thermal compound acts like quite a glue when it's cold, making it very
    >>difficult to separate the processor from the heatsink. However once
    >>it heats up it becomes more of a liquid and allows the heatsink the
    >>move around much more freely. In order to actually remove the
    >>heatsink, once it's nice and warm, it's usually easiest to slid the
    >>processor off to the side rather than trying to just pry them apart.
    >
    >Sliding to the side is kinda difficult with the A64 retention mechanism. I
    >haven't tried to separate one yet but I thought the TIM was just a paste on
    >the A64s... IOW not a phase change material. I guess heat might help
    >anyway and I wonder if taking the screws out of the retention frame might
    >allow a bit more movement.

    LOL! I was kind of going on the assumption that the original poster
    had already removed the screws! Actually my understanding of it was
    that he had removed both processor and heatsink from the motherboard
    altogether.

    As for the paste vs. phase change, yes heat definitely does help with
    removing a heatsink stuck on with paste. It's not always necessary
    like it tends to be with the old pink pads, but it can be.

    -------------
    Tony Hill

    lol yeah its out of the socket for sure kind of just came out when I tried
    to take off the heat sink lol but the lock was on so I am not sure how it
    came out ...

    "Tony Hill" <hilla_nospam_20@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 17:12:32 -0500, George Macdonald
    > <fammacd=!SPAM^nothanks@tellurian.com> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 02:50:51 -0500, Tony Hill <hilla_nospam_20@yahoo.ca>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>Thermal compound acts like quite a glue when it's cold, making it very
    >>>difficult to separate the processor from the heatsink. However once
    >>>it heats up it becomes more of a liquid and allows the heatsink the
    >>>move around much more freely. In order to actually remove the
    >>>heatsink, once it's nice and warm, it's usually easiest to slid the
    >>>processor off to the side rather than trying to just pry them apart.
    >>
    >>Sliding to the side is kinda difficult with the A64 retention mechanism.
    >>haven't tried to separate one yet but I thought the TIM was just a paste
    >>on
    >>the A64s... IOW not a phase change material. I guess heat might help
    >>anyway and I wonder if taking the screws out of the retention frame might
    >>allow a bit more movement.
    >
    > LOL! I was kind of going on the assumption that the original poster
    > had already removed the screws! Actually my understanding of it was
    > that he had removed both processor and heatsink from the motherboard
    > altogether.
    >
    > As for the paste vs. phase change, yes heat definitely does help with
    > removing a heatsink stuck on with paste. It's not always necessary
    > like it tends to be with the old pink pads, but it can be.
    >
    > -------------
    > Tony Hill

    On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 00:53:31 -0600, "Anthony"
    <aevansjr3@nospamhahha.cox.net> wrote:

    >lol yeah its out of the socket for sure kind of just came out when I tried
    >to take off the heat sink lol but the lock was on so I am not sure how it
    >came out ...

    The "lock" isn't so much a lock as just a mechanism to ensure that
    it's seated properly. It doesn't hold the processor in very tightly,
    just tight enough that it won't fall out accidentally.

    -------------
    Tony Hill

    On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 17:12:32 -0500, George Macdonald
    <fammacd=!SPAM^nothanks@tellurian.com> wrote:

    >Sliding to the side is kinda difficult with the A64 retention mechanism. I
    >haven't tried to separate one yet but I thought the TIM was just a paste on
    >the A64s... IOW not a phase change material. I guess heat might help
    >anyway and I wonder if taking the screws out of the retention frame might
    >allow a bit more movement.

    Indeed I removed my A64 to move it to a new board and when I removed
    the heatsing from the surrounding mechanism it with drew the processor
    from the socket even though the lock arm was engaged fully I was a bit
    worried until the processor booted fine when in the new board. Made a
    note to self that the next time I remove it it will be after it has
    been running for some time and has at least a modicum of warmth in it.

CPUs AMD Socket