I also need help with CPU running at 100%

In the last couple of weeks my PC was starting to run really slow. I
brought the Windows Task Manager up and the CPU was running at 100%.
If i'm on the net its the iexplore.exe that runs at about 95%. If i'm
not on the net its explore.exe that runs at 95%. I've de-fragged the
HD and also scanned it with an antispyware program but the problem is
still the same. Can anyone help? please
6 answers Last reply
More about running

    Mankind wrote:
    > In the last couple of weeks my PC was starting to run really slow. I
    > brought the Windows Task Manager up and the CPU was running at 100%.
    > If i'm on the net its the iexplore.exe that runs at about 95%. If i'm
    > not on the net its explore.exe that runs at 95%. I've de-fragged the
    > HD and also scanned it with an antispyware program but the problem is
    > still the same. Can anyone help? please

    Checked to make sure that all of your drives are running with DMA mode on?

    Yousuf Khan

    Sorry i'm not sure what the DMA mode is. :oops: I wouldn't know where
    to turn it on or off. Please could you tell me how or where this is

    Mankind wrote:
    > Sorry i'm not sure what the DMA mode is. :oops: I wouldn't know where
    > to turn it on or off. Please could you tell me how or where this is

    Depends on which version of Windows you're using. Assuming XP, just go
    to Control Panel, System, Device Manager, IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers, and
    click on Properties to either Primary or Secondary IDE channels.

    Yousuf Khan

    No its not msmsgs.exe that i'm having the problem with. Its only the
    iexplore.exe and explore.exe that are causing me problems.
    I'd try the advice above but wouldn't know where to start. I do have
    windows XP but i haven't messed about with my controllers before so
    why would they change over night?

    On 10 Mar 2005 14:16:32 -0500,
    jason@cox1203.fsnet.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid (Mankind) wrote:

    >No its not msmsgs.exe that i'm having the problem with. Its only the
    >iexplore.exe and explore.exe that are causing me problems.
    >I'd try the advice above but wouldn't know where to start. I do have
    >windows XP but i haven't messed about with my controllers before so
    >why would they change over night?

    Do you have anti-virus software *with* latest signatures? Which
    anti-spyware did you run? None of them catch everything so if you ran
    Ad-Aware, e.g., try Spybot S&D too. Also try using something like Taskinfo
    to get better info on running tasks. Most of the useful share/freeware can
    be found at www.majorgeeks.com.

    Is this WinXP SP2 and do you have Windows Firewall turned on? Do you have
    Remote Assistance turned on? Have you run MSCONFIG to check for possible
    rogue/suspicious software in Startup.

    You might get a better answer if you specify in more detail what is
    happening: is it only an open Explorer window which uses up CPU time and if
    so does it matter which folder is present?... or is it even when the only
    Explorer is the desktop?

    --
    Rgds, George Macdonald
  6. Look its quite simply end ie.

    download block for ie 7
    Save your favorites from IE to Desktop, compress zip or folder
    unistall Ie get rid of this crap

    Reinstall IE 4 thats it!

    No more internet from Microsoft.

    Download Firefox 3
    download FIre Fox updates.
    Add to Firewall the port it uses.
    addons from mozilla
    Add flash shockwave, java blocker
    CNet.com download revo and DAO to help downloads.

CPUs