Basic Family Share plan just went up

Noticed a change on the website that the minimum plan being offered
under Family Share (at least in our zip code) went from $59.99 to
$69.99 while the minutes went from 500 to 700.

Lena

"Lena" <lenagainster@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Noticed a change on the website that the minimum plan being offered
> under Family Share (at least in our zip code) went from $59.99 to
> $69.99 while the minutes went from 500 to 700.
>
> Lena

I just checked the website for my area. The plan is listed just as you said.
$69.99 while the minutes went from 500 to 700

It was painful for us to make the switch from prepay to the $59.99
plan. There will be four of us on the family plan, (just started
7/15), so with the two extra lines plus taxes, our bill, without any
overages or added features, should run just under $100/month.
Previously, were were all using prepay, spending under $50/month for
airtime. We burned under 400 minutes per month, and this included
weekends and roaming at 4 minutes per minute used. So it seems
unlikely that with free weekends, and free m-m minutes, we will exceed
500 minutes per month. We want the least expensive plan, not a lot of
minutes that we will never use.

(Why did we switch from prepay and double our costs? The service,
using the old AT&T TDMA system, was deteriorating, and it was not worth
the frustration to be unable to make and receive calls.)

Lena

Bob Scheurle wrote:

> Just because the cheaper plans aren't on the web site doesn't mean they
> don't exist. Call Verizon or go visit a store and I'm sure you'll find
> the cheaper plans are still available.

One would think that would have to be the case. On Sunday, July 17,
2005, the Verizon ad in the Washington Post clearly indicated the
$59.99 family share plan. Can you imagine someone walking into a
Verizon store on Monday (18th) and asking for the plan they just
advertised and being told it was no longer available?

Lena

Verizon has rationalized that a minimum "family" line has the best value (to
VZW) at a $69.99 price point. It is a national program, so your area has
not been isolated. VZW is still tops in customer service, but trends are
VZW is: 1) maximizing their revenue per line (catching up to nextel)
2)creating a higher entry price point because they believe average family
usage is best served with higher minutes.

In my opinion: you can expect to see the $59.99 price point back within the
next 3 months... they are flying a "trial" to see how the market responds.
Folks just need to vote with their pocketbooks. I'd wouldn't be surprised
if VZW's comeback is a $49.99 2-line Family Share with 500 minutes (imho) dr
--
dr.news Better Price? (not better than you deserve, just more than you are
used to)

"L'l John" <je_norrisstopspam@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Lena" <lenagainster@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Noticed a change on the website that the minimum plan being offered
>> under Family Share (at least in our zip code) went from $59.99 to
>> $69.99 while the minutes went from 500 to 700.
>>
>> Lena
>>

> I just checked the website for my area. The plan is listed just as you
> said.
> $69.99 while the minutes went from 500 to 700

I don't know if I agree. I know about 1/2 of the customers I sold on the
old $49.99/500 peak minute plan came back later and "upgraded" to a bigger
plan. I feel this is actually good for the 3 phone familys thou....500 was
really not enough with 3, but with 700 its better. Now don't get me wrong,
I know lots of people (my mom and dad with 400 shared) don't need the extra
minutes....but will you get more use-value from your phone with the extra
minutes.

Just my opinion

ps...I know VZW will always try to MAX-imize profit....but this is good for
most??

ShackAttack

On 18 Jul 2005 10:39:44 -0700, "Lena" <lenagainster@gmail.com> wrote:
>Noticed a change on the website that the minimum plan being offered
>under Family Share (at least in our zip code) went from $59.99 to
>$69.99 while the minutes went from 500 to 700.

Just because the cheaper plans aren't on the web site doesn't mean they
don't exist. Call Verizon or go visit a store and I'm sure you'll find
the cheaper plans are still available.

--
Bob Scheurle | "There's nobody getting
njtbob@X-verizon-X.net | rich writing software."

