I also need help with CPU running at 100%

Tags:
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
Share
March 4, 2005 8:37:12 PM

In the last couple of weeks my PC was starting to run really slow. I
brought the Windows Task Manager up and the CPU was running at 100%.
If i'm on the net its the iexplore.exe that runs at about 95%. If i'm
not on the net its explore.exe that runs at 95%. I've de-fragged the
HD and also scanned it with an antispyware program but the problem is
still the same. Can anyone help? please

More about : cpu running 100

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 5, 2005 3:25:01 AM

Mankind wrote:
> In the last couple of weeks my PC was starting to run really slow. I
> brought the Windows Task Manager up and the CPU was running at 100%.
> If i'm on the net its the iexplore.exe that runs at about 95%. If i'm
> not on the net its explore.exe that runs at 95%. I've de-fragged the
> HD and also scanned it with an antispyware program but the problem is
> still the same. Can anyone help? please

Checked to make sure that all of your drives are running with DMA mode on?

Yousuf Khan
March 6, 2005 12:38:05 AM

Sorry i'm not sure what the DMA mode is. :oops:  I wouldn't know where
to turn it on or off. Please could you tell me how or where this is
a b à CPUs
March 6, 2005 7:41:51 PM

Mankind wrote:
> Sorry i'm not sure what the DMA mode is. :oops:  I wouldn't know where
> to turn it on or off. Please could you tell me how or where this is

Depends on which version of Windows you're using. Assuming XP, just go
to Control Panel, System, Device Manager, IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers, and
click on Properties to either Primary or Secondary IDE channels.

Yousuf Khan
March 10, 2005 5:16:32 PM

No its not msmsgs.exe that i'm having the problem with. Its only the
iexplore.exe and explore.exe that are causing me problems.
I'd try the advice above but wouldn't know where to start. I do have
windows XP but i haven't messed about with my controllers before so
why would they change over night?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 10, 2005 11:36:45 PM

On 10 Mar 2005 14:16:32 -0500,
jason@cox1203.fsnet.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid (Mankind) wrote:

>No its not msmsgs.exe that i'm having the problem with. Its only the
>iexplore.exe and explore.exe that are causing me problems.
>I'd try the advice above but wouldn't know where to start. I do have
>windows XP but i haven't messed about with my controllers before so
>why would they change over night?

Do you have anti-virus software *with* latest signatures? Which
anti-spyware did you run? None of them catch everything so if you ran
Ad-Aware, e.g., try Spybot S&D too. Also try using something like Taskinfo
to get better info on running tasks. Most of the useful share/freeware can
be found at www.majorgeeks.com.

Is this WinXP SP2 and do you have Windows Firewall turned on? Do you have
Remote Assistance turned on? Have you run MSCONFIG to check for possible
rogue/suspicious software in Startup.

You might get a better answer if you specify in more detail what is
happening: is it only an open Explorer window which uses up CPU time and if
so does it matter which folder is present?... or is it even when the only
Explorer is the desktop?

--
Rgds, George Macdonald
November 14, 2008 5:23:17 PM

Look its quite simply end ie.
download a block for sp3
Sp3 is to get you to buy vista, truth

download block for ie 7
Save your favorites from IE to Desktop, compress zip or folder
unistall Ie get rid of this crap

Reinstall IE 4 thats it!

No more internet from Microsoft.

Download Firefox 3
download FIre Fox updates.
Add to Firewall the port it uses.
addons from mozilla
Add flash shockwave, java blocker
CNet.com download revo and DAO to help downloads.
!