NAV 2003 vs. 2004

TR

Someone asked me a question today that I could not answer but would
like to find out the answer for them and myself.

If running NAV Pro 2003 with fresh update subscription paid for…. Is
there any reason or need to goto the 2004 version with all the
activation junk built in? In other words, if one is subscribed to get
the updated virus definition files, does it matter if the definition
files are being used by version 2003 or 2004 of the NAV Engine?

Regards,
TR

If you shop around, one can usually find a special deal on NAV with an after
rebate price that is lower than the cost of a subscription,
In the USA, Staples and Comp USA often have such deals.

Indeed my NAV 2003 subscription expires later this month.
I purchased NAV 2004 last year and will be installing over NAV 2003 rather
than extending the subscription with NAV 2003.

Of course, this strategy works only if you need only 1 copy of NAV, as there
is a limit of 1 rebate per person.
However, I figure that I can get by having the latest NAV/updates only on
the system I use to connect to the internet.

--
http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 17:19:50 -0400, TR <fakeaddress@forspammers.com>
wrote:

>Someone asked me a question today that I could not answer but would
>like to find out the answer for them and myself.
>
>If running NAV Pro 2003 with fresh update subscription paid for…. Is
>there any reason or need to goto the 2004 version with all the
>activation junk built in? In other words, if one is subscribed to get
>the updated virus definition files, does it matter if the definition
>files are being used by version 2003 or 2004 of the NAV Engine?
>
>Regards,
>TR
Norton has the 2005 line up for pre-sale on their web site...so the
2004 stuff should be getting cheaper soon...

Glenn M

A GREAT DAY FOR FREEDOM...Pink Floyd

NAV 2004 has capabilities not in NAV 2003,
My NAV 2003 subscription expired Friday.
I installed NAV 2004 yesterday.
Ran a full scan last night.

Warned me about two alleged AdWare.IGetNet critters in a .zip file.
The .zip file has the sources for the examples in an advanced Visual Basic
book,
Indeed, two of those examples use techniques that are used by nasty Adware,
so NAV decided to warn me.

NAV is almost continuously available for no more than $9.99, after rebates
at places like Staples, Comp USA, Best Buy, etc.
As I recall, a subscription is more than $9.99.

So, if you only need to update a single system, it is less expensive to buy
the new version and one does get additional functionality.
For example, see
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=305475&pfp=SEARCH

And, there's even an offer for NAV 2004 Pro and NAV 2004 AntiSpam that is
FREE AFTER rebates. But one must act fast to get this offer.

--
<Glenn M> wrote in message
> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 17:19:50 -0400, TR <fakeaddress@forspammers.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Someone asked me a question today that I could not answer but would
> >like to find out the answer for them and myself.
> >
> >If running NAV Pro 2003 with fresh update subscription paid for.. Is
> >there any reason or need to goto the 2004 version with all the
> >activation junk built in? In other words, if one is subscribed to get
> >the updated virus definition files, does it matter if the definition
> >files are being used by version 2003 or 2004 of the NAV Engine?
> >
> >Regards,
> >TR
> Norton has the 2005 line up for pre-sale on their web site...so the
> 2004 stuff should be getting cheaper soon...
>
> Glenn M
>

> A GREAT DAY FOR FREEDOM...Pink Floyd

I just learned why NAV 2004 is FREE, as indicated below.
NAV 2004 Pro has been discontinued.
Replacement is the NAV 2005 3-pack (1 CD with 3 licenses).

--
"Howard Kaikow" <kaikow@standards.com> wrote in message
> NAV 2004 has capabilities not in NAV 2003,
> I installed NAV 2004 yesterday.
> Ran a full scan last night.
>
> Warned me about two alleged AdWare.IGetNet critters in a .zip file.
> The .zip file has the sources for the examples in an advanced Visual Basic
> book,
> Indeed, two of those examples use techniques that are used by nasty
Adware,
> so NAV decided to warn me.
>
> NAV is almost continuously available for no more than $9.99, after rebates
> at places like Staples, Comp USA, Best Buy, etc.
> As I recall, a subscription is more than $9.99.
>
> So, if you only need to update a single system, it is less expensive to
buy
> the new version and one does get additional functionality.
> For example, see

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=305475&pfp=SEARCH

> And, there's even an offer for NAV 2004 Pro and NAV 2004 AntiSpam that is
> FREE AFTER rebates. But one must act fast to get this offer.
>
> --
> http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.
> <Glenn M> wrote in message
> > On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 17:19:50 -0400, TR <fakeaddress@forspammers.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >Someone asked me a question today that I could not answer but would
> > >like to find out the answer for them and myself.
> > >
> > >If running NAV Pro 2003 with fresh update subscription paid for.. Is
> > >there any reason or need to goto the 2004 version with all the
> > >activation junk built in? In other words, if one is subscribed to get
> > >the updated virus definition files, does it matter if the definition
> > >files are being used by version 2003 or 2004 of the NAV Engine?
> > >
> > >Regards,
> > >TR
> > Norton has the 2005 line up for pre-sale on their web site...so the
> > 2004 stuff should be getting cheaper soon...
> >
> > Glenn M
> >

> > A GREAT DAY FOR FREEDOM...Pink Floyd

The problem is that newer versions tend to be written with newer hardware in
mind, at least as a general principle.

Those of us still happily running 7 year-old machines under Windows 98 may
be a little leary of updating to the lastest-and-greatest version of
software, be it NAV, Microsoft Office, or what have you.