ShackAttack wrote:
> I don't know if I agree. I know about 1/2 of the customers I sold on the
> old $49.99/500 peak minute plan came back later and "upgraded" to a bigger
> plan. I feel this is actually good for the 3 phone familys thou....500 was
> really not enough with 3, but with 700 its better.

We are on the $49.99 + 9.99 for three phones and we use many hundreds of
minutes, but they are IN and off-peak/weekends. Whether 500 peak is
enough I guess depends on who you talk to.

One of the big selling points about VZW service is In Calling, certainly
over the last year or so, family plans have been pushed with that feature.
IF half of your people have come back to add minutes, that would mean that
half have not come back, there is still a market for an entry level. On a
personal level, the most peak minutes I have used in a month is under 100
minutes. Virtually all of my calling is either off-peak or In Calling. One
of the factors in selecting Verizon is that my entire family is already on
Verizon.

Carl
"ShackAttack" <shackattack6089@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I don't know if I agree. I know about 1/2 of the customers I sold on the
> old $49.99/500 peak minute plan came back later and "upgraded" to a bigger
> plan. I feel this is actually good for the 3 phone familys thou....500
was
> really not enough with 3, but with 700 its better. Now don't get me
wrong,
> I know lots of people (my mom and dad with 400 shared) don't need the
extra
> minutes....but will you get more use-value from your phone with the extra
> minutes.
>
> Just my opinion
>
> ps...I know VZW will always try to MAX-imize profit....but this is good
for
> most??
>
> ShackAttack
>

> "dr.news" <dr.news@better-price.biz.delete-the-obvious> wrote in message
> > Verizon has rationalized that a minimum "family" line has the best value
> > (to VZW) at a $69.99 price point. It is a national program, so your
area
> > has not been isolated. VZW is still tops in customer service, but
trends
> > are VZW is: 1) maximizing their revenue per line (catching up to nextel)
> > 2)creating a higher entry price point because they believe average
family
> > usage is best served with higher minutes.
> >
> > In my opinion: you can expect to see the $59.99 price point back within
> > the next 3 months... they are flying a "trial" to see how the market
> > responds. Folks just need to vote with their pocketbooks. I'd wouldn't
> > be surprised if VZW's comeback is a $49.99 2-line Family Share with 500
> > minutes (imho) dr
> > --
> > dr.news Better Price? (not better than you deserve, just more than you
> > are used to)
> > If I can help: dr.news@better-price.biz.delete-the-obvious or thru
this
> > notes forum.
> > home of the better priced phone and service:
> > http://free.better-price.biz
> >
> > "L'l John" <je_norrisstopspam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Lena" <lenagainster@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >> I just checked the website for my area. The plan is listed just as you
> >> said.
> >> $69.99 while the minutes went from 500 to 700

> One would think that would have to be the case. On Sunday, July 17,
> 2005, the Verizon ad in the Washington Post clearly indicated the
> $59.99 family share plan. Can you imagine someone walking into a
> Verizon store on Monday (18th) and asking for the plan they just
> advertised and being told it was no longer available?
>
> Lena

I learned of the change in family plans the week before they implemented it,
so I changed my 800 min AC1 family plan to the 1000 min AC2 family plan
on the last day they offered the plan (same price: 79.99). I did not choose
to upgrade my phones using my NE2 credit on that Friday however. Yesterday,
I selected the phones I wanted and called them to use the NE2. They wanted
to bump me out of the 1000 min plan I had just switched to and into one of their
new tiers. I was livid and told them they had been pushing this 1000 min plan
on me and, after finally accepting their offer, they now wanted me to switch me
again? I escalated the complaint up to the supervisor and they "allowed" me
to keep the 1000 min plan while doing the NE2 phone upgrades, despite the apparent
policy of requiring customers to move into currently promoted plans when they
upgrade their phones using NE2.

