Sign in with
Your question

New motherboard old hard drive windows 7

Last response: in Windows 7
November 11, 2010 7:04:15 PM

I recently changed the motherboard in my PC. I stayed with the same brand (Biostar)but different model.
The NorthBridge chipset is different but the SouthBridge is the same.
The first time I powered it up, it went thru the BIOS screen and then went right on to the screen that said "Starting Windows" but the Windows logo never appeared and it just sat there and would not finish loading the OS.
I powered it off and re-started it and chose the "repair system" option that came up. It gave me a screen that said "Windows is Loading Files". Once the files were loaded it again, just sat there and would not do anything.
I tried booting with the Windows 7 disk from the CD/DVD drive but that was a no go as well!?
I was concerned that the optical drive had developed a problem so I unplgged the SATA cable from the HDD and then put UBUNTU in the CD/DVD drive and it loaded fine!?
I now suspect that I will have to remove the HDD, format it and re-install it to accomplish what I want to do. I am assuming that Windows is rejecting the hardware change and being downright stubborn about the whole chipset difference thing.
Does anyone have an easy, surefire way to get the existing install of Windows to boot without having to re-format my HDD?

a c 295 V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
November 11, 2010 7:24:03 PM

Hi nopans and welcome to Tom's forum.

If you want avoid those problems and get the better performance, you need a clean installation, more when the "Repair OS" can't do anything.

And the SB isn't the only thing than change in your mobo, even, if the components are from the same manufacturer, those aren't the same version/revision.
m
l
November 12, 2010 4:12:29 PM

Hello saint19

Thanks for your reply, welcome and advice.

I tried your suggestion. Re-formatted my harddrive and stuck in the Windows CD to do a clean install and it is still doing the same thing. After it loads files it gives me the screen that says "Starting Windows" and just sits there!? Will not go ahead with the new install.

That is exactly what it was doing previously!?

I shut it down and restarted it and tried again. Now it won't do anything and is giving me a message that says; "NTLDR is missing" press "CTRL+ALT+DEL" to restart.

Any thoughts?

m
l
Related resources
a c 295 V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
November 12, 2010 4:18:57 PM

What HD are you using?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
November 12, 2010 4:30:25 PM

The type of repair you need is only available with Windows 7 if the system will boot to the desktop and the repair run from there. A startup repair will not help. A clean install will be required.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-instal...
m
l
November 12, 2010 5:00:22 PM

saint19 said:
What HD are you using?

I am using a Maxtor / DiamondMax 10 / 160GB / 7200 / 8MB / SATA-300 / RoHS / OEM / Hard Drive.
m
l
November 12, 2010 5:06:13 PM

badge said:
The type of repair you need is only available with Windows 7 if the system will boot to the desktop and the repair run from there. A startup repair will not help. A clean install will be required.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-instal...

Hey Badge

The system will not boot to the desktop. There is no OS installed. I have re-formatted my HD and am trying for a clean install but it will not install windows as previously stated.

It will beep on power up and load the Windows files and then it gives me a window that says "Starting Windows" and just sits there!? It will not continue with the new install.
m
l
November 13, 2010 9:34:16 PM

Allright, here's the deal.

I had to disable the USB 2.0 support in the BIOS to get Windows 7 64 bit installed but I got past that hurdle. I found that fix in some threads on this site.

Now that I have gotten the OS installed and can boot to Windows I still have some aggravating problems!

The first issue I would like to cure is that when I get booted to Windows, I can connect all of my USB peripherals and Windows will recognize them and install them and they all work fine. Then when you least expect it, Windows will just decide to shut down; no matter what settings you make with regards to turning off the display or putting the computer to sleep or shutting down!? Then I have to go thru the process of rebooting about 3 times, resetting the BIOS to disable the USB 2.0 support to get the system to boot to Windows again.

Do not know what the problem is but it is really aggravating.

It seems like everytime you make a hardware change, you have to go thru this aggravation for a week or two. I really don't know why everything can't just work right out of the box!?

Anybody have any ideas as to the USB thing? Would appreciate some help.

Thanks
m
l
!