DDR configurations

I posted this on another forum, but got no replies

This is probably a generic question:

I have read that on an AMD 2800+ system, that having (2) 256 MB DDRs
are better than one 512MB, since the DDR dual function requires two
diff banks.

I have an ECS N2U400-A board which has 3 DDR slots and presently I have
a single 256MB ...should I get a second 256 to make the pair, or should
I get a 512 to just have more bulk memory?

Last question, if I have (2) 256, and I add a 512 later for the third
slot, do the pair still function in the dual DDR configuration?

TIA,
Stew Corman

Bitstring <1108570426.584897.289000@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>, from
the wonderful person scorman@stny.rr.com said
>I posted this on another forum, but got no replies
>
>This is probably a generic question:
>
>I have read that on an AMD 2800+ system, that having (2) 256 MB DDRs
>are better than one 512MB, since the DDR dual function requires two
>diff banks.

Yep, true. However the gain is a few %age points in most cases, so don't
worry about it a whole bunch.

>I have an ECS N2U400-A board which has 3 DDR slots and presently I have
>a single 256MB ...should I get a second 256 to make the pair, or should
>I get a 512 to just have more bulk memory?

Depends what you are going to do with it. You can never have 'too much'
memory IME, but the benefit of going to 768 instead of 512 is limited
for many users.

>Last question, if I have (2) 256, and I add a 512 later for the third
>slot, do the pair still function in the dual DDR configuration?

Should do, assuming you get 2*256 on one channel and the 512 on the
other channel (most motherboards require the two channels to be balanced
before they'll run in dual channel mode).

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can
SC recommends the use of Firefox; Get smart, or get assimilated.