WAN router to downstream router/print server?

shadowjack

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
I have a Netgear RP114 router. My system works great. But my printer is on one pc, and i have to turn on that pc to use it from my game machine. I use the game machine for internet now. So I need to print stuff more often.

I managed to get hold of a Speedstream 2604 router with a printer server/port built in. Tech support for this is nonexistant. Usenet has not been a help either, or it's Google database.

What I want to do is connect the 2604 to a regular port of the RP114 and use the 2604 just as a print server. No luck. I have connected one port of the RP114 to the WAN and regular ports of the 2604 and still can't talk to the 2604 or printer.

Any help about using this 2604 as a downstream router/printer server would be appreciated! The manuals are no help. Websites are no help, and I can't find suitable info on the net.

Fred

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
you started with the snide remark bud. all i was trying to do was clarify what you were trying to do, then you come back saying oh is that all you got? you gonna help now?

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal

shadowjack

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
Yeah, I did get carried away. Sorry. This thing is really pissing me off. No support whatsoever. I am trying to avoid spending more money on a print server. Guess it will have to weight.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
what you're going to have to do is set up the speedstream with a static IP address that's in the same subnet as the Netgear. Then hook up the speedstream to the netgear, both using lan ports. you may have to use a crossover cable (check the lights). Then install the speedstream print server software on your PC, and enter the IP address of the speedstream. you should (hopefully) be able to configure the speedstream print server. Also turn off the DHCP server in the speedstream.

BTW - it's always good to remain humble and appreciative. when looking for free help. Thats the only payment you can make.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

shadowjack

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
Thanks for the help! I was a bit rough on the other poster. I was in a really bad mood because of this thing. I will have to tell the person who gave the the original router that I can't use it, and hate to hurt a family members feelings...hate it. I tried using the router just as the primary router, and found out the print function is defective anyway! All this hassle! I will just eventually get a print server when I can afford it. Meanwhile, I will just use the other PC as a print server. Can't move the printer to the gaming machine because the Parallel port IRQ is assigned to the sound card. I put LAN AGP and SOUND all on their own IRQ's because I am having a problem with "stuttering" during some games. I finally found a benchmark program that says my memory and agp card are to fast for my cpu, so it is bottlnecking. But it's a new AMD XP2000+! So I ain't going to upgrade. Just try to find another solution. Good challange.

And if I did offend anyone, sorry. I get angry easily sometimes, as I am frustrated and disabled. Life is bad enough without all this incompatiblity crud.

Thanks again!

Fred

G

yeah. It is kinda tricky to set them up right.

Like jlanka said (I was just to shy to post earlier) try static IP in the right subnet.

In my case I put LPR (allows printing through TCP) on all the computers so I wouldn't have to have forty different network protocols installed.