upgrading a laptop HD

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

Got an old P3-450 Toshiba Satellite laptop with a 10GB 5400RPM drive
(hell, I'm only certain about the 10GB part, for all I know the speed
could be 3600RPM, the system is certainly old and slow enough). Have
seen a place selling a 40GB 7200RPM 2.5" laptop drive, so everything
would be much better with this upgrade: speed and capacity. Or would it?
My lap already gets burned as the system now exists, is this modern
higher-speed HD going to make my lap roast, and melt everything inside
the case?

Yousuf Khan
4 answers Last reply
More about upgrading laptop
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Yousuf Khan <bbbl67@ezrs.com> wrote:
    > Got an old P3-450 Toshiba Satellite laptop with a 10GB 5400RPM drive
    > (hell, I'm only certain about the 10GB part, for all I know the speed
    > could be 3600RPM, the system is certainly old and slow enough). Have
    > seen a place selling a 40GB 7200RPM 2.5" laptop drive, so everything
    > would be much better with this upgrade: speed and capacity. Or would it?
    > My lap already gets burned as the system now exists, is this modern
    > higher-speed HD going to make my lap roast, and melt everything inside
    > the case?

    Additional problems:
    - Will the BIOS recognise it?
    - Will it fit (mechanically)? (I had this problem with a really
    stupid interior design in a Sony Vaio SR11k. By now it has
    died of other causes and I have less stylish but far better
    ebgineered hardware from IBM...)

    As to whether a new disk will get hotter, look into the datasheets
    of the old and new disk. No other way except to try and potentially
    fail.

    Arno
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

    Yousuf Khan <bbbl67@ezrs.com> wrote :

    > Have seen a place selling a 40GB 7200RPM 2.5" laptop
    > drive

    sounds ok

    >, so everything would be much better with this upgrade: speed
    > and capacity. Or would it?

    it may have a 32g barrier (not likely), but thats a small problem you
    can fight with modding bios / jumpering the drive / using HDD
    manufacturer tool

    > My lap already gets burned as the
    > system now exists, is this modern higher-speed HD going to make my
    > lap roast, and melt everything inside the case?

    no :) but remember to keep the 'laptop' away from your laps, 'think of
    the children' :)

    Pozdrawiam.
    --
    RusH //
    http://randki.o2.pl/profil.php?id_r=352019

    Look up the power consumption specs for the old and the new drive and
    compare them. I upgraded a Dell Inspiron (P3-500) to a 60 GB 7200 rpm
    Hitachi disk, no problem. The new drive doesn't use any more power
    than the old one (12 GB 5400 rpm or something like that.)
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

    On 2005-02-06 23:28, Yousuf Khan wrote:
    > Got an old P3-450 Toshiba Satellite laptop with a 10GB 5400RPM drive
    > (hell, I'm only certain about the 10GB part, for all I know the speed
    > could be 3600RPM, the system is certainly old and slow enough). Have
    > seen a place selling a 40GB 7200RPM 2.5" laptop drive, so everything
    > would be much better with this upgrade: speed and capacity. Or would it?
    > My lap already gets burned as the system now exists, is this modern
    > higher-speed HD going to make my lap roast, and melt everything inside
    > the case?
    >
    > Yousuf Khan

    Laptop disks are usually about 5W power, but check the specs & compare.

    What roasts your nuts is the CPU, and I'm not sure if power-stepping
    features were available for that cpu model, maybe only for +600MHz
    mobile P3 (not celerons though).

    /Rolf

CPUs Laptops Hardware IBM