Phil

Nope (correcting my own reply). The 500 minute share plan is alive, well
and available for new or existing customers. CS did not know (or care) why
the web site doesn't show it. VZW is pushing the higher volume plan in
advertising, and supporting it by intentionally making the 500 family share
plan absent from the web site. If you call CS, you'll find out that you can
sign up for it, and any store / agent that activates you will have the
ability to give you the full offering of all the plans. Its still in their
system, just not on the web.

Duh: are you actually surprised that VZW would promote a more expensive
plan? Make no mistake, it is all about the MONEY. The only disappointment
is the intentional absence of the plan from the web. That's unfair. But
you already know, they are not required to act in good faith or be fair.
When they reinforce being unfair by their behavior, then it stops being just
my opinion. dr.
--

"CharlesH" <hoch@exemplary.invalid> wrote in message
> ShackAttack wrote:
>> I don't know if I agree. I know about 1/2 of the customers I sold on the
>> old $49.99/500 peak minute plan came back later and "upgraded" to a
>> bigger plan. I feel this is actually good for the 3 phone familys
>> thou....500 was really not enough with 3, but with 700 its better.
>
> We are on the $49.99 + 9.99 for three phones and we use many hundreds of
> minutes, but they are IN and off-peak/weekends. Whether 500 peak is enough
> I guess depends on who you talk to.

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 14:39:24 GMT, "dr.news"
<dr.news@better-price.biz.delete-the-obvious> wrote:
>Nope (correcting my own reply). The 500 minute share plan is alive, well
>and available for new or existing customers. CS did not know (or care) why
>the web site doesn't show it. VZW is pushing the higher volume plan in
>advertising, and supporting it by intentionally making the 500 family share
>plan absent from the web site. If you call CS, you'll find out that you can
>sign up for it, and any store / agent that activates you will have the
>ability to give you the full offering of all the plans. Its still in their
>system, just not on the web.

I'm sure the brochures available at any Verizon store, Radio Shack, and
other outlets show all the plans. So it's not like they're trying to
hide the other plans. Instead of some grand conspiracy, it's probably
just lack of attention to detail by the people running the web site.

--
Bob Scheurle | "There's nobody getting
njtbob@X-verizon-X.net | rich writing software."
Remove X's and dashes | -- Bill Gates, March 1980

Yes, it's about money. I'm not sure what else it could be about,
unless you want the government running the cell phone industry. At
least Verizon understands that to make money you have to have a
reliable network. Sprint certainly never understood that when I was
a customer.

Bob Scheurle wrote:
> Instead of some grand conspiracy, it's probably
> just lack of attention to detail by the people running the web site.

A quote from the website:

"Sign up on a Family SharePlan® starting at $69.99 monthly access for
2 lines and get additional lines for just $9.99 monthly access per
line*. "

I read the phrase "starting at" to mean that's where the rates *start*.

Perhaps the $59.99 plan with 500 minutes will remain available for a
while, until most forget about it or don't know about it, and it will
be history, just like the $19.99 starting plans.

Lena

Lena wrote:
> Bob Scheurle wrote:
>> Instead of some grand conspiracy, it's probably
>> just lack of attention to detail by the people running
>> the web site.
>
> A quote from the website:
>
> "Sign up on a Family SharePlan® starting at $69.99
> monthly access for 2 lines and get additional lines for
> just $9.99 monthly access per line*. "
>
> I read the phrase "starting at" to mean that's where the
> rates *start*.
>
> Perhaps the $59.99 plan with 500 minutes will remain
> available for a while, until most forget about it or
> don't know about it, and it will be history, just like
> the $19.99 starting plans.

I doubt that it has anything to do with "people forgetting
about it" and everything to do with when they remove
it from the system. When you "end of life" something
you usually do it with a grace period of time where it's not
offered any more but still available in the system. That
way you don't end up leaving your sales force or channels
swinging when they offered it to a customer last month, etc.

