Operating system not found

I have had a reliable G6-400 for many years, upgraded with a Powerleap, and
running XP Pro.

Just lately the system crashes and when I get back to look at the monitor, I
have the message "operating system not found". Upon rebooting it boots fine
from the hard disk fine until suddenly it crashes again with the
aforementioned message. What could be going on?

Your hard drive is dying. Back up what you can, while you can - then test
the drive with the utility from its manufacturer.

High probability is that it will fail and you will need a new drive.

"Neal Stoughton" <nmstough@uci.edu> wrote in message
> I have had a reliable G6-400 for many years, upgraded with a Powerleap,
and
> running XP Pro.
>
> Just lately the system crashes and when I get back to look at the monitor,
> have the message "operating system not found". Upon rebooting it boots
fine
> from the hard disk fine until suddenly it crashes again with the
> aforementioned message. What could be going on?

First, I would recommend replacing the C2032 3v lithium battery if you haven't
done so recently. Computers do odd things when the battery is dying.

Second, I would clean out the cobwebs and dust bunnies with a can of compressed
air. Heat may be the culprit.

Third, could the mix of programs you are running have changed significantly? If
so, adding more system memory may help out.

Fourth, do a disk cleanup to get rid of much of the temporary file garbage
cluttering up your system, slowing it down, and taxing its use of memory.

Without a more comprehensive description of the types of crashes you are
experiencing, this is about all I can suggest... Ben Myers

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 11:13:29 -0700, Neal Stoughton <nmstough@uci.edu> wrote:

>I have had a reliable G6-400 for many years, upgraded with a Powerleap, and
>running XP Pro.
>
>Just lately the system crashes and when I get back to look at the monitor, I
>have the message "operating system not found". Upon rebooting it boots fine
>from the hard disk fine until suddenly it crashes again with the
>aforementioned message. What could be going on?

carrie

Distinguished
May 4, 2004

Had that error message before.....Hard drive usually is GONE.....Maybe you
can give it a shrp tap and try to back up your important files or no joke
put in a freezer and then try to back up your stuff...heard it will work
sometimes....Good luck...Harry