I try to stick with subscriptions for my current version of NAV for as long
a possible. It might cost a few dollars more, but then who wants the
machine's performance reduced? It's worth it.

"Howard Kaikow" <kaikow@standards.com> wrote in message
....snip...

> NAV is almost continuously available for no more than $9.99, after rebates
> at places like Staples, Comp USA, Best Buy, etc.
> As I recall, a subscription is more than $9.99.
>
> So, if you only need to update a single system, it is less expensive to
buy
> the new version and one does get additional functionality.
> For example, see

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=305475&pfp=SEARCH

You could also switch to AVG which is free and has never given me problems
on any OS.

In news:I9iXc.517961$Gx4.481072@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net,
Gordon McLean, Jr. <g.d.mcleanStrikeThis@attStrikeThis.net> stated
| The problem is that newer versions tend to be written with newer
| hardware in mind, at least as a general principle.
|
| Those of us still happily running 7 year-old machines under Windows
| 98 may be a little leary of updating to the lastest-and-greatest
| version of software, be it NAV, Microsoft Office, or what have you.
|
| I try to stick with subscriptions for my current version of NAV for
| as long a possible. It might cost a few dollars more, but then who
| wants the machine's performance reduced? It's worth it.
|
| "Howard Kaikow" <kaikow@standards.com> wrote in message
| ...snip...
|| NAV is almost continuously available for no more than $9.99, after
|| rebates at places like Staples, Comp USA, Best Buy, etc.
|| As I recall, a subscription is more than $9.99.
|| So, if you only need to update a single system, it is less expensive
|| to buy the new version and one does get additional functionality.
|| For example, see

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=305475&pfp=SEARCH

AV software is not hardware dependent, other than checking the boot records
on drives, and that usually occurs only when rebooting or doing a full
system scan.

More recent AV software has additional features, such as Script and Worm
blocking that are necessary these daze.

--
http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.
"Gordon McLean, Jr." <g.d.mcleanStrikeThis@attStrikeThis.net> wrote in
> The problem is that newer versions tend to be written with newer hardware
in
> mind, at least as a general principle.
>
> Those of us still happily running 7 year-old machines under Windows 98 may
> be a little leary of updating to the lastest-and-greatest version of
> software, be it NAV, Microsoft Office, or what have you.
>
> I try to stick with subscriptions for my current version of NAV for as
long
> a possible. It might cost a few dollars more, but then who wants the
> machine's performance reduced? It's worth it.
>
> "Howard Kaikow" <kaikow@standards.com> wrote in message
> ...snip...
> >
> > NAV is almost continuously available for no more than $9.99, after
rebates
> > at places like Staples, Comp USA, Best Buy, etc.
> > As I recall, a subscription is more than $9.99.
> >
> > So, if you only need to update a single system, it is less expensive to
> buy
> > the new version and one does get additional functionality.
> > For example, see

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=305475&pfp=SEARCH

Sorry to pick nits, but I'm not sure what you mean by "hardware dependent".
NAV consists of software, i.e. coded algorithms, the choice of which depends
in part on the developers' perception of the horsepower available to the
software on clients' machines. They may very well choose an algorithm in
NAV 2004 that they would never have considered using in NAV 1998, because
the average machine today is 10x faster CPU-wise than it was then.
Similarly, machines have much more memory now in general, so again,
algorithms that are memory-intensive are now feasible, which would not have
been before.

I think you get my drift. Perhaps a more illustrative term would be
"bloat".

I'm certain NAV 2004 would run on my machine, which has 266MHz PII w/ 96Mb
of RAM under Windows 98, if that's what is meant by not being "hardware
dependent". I seriously doubt that it would run as efficiently as NAV 2000.

> AV software is not hardware dependent, other than checking the boot
records
> on drives, and that usually occurs only when rebooting or doing a full
> system scan.
>
> More recent AV software has additional features, such as Script and Worm
> blocking that are necessary these daze.
>
> --
> http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.
> "Gordon McLean, Jr." <g.d.mcleanStrikeThis@attStrikeThis.net> wrote in
> message news:I9iXc.517961$Gx4.481072@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> > The problem is that newer versions tend to be written with newer
hardware
> in
> > mind, at least as a general principle.
> >
> > Those of us still happily running 7 year-old machines under Windows 98
may
> > be a little leary of updating to the lastest-and-greatest version of
> > software, be it NAV, Microsoft Office, or what have you.
> >
> > I try to stick with subscriptions for my current version of NAV for as
> long
> > a possible. It might cost a few dollars more, but then who wants the
> > machine's performance reduced? It's worth it.
> >
> > "Howard Kaikow" <kaikow@standards.com> wrote in message
> > ...snip...
> > >
> > > NAV is almost continuously available for no more than $9.99, after
> rebates
> > > at places like Staples, Comp USA, Best Buy, etc.
> > > As I recall, a subscription is more than $9.99.
> > >
> > > So, if you only need to update a single system, it is less expensive
> > buy
> > > the new version and one does get additional functionality.
> > > For example, see

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=305475&pfp=SEARCH

I will run into this in about a month since my subscription to NAV 2001 will
expire. I'm tempted to go with the NAV 2004 mainly because of the improved
engine. My Dell has the NAV 2003, but it won't expire until 1/05, so I will
probably upgrade that then to either NAV 2004 or 2005, if available at the
time.