Help with 100% CPU usage

I am attempting to run a Poker program which worked fine two weeks ago
but now when i run it is incredibly slow,having checked task manager
the CPU Usage is 100% for this program,any ideas on how to resolve
this. In laymans terms as well please as i am not very clued up to
say the least.
9 answers Last reply
More about help usage

    Yates003 wrote:
    > I am attempting to run a Poker program which worked fine two weeks
    ago
    > but now when i run it is incredibly slow,having checked task manager
    > the CPU Usage is 100% for this program,any ideas on how to resolve
    > this. In laymans terms as well please as i am not very clued up to
    > say the least.

    Have you run a spyware checker against it?

    Yousuf Khan

    On 23 Feb 2005 11:16:56 -0500, dyates4@orange-dot-net.no-spam.invalid
    (Yates003) wrote:

    >I am attempting to run a Poker program which worked fine two weeks ago
    >but now when i run it is incredibly slow,having checked task manager
    >the CPU Usage is 100% for this program,any ideas on how to resolve
    >this. In laymans terms as well please as i am not very clued up to
    >say the least.

    Did you download this from the net? Is it from some porn site or is it
    something like strip poker? If it is, most likely it's a trojan that's
    now doing other stuff like spamming people.

    (Yates003) wrote:

    >I am attempting to run a Poker program which worked fine two weeks ago
    >but now when i run it is incredibly slow,having checked task manager
    >the CPU Usage is 100% for this program,any ideas on how to resolve
    >this. In laymans terms as well please as i am not very clued up to
    >say the least.

    Format and re-install!
    </Outsourced Indian tech support>

    Seriously though, it could be damn near anything, though the two most
    likely possibilities are that it's a bug in the program or it some
    sort of malware (adware, spyware, virus, trojan, etc.) These days I
    would say that the latter is more likely. Ohh, and even if you're
    virus scanner doesn't pick up anything that's by no means a guarantee,
    virus scanners only pick up ~10% (very rough guess) of harmful
    programs that might be on your computer. Better than nothing, but by
    no means a sure-thing.

    -------------
    Tony Hill

    Yates003 wrote:
    > I am attempting to run a Poker program which worked fine two weeks
    > ago
    > but now when i run it is incredibly slow,having checked task
    manager
    > the CPU Usage is 100% for this program,any ideas on how to resolve
    > this. In laymans terms as well please as i am not very clued up to
    > say the least.

    Have you run a spyware checker against it?

    Yousuf KhanI have ran loads of them MS
    Beta,Spybot,Norton to name a few and the problem still persists. I
    have removed the programme and re-installed it but still no joy

    > The little lost angelwrote:
    On 23 Feb 2005 11:16:56 -0500,
    dyates4@orange-dot-net.no-spam.invalid
    > (Yates003) wrote:
    >
    > I am attempting to run a Poker program which worked fine two weeks
    ago
    > but now when i run it is incredibly slow,having checked task
    manager
    > the CPU Usage is 100% for this program,any ideas on how to resolve
    > this. In laymans terms as well please as i am not very clued up to
    > say the least.

    Did you download this from the net? Is it from some *** site or is it
    something like strip poker? If it is, most likely it's a trojan
    that's
    now doing other stuff like spamming people.
    If you need basic to med complexity webpages at affordable rates,
    email me :)
    But keep in mind you pay extra bandwidth for their bloated
    code

    Yeah downloaded it from the net,it is from william hill poker,any
    ideas on how to resolve it??

    > Tony Hillwrote:
    On 23 Feb 2005 11:16:56 -0500,
    dyates4@orange-dot-net.no-spam.invalid
    > (Yates003) wrote:
    >
    > I am attempting to run a Poker program which worked fine two weeks
    ago
    > but now when i run it is incredibly slow,having checked task
    manager
    > the CPU Usage is 100% for this program,any ideas on how to resolve
    > this. In laymans terms as well please as i am not very clued up to
    > say the least.

    Format and re-install!
    </Outsourced Indian tech support>

    Seriously though, it could be *** near anything, though the two most
    likely possibilities are that it's a bug in the program or it some
    sort of malware (adware, spyware, virus, trojan, etc.) These days I
    would say that the latter is more likely. Ohh, and even if you're
    virus scanner doesn't pick up anything that's by no means a
    guarantee,
    virus scanners only pick up ~10% (very rough guess) of harmful
    programs that might be on your computer. Better than nothing, but by
    no means a sure-thing.

    -------------
    Tony Hill
    ca
    That is what others have advised about the malware but despite running
    various spyware/adware removal programs nothing seems to fix it.

    Yates003 wrote:
    > > YKhanwrote:
    > Have you run a spyware checker against it?
    >
    > Yousuf KhanI have ran loads of them MS
    > Beta,Spybot,Norton to name a few and the problem still persists. I
    > have removed the programme and re-installed it but still no joy

    Now, when you ran the task manager did you check to see which specific
    program was using up all that CPU time? Was it the poker program
    itself, or is it some other process running in the background?

    Yousuf Khan

    Yates003 wrote:
    > YKhanwrote:
    > Have you run a spyware checker against it?
    >
    > Yousuf KhanI have ran loads of them MS
    Beta,Spybot,Norton to name a few and the problem still persists. I
    have removed the programme and re-installed it but still no joy

    Now, when you ran the task manager did you check to see which
    specific
    program was using up all that CPU time? Was it the poker program
    itself, or is it some other process running in the background?

    Yousuf Khan
    It was the poker programme itself using up all the CPU

    Dude, it's the programme itself that IS the malware, most likely. The
    virus/spy/malware checkers aren't finding it because it is one they
    don't recognize...but it seems most likely that the program, in the
    very least, is badly written (memory leaky?) or actually harmful, and
    your real choice now is to

    STOP PLAYING IT!

    try downloading another program from somewhere else, perhaps a more
    well-known site?

    good luck

    ---pam, who has been a poker widow IRL for many a year before it was
    COOL...just ask! i've watched my ex compete in the WSOP a bunch of
    times!

CPUs Hardware