MPEG-2 decoding chip question

I need some help understanding some basic concepts,
if someone would be so kind.

I just tried to run my first DVD video on a new system
using a VIA CLE266 chip and an LG DVD-ROM.

I wanted to see if the video would run w/o any other
software since the CLE266 has "...MPEG-2 decoding"

So the video starts up with the preliminary menu and
the I'm supposed to select some kind of configuration:

Auto-Detect
Comp Core
Direct Show

Anyway, I select Auto-Detect and then the DVD complains
that an MPEG-2 decoder could not be found.

???

Ok, the LG DVD-ROM came with Power DVD which I guess
is supposed to be good.. and I suspected that I would
need to install it.

But what is the purpose of having an MPEG-2 decoder
in the MB's chipset if you need software also?

Is it just performance?

Or is there some add'l driver I need to look for as well?
I think I installed all of the relevant VIA drivers.

Any help for this DVD newbie will be appreciated.

--
George Newton

George Newton wrote:
> I need some help understanding some basic concepts,
> if someone would be so kind.
>
> I just tried to run my first DVD video on a new system
> using a VIA CLE266 chip and an LG DVD-ROM.

I'm not familiar with that chip. Maybe you better tell us what kind of
motherboard and processor you have in there?

> I wanted to see if the video would run w/o any other
> software since the CLE266 has "...MPEG-2 decoding"

Uh no, that's not what the purpose of a MPEG2 decoder is. It's not an
automatic DVD player. The chip is simply supposed to assist software in
decoding MPEG2 video. These things used to be popular in the days when
the main processor wasn't powerful enough to decode the MPEG stream very
quickly on its own. It sort of acted like an alternative processor,
freeing up the main processor for other tasks.

These days nobody bothers with seperate MPEG decoders anymore. The main
processor should be powerful enough on its own.

Yousuf Khan

>................. If I'm not mistaken, the MPEG acceleration in VIA's
> newer MiniITX chipsets is supposed to enable HD MPEG-2 decoding on the
> relatively slow (1 GHz and less) C3 processors frequently used on those
> boards.

That's what I was thinking might be the case.

I have a newer Socket 370 with VIA's CLE266 which is the same chip
used on most of the mini-ITX boards, I believe.

So, what I'm trying to get clearer on, is when one has a motherboard
chip that decodes MPEG-2 (or perhaps a graphics card w/MPEG-2 decoding)
is one supposed to still need some type of software (like Power DVD)
to run DVD videos?

--
George Newton

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 07:53:51 -0500, Yousuf Khan <bbbl67@ezrs.com>
wrote:

>These days nobody bothers with seperate MPEG decoders anymore. The main
>processor should be powerful enough on its own.

but he's using a VIA... :p