Asus P5GDC problems

I am trying to build a new system for my kids to play RCT3. I've always had
good luck with ASUS motherboards, so I went to newegg.com and got the
"P5GDC Deluxe" along with a Prescott P4 3.4GHz, and an MSI GeForce6600
video card. Everything went together just fine, but when I go to install
Windows 2000 from CD, it says that no hard drives were found. The hard
drive is a regular ATA 40GB, so nothing special there. It's plugged into
one of the red RAID connectors, but in the BIOS setup, the RAID connectors
are configured to be regular ATA. The BIOS seems to detect the HD when it
does its weird "IDE Scan" at startup, but if I hit Delete to go into the
BIOS setup, there's no sign of my HD. The CDROM shows up on the Primary IDE
controller in both places, and boots the W2K CD just fine.

I've done a little searching in Google, and found that others have had
similar problems, but I could not find a solution that worked. I'm also a
little surprised that the 4 reviews posted on newegg.com are all 5 stars
with no mention of any problems like this whatsoever. I've been building my
own computers for over 10 years, and aside from the occasional master/slave
misconfiguration, I've never had any issues with IDE hard drives being
detected. This is just slightly frustrating. Any ideas?

thanks,
Chris

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 16:54:52 GMT, cpm724@hotmail.com (Chris M) wrote:

>I am trying to build a new system for my kids to play RCT3. I've always had
>good luck with ASUS motherboards, so I went to newegg.com and got the
>"P5GDC Deluxe" along with a Prescott P4 3.4GHz, and an MSI GeForce6600
>video card. Everything went together just fine, but when I go to install
>Windows 2000 from CD, it says that no hard drives were found. The hard
>drive is a regular ATA 40GB, so nothing special there. It's plugged into
>one of the red RAID connectors, but in the BIOS setup, the RAID connectors
>are configured to be regular ATA. The BIOS seems to detect the HD when it
>does its weird "IDE Scan" at startup, but if I hit Delete to go into the
>BIOS setup, there's no sign of my HD. The CDROM shows up on the Primary IDE
>controller in both places, and boots the W2K CD just fine.

The red connectors on that motherboard are connected through the
integrated ITE RAID controller and they require a driver to be
detected by Windows. The only controller that Windows can see at boot
time is the one built into the chipset, ie the blue connector.

-------------
Tony Hill

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 16:54:52 GMT, cpm724@hotmail.com (Chris M) wrote:

>I am trying to build a new system for my kids to play RCT3. I've always had
>good luck with ASUS motherboards, so I went to newegg.com and got the
>"P5GDC Deluxe" along with a Prescott P4 3.4GHz, and an MSI GeForce6600
>video card. Everything went together just fine, but when I go to install
>Windows 2000 from CD, it says that no hard drives were found. The hard
>drive is a regular ATA 40GB, so nothing special there. It's plugged into
>one of the red RAID connectors, but in the BIOS setup, the RAID connectors
>are configured to be regular ATA. The BIOS seems to detect the HD when it
>does its weird "IDE Scan" at startup, but if I hit Delete to go into the
>BIOS setup, there's no sign of my HD. The CDROM shows up on the Primary IDE
>controller in both places, and boots the W2K CD just fine.
>
>I've done a little searching in Google, and found that others have had
>similar problems, but I could not find a solution that worked. I'm also a
>little surprised that the 4 reviews posted on newegg.com are all 5 stars
>with no mention of any problems like this whatsoever. I've been building my
>own computers for over 10 years, and aside from the occasional master/slave
>misconfiguration, I've never had any issues with IDE hard drives being
>detected. This is just slightly frustrating. Any ideas?

I don't know that mbrd but I'd think you need to look in the BIOS Setup for
an option to enable BIOS Support for the ITE controller and then make sure
the drive connected to it is listed in the boot device list.. and in the
correct order.

--
Rgds, George Macdonald

In article <4hg2119oftdq32jt00q35i0ejetdoje6g1@4ax.com>, George Macdonald <fammacd=!SPAM^nothanks@tellurian.com> wrote:

>>error message each time, at the very beginning of loading windows:
>>
>>\WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEMced startup options for Windows 2000, press F8.
>>
>>Sure that makes no sense. This ASUS is a dud. So what other brands are good
>>these days? Gigabite? MSI? ECS?
>
>Forgot to mention in my previous post: have you checked the Event log for
>ATAPI failures and warnings?

The HD corruption prevents me from booting the computer at all, so I
cannot get to Event Viewer. I'm not even going to try installing Windows on
this ITE RAID controller again. I've ordered a $15 PCI to ATA133 controller
card instead. Hopefully that will solve my problem. No more ASUS
motherboards for me, though.

Chris

Abdul Hafeez

Sir
you can use only one option RAID or IDEEE (in IDEEE plugin yours cd rom and HD in serial with there jumper setting )
and enable the option from bios