Intel quietly dropping the "4"

Intel seems to dropping the "4" out of the "Pentium 4", we're back to
just plain old "Pentium" again.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=21517

Yousuf Khan
8 answers Last reply
More about intel quietly dropping
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

    Yousuf Khan said the following on 3/1/2005 12:10 PM:
    > Intel seems to dropping the "4" out of the "Pentium 4", we're back to
    > just plain old "Pentium" again.
    >
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=21517

    Does this mean my 90MHz Pentium is back in fashion? I knew they'd come
    back some day.

    :)
    Lance
    *****
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

    >Intel seems to dropping the "4" out of the "Pentium 4", we're back to
    >just plain old "Pentium" again.
    >
    >http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=21517
    >
    > Yousuf Khan

    Why can't Intel just call the new dual-core chip "Pentium V",
    "Pentium 5" or "Pentium 64" and get over with it?
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

    On 1 Mar 2005 12:10:30 -0800, "Yousuf Khan" <yjkhan@gmail.com> wrote:

    >Intel seems to dropping the "4" out of the "Pentium 4", we're back to
    >just plain old "Pentium" again.
    >
    >http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=21517
    >
    > Yousuf Khan

    I was wondering what they were going to do, there really isn't much room
    left to put more numbers and letters on the Intel Inside logo/case
    badges. :)

    Ed
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

    "Yousuf Khan" <yjkhan@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Intel seems to dropping the "4" out of the "Pentium 4", we're back to
    > just plain old "Pentium" again.
    >
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=21517
    >
    > Yousuf Khan

    It's a good thing too!!!! Other wise I could see lots of confused "techies"
    when all of the sudden Intel starts talking P5 architecture :-P

    Carlo
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

    On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 17:40:38 -0800, Lance <lltbhill@link_earth.net>
    wrote:

    >Yousuf Khan said the following on 3/1/2005 12:10 PM:
    >> Intel seems to dropping the "4" out of the "Pentium 4", we're back to
    >> just plain old "Pentium" again.
    >>
    >> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=21517
    >
    >Does this mean my 90MHz Pentium is back in fashion? I knew they'd come
    >back some day.
    >
    >:)
    >Lance
    >*****
    Can you slap a letter D on it?
    http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=2363
    By the way, who is the copyright holder on this letter? ;-)
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

    "Lance" <lltbhill@link_earth.net> wrote in message
    > Yousuf Khan said the following on 3/1/2005 12:10 PM:
    >> Intel seems to dropping the "4" out of the "Pentium 4", we're back to
    >> just plain old "Pentium" again.
    >>
    >> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=21517
    >
    > Does this mean my 90MHz Pentium is back in fashion? I knew they'd come
    > back some day.

    I had a 100 Mhz Pentium b :-)
    b mean math bug (do you remember ?)
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

    Gilles Vollant wrote:

    > I had a 100 Mhz Pentium b :-)

    Oh, my Pentium 133 was MUCH faster than yours heh! :-P
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

    On 1 Mar 2005 12:10:30 -0800, "Yousuf Khan" <yjkhan@gmail.com> wrote:

    >>Intel seems to dropping the "4" out of the "Pentium 4", we're back to
    >>just plain old "Pentium" again.
    >>
    >>http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=21517
    >>
    >> Yousuf Khan

    Great news, maybe I'll be able to sell off my old Pentium for a few
    hundred bucks again :pPpP

CPUs Hardware Pentium Intel