Vibration-proof cooling for Xeon chip?

dd

I'm looking to create a cooling solution for my Pentium dual Xeon that will
be able to withstand vibration in an off-road vehicle. So I can't use heavy
heatsinks. What is the best cooling scheme that can withstand vibration
(and not too expensive)? Thanks

DD <dontsendhere@nospam.com> wrote:
> I'm looking to create a cooling solution for my Pentium
> dual Xeon that will be able to withstand vibration in an
> off-road vehicle. So I can't use heavy heatsinks. What is
> the best cooling scheme that can withstand vibration (and
> not too expensive)? Thanks

Heatpipes might not stand the vibration too well either
(unless carefully supported to limit metal fatigue).

Watercooling probably has the lightest block but brings
it's own problems.

Whichever solution you use, you will probably want to
reinforce the standard HSF mounting bracket.

-- Robert

dd

Thanks. What is a good way to reinforce the HSF mounting bracket? Should I
use a home made approach, or is there a product available to provide this
reinforcement?

"Robert Redelmeier" <redelm@ev1.net.invalid> wrote in message
> DD <dontsendhere@nospam.com> wrote:
>> I'm looking to create a cooling solution for my Pentium
>> dual Xeon that will be able to withstand vibration in an
>> off-road vehicle. So I can't use heavy heatsinks. What is
>> the best cooling scheme that can withstand vibration (and
>> not too expensive)? Thanks
>
> Heatpipes might not stand the vibration too well either
> (unless carefully supported to limit metal fatigue).
>
> Watercooling probably has the lightest block but brings
> it's own problems.
>
> Whichever solution you use, you will probably want to
> reinforce the standard HSF mounting bracket.
>
> -- Robert

DD <dontsendhere@nospam.com> wrote:
> Thanks. What is a good way to reinforce the HSF mounting
> bracket? Should I use a home made approach, or is there
> a product available to provide this reinforcement?

I don't know of any off-the-shelf. Personally, I'd go with a
6" square of (1/4-3/8)" plywood (fishpaper). Fender washers
around long screws going through the PCB and preferably
attaching directly to the heatblock. Maybe screw that
plywood block directly to the chassis (the big sandwich).

-- Robert