-Quick

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have the 59.99 plan which is one phone for 39.99 plus $20 for the next
phone. If I want a third phone it will cost another $20 under that plan.
With the new plan it costs 69.99 for 2 phones and 9.99 for the third phone.
Both add up to $80 for 3 phones. The first plan gave me 500 minutes and the
new plan gives me 700 minutes.

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 10:10:18 -0400, "Richard" <rick749@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Perhaps the $59.99 plan with 500 minutes will remain available for a
>while, until most forget about it or don't know about it, and it will
>be history, just like the $19.99 starting plans.

If I recall my discussion with Cust Serv correctly there is also an
issue with Roaming. I have the "old" plan and can renew that plan if
I so choose...the roaming issue is that under the new plan there will
be no "automatic" roaming...under the old plan there is. It seems
that too many people complained that they didn't know they were
roaming with the old plan and then got hit with what they thought were
excessive charges. Under the new plan you have to choose to roam.

Pegleg
U.S. Navy Retired
Support Our Troops

All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words:
freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Sir Winston Churchill

As viewed from alt.cellular.verizon, Pegleg wrote:

>Under the new plan you have to choose to roam.

How do you choose to roam?

--
Jafo

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 07:40:49 -0700, Jafo <a@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>How do you choose to roam?

I have no idea...as I said I have the old plan with automatic roaming
and will renew under that plan this month.
Just passing on what I was told.

Pegleg wrote:
> I have the old plan with automatic roaming
> and will renew under that plan this month.

The new plan does not allow roaming. That's good news and bad news,
depending on where you use the phone. In general, in some areas where
the old plan allowed roaming, the new plan will not work except for
emergency calls. But there are exceptions, and in a few areas if you
are on the old plan, you will be roaming and paying for it, while on
the new plan, the same area is covered and the call is not considered
roaming. (Oh, don't ask me to prove it; it was information I read from
one of the many technical sources I found on the 'net regarding Verizon
coverage.)

When I was considering Verizon, it was important for me to know
beforehand if a certan area was covered. The Verizon website's
coverage map did ot provide sufficient detail, but at a Circuit City
Store, the rep had a map on his computer that was detailed down to the
street level, showing coverage (extended area) in the places I was
interested in.

If you renew, there is a chance that in places where you roam under the
old plan, you might be covered under the new, and it may be worth
checking out.

AFAIC, sharing the costs among 4 phones on a Family Plan, not having
roaming charges is a better deal, so that we won't fight over who ran
up those 45 cent per minute charges.

Lena

On 1 Aug 2005 15:20:15 -0700, "Lena" <lenagainster@gmail.com> wrote:

at a Circuit City
>Store, the rep had a map on his computer that was detailed down to the
>street level, showing coverage (extended area) in the places I was
>interested in.

Thanks...I'll make a trip to CC and check out the map.

Pegleg wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 07:40:49 -0700, Jafo
> <a@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
>> How do you choose to roam?
>
> I have no idea...
> Just passing on what I was told.

It's wrong. ACII does not have the option of roaming.
There are huge threads on this from when it first came
out.

-Quick

Pegleg <brian-s-jones@comcast.spam.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 10:10:18 -0400, "Richard" <rick749@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Perhaps the $59.99 plan with 500 minutes will remain available for a
>>while, until most forget about it or don't know about it, and it will
>>be history, just like the $19.99 starting plans.
>
> If I recall my discussion with Cust Serv correctly there is also an
> issue with Roaming. I have the "old" plan and can renew that plan if
> I so choose...the roaming issue is that under the new plan there will
> be no "automatic" roaming...under the old plan there is. It seems
> that too many people complained that they didn't know they were
> roaming with the old plan and then got hit with what they thought were
> excessive charges. Under the new plan you have to choose to roam.

How can you choose to roam? My understanding is that there is no
roaming available on the new plans. If you are not able to make a
call on the Verizon network, then you can't make a call at all. If you
can force a roam, I would like to know how.

Jeff