Does a processor's performance degrade over time?

I was wondering if a CPU's performance would degrade over time and
use. Would it lose clock speed? Why would it do that?

Mark
4 answers Last reply
More about does processor performance degrade time

    Robert Redelmeier wrote:
    > Mark Oueis <markoueis@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > > I was wondering if a CPU's performance would degrade over time
    > > and use. Would it lose clock speed? Why would it do that?
    >
    > CPUs don't degrade over time. Generally it works or it
    > doesn't. Partial failures are rare. Potentially an Intel
    > P4 chip might throttle if the HSF is too small/dirty.
    >
    > Older MS-Windows machines frequently are slower than when new due
    > to bigger registries, increasing disk fragmentation, additional
    > process load, etc. But that is an OS maintenance issue.
    >
    > -- Robert

    There are known transistor degradation mechanisms such as gate-oxide
    breakdown and hot-electron effects that slowly change transistor
    performance. This can slowly degrade timings for signals across chip
    and eventually cause the chip to not work. Or it can result in a bit
    flip, if it happens in the chip's cache.

    Ultimately, the chip will slowly become less *capable*. That is,
    instead of a 3.4G chip being able to run at 3650Mhz it will slowly be
    able to run at 3600, then 3550, then 3500, etc... The end user
    wouldn't notice since the chip is multiplier locked at 3.4G until it is
    becomes unable to run at that speed and then it would act unstably.

    There are Q&R models that are used to predict failure rates. Chips are
    stressed at high temperature and voltage to simulate years of usage.
    This is why Intel offers only a 7 year warrantee on their chips.

    -Greg

    On 9 Feb 2005 17:22:09 -0800, "Greg" <jgmillr1@yahoo.com> wrote:

    re are Q&R models that are used to predict failure rates. Chips are
    >stressed at high temperature and voltage to simulate years of usage.
    >This is why Intel offers only a 7 year warrantee on their chips.
    >
    >-Greg

    7?

    http://support.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-020033.htm#2
    Boxed Processor family
    Intel offers a three (3) year limited warranty to original purchasers of
    Intel boxed processors.

    Ed

    Mark Oueis wrote:

    > I was wondering if a CPU's performance would degrade over time and
    > use. Would it lose clock speed? Why would it do that?
    >
    > Mark

    I probably feels that way, but it's usually due to disk fragmentation,
    Windows register bloat and countless software installations that
    automatically hook memory resources at boot time.

CPUs Hardware Performance IBM Processors