Toughest motherboard?

dd

What is the toughest motherboard? Or brand? I would like to find out which
one will survive best in high vibration environments.

DD wrote:
> What is the toughest motherboard? Or brand? I would like to find out which
> one will survive best in high vibration environments.

Do a search for "single board computer" or SBC.
A lot of them are designed for industrial applications in
operating conditions that would quickly ruin a normal PC.

Even if you are not interested in an SBC, the same
manufacturers/vendors should have other products that might
satisfy you.

--
Every cloud has a silver lining, even if you sometimes
have to drop a little acid before you can see it.

"Rob Stow" <rob.stow.nospam@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> DD wrote:
> > What is the toughest motherboard? Or brand? I would like to find out
which
> > one will survive best in high vibration environments.
> >

> Do a search for "single board computer" or SBC.
> A lot of them are designed for industrial applications in
> operating conditions that would quickly ruin a normal PC.
>
> Even if you are not interested in an SBC, the same
> manufacturers/vendors should have other products that might
> satisfy you.

I'll second that recommendation.We've been running rackmounted PC boxes for
over almost 2 decades in aircraft using passive ISA & mixed ISA/PCI
backplanes and SBC's. Of course, your environment might be harsher than the
interior of a BAC 1-11, 737, or T-39. If that's the case, you should also
investigate "shock mounts" which are vibration isolation devices. We've
also run rack mounted microVAX and SGI workstations too.

Norm

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 09:30:54 GMT, "DD" <dontsendhere@nospam.com>
wrote:

>What is the toughest motherboard? Or brand? I would like to find out which
>one will survive best in high vibration environments.

You're chassis is going to have a MUCH larger impact here than the
type of motherboard you use. If you have a really high-vibration
environment, your best bet is definitely going to be to get a complete
system designed for such an environment.

-------------
Tony Hill

Bitstring <fusl01lkssemrau9obulure798eh100llr@4ax.com>, from the
wonderful person Tony Hill <hilla_nospam_20@yahoo.ca> said
>On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 09:30:54 GMT, "DD" <dontsendhere@nospam.com>
>wrote:
>
>>What is the toughest motherboard? Or brand? I would like to find out which
>>one will survive best in high vibration environments.
>
>You're chassis is going to have a MUCH larger impact here than the
>type of motherboard you use. If you have a really high-vibration
>environment, your best bet is definitely going to be to get a complete
>system designed for such an environment.

Seconded. And, of course, the stuff with 'moving parts' (notably hard
disks and optical drives) is going to cr&p out way before most
motherboards will be damaged (although half-kilogram Cu heatsinks on AMD
mountings are a definite no-no as well).

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can
SC recommends the use of Firefox; Get smart, or get assimilated.